Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosis ???

undefined
    This is a new development discovered by accident in a blood test. I am 71 years old, do not take any medication except a small amount of testosterone cream.
    I have a creatine level of 1.5 (normal range is 0.6 - 1.3). Also my BUN level is 27 (normal is 6-20). My Potassium level is 5.6 (normal is 3.5-5.1) and according to your calculator, I have a stage 3 condition. However I am sure my kidney problem is caused by BHP (enlarged prostate causing urine retension) and I have all the classic symptoms of it. I do not have any of the symptoms of CKD (chronic kidney disease) except minor eye puffiness. I have an appointment with a Nephrologist and a Urologist and plan to have a prostate operation to relieve the urine retention I am experiencing. My question is, if I fix the prostate problems will the creatinine and the other high readings problems correct themselves?
    Does the kidneys have a self rejuvinating ability/capability or is minor
    damage like this permanent?

Thanks, ACE

"Does the kidney have self-rejuvination capabilities" is an excellent question to ask a nephrologist. Every person's set of circumstances is unique -- the nephrologist can help interpret these individual circumstances. Doing "homework" before the nephrology visit, getting all questions and thoughts written down, is an excellent way to proceed.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    The response of this moderator is not an attempt to address a specific condition. Please note that the DaVita.com discussion forums do not provide medical advice or professional opinions about specific conditions. The purpose of the discussion forums is to provide an opportunity for individuals to discuss end stage renal disease and related topics. The discussion forms are not a substitute for professional medical care. For questions or

Comment

question

my BUN level is 7 and my creatinine level is 1.0 and my potassium level is 3.8, that was taken back in June of 2004. I don't know what it is now. My doctor gave me a sheet with the stats on it and the stats that I have are different from yours, ie, normal BUN level=8-27, normal creatinine level=0.5-1.5, and the normal potassium level is 3.5-5.5. Where did you get your stats?
      Originally posted by ace
      undefined
      This is a new development discovered by accident in a blood test. I am 71 years old, do not take any medication except a small amount of testosterone cream.
      I have a creatine level of 1.5 (normal range is 0.6 - 1.3). Also my BUN level is 27 (normal is 6-20). My Potassium level is 5.6 (normal is 3.5-5.1) and according to your calculator, I have a stage 3 condition. However I am sure my kidney problem is caused by BHP (enlarged prostate causing urine retension) and I have all the classic symptoms of it. I do not have any of the symptoms of CKD (chronic kidney disease) except minor eye puffiness. I have an appointment with a Nephrologist and a Urologist and plan to have a prostate operation to relieve the urine retention I am experiencing. My question is, if I fix the prostate problems will the creatinine and the other high readings problems correct themselves?
      Does the kidneys have a self rejuvinating ability/capability or is minor
      damage like this permanent?

Thanks, ACE

Comment

Originally posted by SheilaD.
        my BUN level is 7 and my creatinine level is 1.0 and my potassium level is 3.8, that was taken back in June of 2004. I don't know what it is now. My doctor gave me a sheet with the stats on it and the stats that I have are different from yours, ie, normal BUN level=8-27, normal creatinine level=0.5-1.5, and the normal potassium level is 3.5-5.5. Where did you get your stats?
        From what I have read so far, each blood test lab has its own normal range on BUN, creatinine, potassium and possible others. Which one is closer to being more accurate? Debatable subject even amongst doctors. To answer the persons original post, the fluid retention will cause the tests to be elevated to a degree due to possible infection and white blood count alignment. You should see a small drop in most of your blood levels after the surgery. The kidneys do a small amount of self healing if you get on the right diet. Suggest you consult the hospital dietician post surgery and just before you leave to go home from the hospital about what foods are best for your particular situation. Rule of thumb is if the doctor isnt worried about your blood levels, you shouldnt be either.

|_arry

Comment

Doing "homework" before the nephrology visit, getting all questions and thoughts written down, is an excellent way to proceed. Roof Leaks

Comment