X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First week on PD

Good morning all. Very nice to find this forum. In up at 4:30 am on a Sunday morning, 5th day of PD with my Fresenius cycler. Overall, I'm feeling amazed and deep gratitude for the existence of this technology. Why am I up at this hour? Well my phosphorus is still high (6.3) and the damn itching is killing me. Please tell me this goes away or at least gets better over time. A bit of background, my kidney disease started with acute renal failure at the age of 7 from a spider bite. I'm now 40, and it just finally caught up with me last week. I'm in great health otherwise, and am generally excited about what I'm hearing from my nephrologist and nurses. I thought that feeling old and run down was just part of turning 40, but apparently I should be feeling much better than I have. There are a few things that are bothering me though
    1. The ITCHING . Especially at night. Can't sleep for hours at a time. I'm following my diet strictly, and it's only been a week, so maybe I have to be patient.Suggestions are most welcome

2. Weird tiredness (possibly from bad sleep). In the past few days, I've noticed that after any big meal ( I've got a great appetite), I completely "zonk" out about 20-30 minutes after eating. I literally pass out tired for an hour.

Other than these issues I have already noticed a lot of positive changes. I can walk several miles now at a brisk pace and my heart beat refuses to rise above about 85 bpm, where as a month ago I was panting for air in the first mile. I'll take that as a good sign!

Best to all
    Martin

So glad to see (hear) that your PD is working good for you. That news is encouraging to me as I have stage 5 ckd. My nephrologist says that I'll be on dialysis soon. I really don't want it because of all the bad things I've read concerning it. It scares me and I have been doing everything I possible can to avoid it. I'm eating much better and seeking and researching to discover what to eat and what NOT to eat. So, when I see post like yours, it settles me (a bit). Well, wishing you continued success in your journey.

Comment

Originally posted by StrugglinDiabetic View Post
      So glad to see (hear) that your PD is working good for you. That news is encouraging to me as I have stage 5 ckd. My nephrologist says that I'll be on dialysis soon. I really don't want it because of all the bad things I've read concerning it. It scares me and I have been doing everything I possible can to avoid it. I'm eating much better and seeking and researching to discover what to eat and what NOT to eat. So, when I see post like yours, it settles me (a bit). Well, wishing you continued success in your journey.
      You should already be on Peritoneal Dialysis! Why? Because Pd preserves what kidney function you do have, don't be scared, do your self a favor and have them put you on PD, if you kidney function is still working at all you probably won't have to do PD every night. It is nothing to be scared of, good luck.

Comment

Sleep changes are very common in all types of dialysis.
        1.I've never met a dialysis pt. who didn't itch to some degree/at some point. I recommend benadryl at bedtime ( check w/ MD)
        2. Your blood is shifting to digest the big meal, take it easy and watch out for n/v. It will get better!

Comment

Even at my lowest GFR I never had a problem with itching, but you are right it is quite common.

Comment

Hi everyone, my name is Thuy and I'm currently a senior at the University of California, Davis. As a senior, I have to do a project and I chose Kidney Disease and Dialysis treatments. I'm working towards a solution that will hopefully help dialysis patients have a better experience with the treatment (less pain/discomfort), but to get there I have to gather information on how patients feel about the treatment. You do not need to fill out any information about yourself; it is completely anonymous! There are 1 of 3 surveys you can take depending on if you receive dialysis at home or in the hospital, or if you administer dialysis. Please help me help others by doing the survey! Thank you very much!

For caretakers:
            https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HpM...?usp=send_form

For home users:
            https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1p-Z...?usp=send_form

For hospital patients:
            https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VQv...?usp=send_form

Comment

Working...
            X