Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do if your fistula keeps failing and clotting?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shivashankerprasad
    replied
    fistula failure

whu dont u try peritoneal dialysis.

Originally posted by aphroditis90
    My mom has had about 3 fistula put in and they all have failed and now they have a port in her neck that they are using for her dialysis. Is this ok or should I be concerned greatly?

Leave a comment:

• lwblack
    replied
    Originally posted by aphroditis90
    My mom has had about 3 fistula put in and they all have failed and now they have a port in her neck that they are using for her dialysis. Is this ok or should I be concerned greatly?
    Although an AV fistula is a better choice, its not the only one. The surgeons normally wont perfrom an AV fistula unless they feel the patients circulatory system can handle it. Most of the time, they are right. But not always. A graft is a second best choice but they too tend to clot. A perm-cath is a newer technique for people with weak or bad arteries or for emergency dialysis. There are precautions that people with perm-caths have to adhere to but the nephrologist probably has already informed your mom of them. People with perm-caths also wont get their blood as cleansed as it should be and may have to watch their diet a bit closer. Since the access is so much closer to the heart, the pump speed on the dialysis machine cannot be turned up as high. Otherwise, they would pull too much blood away from the heart too quickly putting undue strain on the heart to keep up.
    In the unit I dialize at, the number of perm-caths are about 25% or 1 in 4. Fistulas are about the same percentage and grafts about 50%. These are only observations of meeting other patients and talking to them directly. Patient information otherwise is a private issue and cannot be disclosed by the doctor, unit or any employees thereof.

|_arry

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic What to do if your fistula keeps failing and clotting?

What to do if your fistula keeps failing and clotting?