Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different views and emerging concepts of wildlife tourism

The Cooperative Research Center (CRC) for Sustainable Tourism (2001) describes wildlife tourism as “tourism that involves encounters with non-domesticated animals either in their natural environment or in captivity. It includes a wide range of activities such as

• Bird-watching
    • Whale-watching
    • General wildlife viewing
    • Visiting zoos and aquaria
    • Snorkeling to view underwater life
    • Hunting and recreational fishing

In the recent past, before the advent of mass tourism, visitors were content with viewing animals displayed in zoological gardens. Nowadays, many tourists prefer to see and interact with wild species in their natural habitats and experience a much more intimate closeness to those authentic habitats (Shackley, 1996).

Wildlife tourism developed rapidly after the end of the Second World War in the form of viewing wildlife in national parks and game refuge areas in government or state-owned land. Viewing wildlife is being promoted in many government-controlled protected areas in Australia, Asia and Africa. In India also such an option is gaining in popularity like never before.

In Kerala, tourism may be permitted, in principle, in all protected areas except in the reserve forests (Ironically, these crown reserves may be explored for mining) and to a lesser extent in areas in deep wilderness. Tourism packages must be designed so that very little damage will be caused to the surrounding environment. When considering the scores of honeymoon packages Kerala tourism department has given certain relaxations because it is one of the most non-destructive of all the tourism packages.

Re: Different views and emerging concepts of wildlife tourism

When did this turn into a travel site?
    "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
    Linda
    Tx: 7/28/2005
    St. Louis University Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by LindaE View Post
      When did this turn into a travel site?
      That is obviously spam and no one should click on the link or else that link might have some malicious software download to the computer..
      Angie
      Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
      I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
      • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
      • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
      • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

I have reported this yesterday twice..... but it is still going strong. My point is it is obviously not seen as spam by the moderator or the moderator has not looked at the reporting. (red triangle) that I clicked.
        Please note: Any advice given is given from my own experience and not medical advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Des View Post
          I have reported this yesterday twice..... but it is still going strong. My point is it is obviously not seen as spam by the moderator or the moderator has not looked at the reporting. (red triangle) that I clicked.
          Yeah I thought maybe they are just too busy or something. At least if we got more feedback or if as soon as we reported posts they would look into it. But I think everyone is starting to get the impression that the spam is more active than the staff. That is quite disheartening..

Still, it does look like a lot of the spam has been removed. So maybe it is simply that they don't have the time to look into ALL the reported posts?
          Angie
          Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
          I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
          • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
          • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
          • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment