X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Between 4th stage and end stage kidney disease

Every time I get a blood test for my GFR it either goes close to 15 or it goes up to 19. I hate this because I don't know when I start dialysis if ever I am going to. I guess I like to know what is going on so I can prepare for life changes. Right now I am having a hard time getting use to retirement. It has been nine months. Last year I was sick with heart problems, pneumonia, kidney failure, CHF, etc. Yesterday was my birthday.

Hi Lizzy...I'm so sorry for the challenging circumstances you are facing. Yes!!! What you describe is scary, especially when questions you might have go unanswered. If you are fluctuating between 15-19, there is a possibility, maybe, to raise your numbers. Have you been referred to a dietitian? If not, Please Do As Fast As You Can! What you eat and drink makes a Huge Difference to your kidney health. Ask your dr for a referral and a Hard Copy Of All Testing, especially Most Recent Blood Work. The dietitian will give you specific guides for potassium, protein, phosphorus, and sodium intake. If you have swelling around your ankles, find out how much water intake you can have each day...the kidney's need to be flushed, but with your level of function it's important to not take in too much...no gulping, taking sips through out the day is how to keep hydrated. a way to test is to pull up the skin on the top of your wrist, with thumb/forefinger...if it springs back you are hydrated, if not, goes back slowly then you could be dehydrated..

This link is a general info about how eating the right foods can increase your gfr..
    .https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...gfr-with-diet/

also, if you drink before going to get your blood work done, this could be the fluctuation you are seeing. To get a True gfr you need to do a 24hr urine collection.

I wish you the best, I post in intro section stuff about kidney health (mlr0853) and Please Post Any Questions you might have...I'll try my best to help you out!

Take Good Care, ml

Comment

Ps!!
      Happy Belated Birthday!!!
      Hoping this new year will bring you better life and health! <3

Comment

Working...
      X