Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New & Scared: Blood in urine, what stage does this occur ??

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chefnancy
    replied
    Re: New & Scared: Blood in urine, what stage does this occur ??

I don't blame you for being afraid, but we are not doctors and can't give you the answers you need. Fortunately your appointment is coming up soon. I feel badly that I can't really do anything to allay your fears other than to say that most causes of microscopic blood in the urine are imminently treatable. The treatment may involve diet or medication adjustments, so try your best with what your nephrologist tells you to do.

Leave a comment:

• TwinMom
    replied

The PCP did a Myoglobin test on my blood and it came back at level 8, they said 0-5 is normal. But, they said no protein was detected in the urine. So the myoglobin result and the fact that I have microscopic blood detected in urine for 2 months now is what he is basing the referral to nephrologist on. I am still very afraid!

Leave a comment:

• awaitingamiracle
    replied

I understand how worried you might be feeling right now. I feel like that every time I take my daughter to see the neph. They have told me as long as there is no protien in her urine, she will be alright. Usally with kidney problems you will see protien in the urine because the kidney's are not filtering propertly. Not in every case, but in most. My younger son started spilling protien a few months ago but his creatine level in normal. Again the doctors are just keeping a close eye on him.
    We think my daughter is spilling blood due to a condition called "thin basement". The only way we could know forsure is to do a biopsy. But the neph. feels why put her through that if there is no harm from blood being in her urine. If she starts to spill protien than of course he will do the biopsy. Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• TwinMom
    replied

Thank you for your reply. My PCP has done several urine tests at various times, so yes they are certain the blood is not related to menstrual cycle. The blood is microscopic, but apparently it's not a small amount from test results.

Leave a comment:

• chefnancy
    replied

There are lots of things that can cause blood in the urine. Most of them are fixable, so I would not worry too much until you see your nephrologist. I just googled "blood in urine" and there were over 20 possible causes listed. Since you are a woman, is your dr. certain that this blood is not being shed from your vagina and just getting into your urine? Is the blood microscopic (you can't see it) or is it gross (it discolors the urine)? Your ultrasound removes kidney stones as a cause, what about cysts? I am sure your nephrologist will get to the bottom of it. If you do have CKD, don't worry. There are treatments and most people never end up to the point of having to have dialysis. Come back and let us know what your neph says.

Leave a comment:

• TwinMom
    replied

I've already had a CT Scan and kidney ultrasound and no kidney stones.

Leave a comment:

• awaitingamiracle
    replied

Flipw is right, my daughter been spilling blood in her urine for 9 yrs. She shes a neph. yearly becaues kidney disease runs in my husband's side. So far they have done nothing but yearly blood work.

Leave a comment:

• flipw
    replied

Blood in the urine is not usually a symptom of CKD. It could be anything from kidney stones or a UTI.

Leave a comment:

• New & Scared: Blood in urine, what stage does this occur ??

I have been referred to a nephrologist just today, so haven't seen one yet. But my PCP has detected blood in urine for 2 months now. He also did a myoglobin test and said it came back higher than normal. What stage could this be? I am terrified.