X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about lab results?

Is it possible for labs to have really bad values showing I'm in kidney failure and then a week later show things have greatly improved? I went from a serum creatinine of 3.85 down to 2.3 and then a GRF of 12 up to 29. Is this possible or could the lab have made a mistake?

You should have your Neph also run a 24 hour urine. The urine will often show a truer reading of your kidneys.

Comment

It's quite possible for chemistry values in the body to fluctuate. Dehydration, for instance, can cause rather large swings in values like GFR, BUN, and creatinine. Other factors, such as time you take any medication (like blood pressure meds) can also affect your body's chemistry to some extent. So yes, your values can fluctuate, though usually if doctors see such fluctuations, they try to get several blood drawings...say about a month a part or so...to try and get a trend baseline that will give a better indication of your true values through a regression to the mean.

Comment

Hi Carter... I was interested in your comment regarding 24 hour urine. I was diagnose with IgA about three years ago and been to three different doctors and none of them ever asked me to do that.
        What is the purpose of it?

Comment

The 24 hour test will give a much better idea of your true kidney output than the GFR blood test does. In my case, my GFR test shows me at 8 (caucasian), and 9 (black), but my 24 hour test shows that I'm probably closer to a 12 or 13 GFR. Those GFR blood numbers are very inaccurate.

Comment

TrnaDee: What Dac 0214 said might be true for normal types of kidneys disease but not for PKD. I would ask my doctor for understanding your GFR and tell him what others have suggested and you have read about. For instance: A polycystic kidney gives off lots of urine while the red and white blood cells determinate. When I complained of too much urine right before I started dialysis the nerph explained this too me. I have cysts covering the cells that absorb the liquid and some glands have stopped functioning because of that. Therefore, what I was drinking was just passes through to the bladder. I was to drink lots of water before starting dialysis to try and keep the blood from being poisoned with the BUN rising. Fortunately for me I do not swell up and my legs and ankles are small. Unfortunately, the white blood cells was braking down and could not hold the white blood cells. I was below norm for dialysis patience. Red was on the border line of that so dialysis was needed Each case of dialysis and the type of dialysis needs to be understood to understand what the GFR means. Keep searching for answers. The more impute the better you can decide what to do.

Comment

Thank you for information

Comment

Originally posted by kcramer View Post
                TrnaDee: What Dac 0214 said might be true for normal types of kidneys disease but not for PKD. I would ask my doctor for understanding your GFR and tell him what others have suggested and you have read about. For instance: A polycystic kidney gives off lots of urine while the red and white blood cells determinate. When I complained of too much urine right before I started dialysis the nerph explained this too me. I have cysts covering the cells that absorb the liquid and some glands have stopped functioning because of that. Therefore, what I was drinking was just passes through to the bladder. I was to drink lots of water before starting dialysis to try and keep the blood from being poisoned with the BUN rising. Fortunately for me I do not swell up and my legs and ankles are small. Unfortunately, the white blood cells was braking down and could not hold the white blood cells. I was below norm for dialysis patience. Red was on the border line of that so dialysis was needed Each case of dialysis and the type of dialysis needs to be understood to understand what the GFR means. Keep searching for answers. The more impute the better you can decide what to do.
                What??? Just what does "A polycystic kidney gives off lots of urine while the red and white blood cells determinate" mean? Did you lose your train of though halfway through your post, or did your keyboard just malfunction? Did the same thing happen when you wrote "I was below norm for dialysis patience"?.

Seriously, please don't respond to my posts unless you can be at least slightly coherent. Rambling on senselessly doesn't help anybody, especially those who come here looking for answers.

Comment

Yes I understood your comment better dac0214.... It made more sense to me.
                  Just looking for simple answers like you said.
                  I appreciate it....I appreciated the other comment too but I didn't really understand what they were saying other than the part "keep searching for answers" thanks again🌺

Comment

dac0214. You had better look into polycystic kidneys before you make negative remarks. It is totally different than other kidney problems. Actually more dangerous is some aspect. (cysts on liver and heart causes more problems beside aneurisms and ruptures of cysts.....) This is not only confirmed by my doctor who studies PKD but also on web sites. There are other blogs besides this one and they are under people who have PKD and give encouragement. Too bad you are away negative in your responses because a site that helps people and is not so critical are more helpful. I usually don't respond to you but this is really something that you need to read about. If you write back, I will not respond because your way of dealing with things doesn't help me.

Comment

What are my white blood cells 3/2020

Comment

Working...
                      X