X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketogenic Diet/Lifestyle

Hello everyone, I have stage 3 CKD and it is determinable why I have it says the doctors. My last visit to a new Nephrologist he says if you want to stay healthy get rid of your carbohydrates. So I have found the Ketogenic Diet which is low carbs, low, protein and high fat. So I would get my energy from fat. I have done research on this diet and have even followed it for a month and half. I have lost 13lbs and feel better. I was wondering if anyone with CKD has tried this diet or lifestyle change?
    Thank you in advance!

I was eating basically this way before I was diagnosed, learning as I went. Fortunately, I was generally already eating under 100g protein. I track my eating on SparkPeople.com. I've paid attention to percentages of nutrients that I eat so now I know that if I eat about the same number of grams of fats and protein, that I'm doing okay. My carbs vary some, and I simply try to keep them as low as possible.

That's obvious, since I already knew that fat grams have 2x the calories that protein grams do, lol; but I was trying to complicate it.

Comment

I am learning as I go too. I am on a few prescriptions for my kidneys, so what I'd like to do is call my nephrologist and see if I could come off the pills for a few months and see how this diet is helping or not helping. I am very excited about this diet and wondering why more people aren't doing it especially if they have diabetes. 😞 I am still new to it so I'm sure I'll find out.

Comment

It has a lot of overlap with paleo and low Carb food plans. I lean toward paleo, but include some dairy. Having the kidney dx is good incentive to use dairy as garnish vs entree. I put it that way earlier, and I think it really works for my brain.

I'm realizing that I'm still not straight on the differences between paleo and keto, TBH. I can Google or go to Spark and get help, lol.

Comment

Sounds interesting. Any recommendations as to what the diet actually consists of,i.e., some specific foods? Links that spell it out in a wee bit more detail? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Why don't you people just get your diets from your nephrologists? They will give you a diet that caters to YOUR specific needs. Or choose your own and suffer the consequences. SMH

Comment

I have a question my nephrologist recommended the atkins diet for me. I am a little leary as I have been told to limit protein to 60 mg a day. He is new for me as my kidney doc retired. Do not know whether to do this or not. Also diabetic and he told me to quit my insulin.Am a little scared to do this.

Comment

I've paid attention to percentages of nutrients that I eat so now I know that if I eat about the same number of grams of fats and protein, that I'm doing okay. Lumber Supply California

Comment

Having a balanced is very good rather than following a strik diet which will become diffcult to follow for long time.
                  Our body should get all varities of food. You can can stay awake with the helps of modafinil tablet.
                  buy modafinil 200mg

Comment