Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [NxStage Users] Questions & Answers

Hello all,

awhile back I posted concerning home dialysis and finally back again. If anyone is considering going home with a NxStage System One and have questions about it please feel free to reply to this thread or visit http://www.homedialysis.org forums where I frequent often.

My Blog Site
    Http://www.dailyhemo.org
    sigpic

Hi Gus,

Glad to see you spreading the good word about home dialysis and NxStage.

I'll bet when you were a kid you got so tired of people pinching those cute little round cheeks -- you just had to be an adorable child!!

Lorelle/Black

Comment

Originally posted by Black
      Hi Gus,

Glad to see you spreading the good word about home dialysis and NxStage.

I'll bet when you were a kid you got so tired of people pinching those cute little round cheeks -- you just had to be an adorable child!!

Lorelle/Black
      Hello Lorelle,

good to see you again... Actually, when I was a kid in dialysis I got tired of the staff sticking me with the needles! ..So I started cannulating myself...I was 12 years old.....today I am 36 ...
      My Blog Site
      sigpic

Comment

Need your advice

Hi,

Its good to see you doing well, Im about to start the training program for the nxstage I cant take being in the incenter anymore 16 years is enough. Can you tell me what your experience is like using the nxstage. Thanks
        Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by KBright1070
          Hi,

Its good to see you doing well, Im about to start the training program for the nxstage I cant take being in the incenter anymore 16 years is enough. Can you tell me what your experience is like using the nxstage. Thanks
          Kelly
          Hi Kelly, great to see you here! Well, what can I say, its been a little over two years now at home using NxSTage System One. The experience has been fantastic! The biggest imrovement since all the years I have been in-center. Blood pressure is normal now, better appetite, improved skin color and of course eye color! Phosphorus is 2.4 on now...use to be higher than that. Alertness is alot better. To tell you the truth its way better than just doing 3x a week. We really need dialysis more often but gentle and not harsh like in-center, so daily-short and Nocturnal is the answer, especially, in the privacy of your own home.

NxStage System One is very easy to maintain and clean and you won't be stressed out and frustrated like you see in-center staff when cleaning and maintaining the larger type dialysis machines. NxStage System One is home friendly and best of all you can take it with you on travel.

I think you made the right choice and you will be on your way to feeling alot better and enjoying the most out of life! If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Nice talking with you,
          Gus
          My Blog Site
          sigpic

Comment

NxStage question

Hello all, I am new user here and was wondering how much storage space has to be considered for the NxStage machine and supplies. Our (grown) daughter has been a dialysis patient currently since 2000 after receiving a kidney from here dad in 1992 and then it went south. She is currently on hemo at a facility but had used CAPD before. It was just not working for her as she has MAJOR sleeping problems and was unhooking her self from the bag in her sleep. She is now married and lives in a small one bedroom apartment with her hubby. I was going to talk to her about doing this but wanted to get some more info on storage requirements before I did. She has problem getting to dialysis on holidays and sometimes it is a big hassle, as you all know, just getting up and going! The bus doesn't run on holidays and paying a cab in expensive for her. Appreciate any info you guys can give.

Comment

NxStage Space

My husband I do do the NxStage at home.
              We have a recliner in our bedroom and the NxStage machine is on a cart where we store supplies underneath. We have a large hamper for trash.
              The space we use while he is dializing is about 5 feet wide and maybe
              9 feet long. When not in use we compact things closer together.
              The rest of the supplies, dialysate bags, cartrideges, saline, syringes etc take about a 5 foot by 5 foot area of our closet right after all the supplies are delivered. Amazingly, it takes up less space than expected. We do not have a large home.

Adamw has some pictures on one of his posts and he uses something called Pureflow. I don't know if this is an alternative to the dialysate bags or what, but you can check with your center.
              If it is, I think it takes up less space.

Hope this helps a little.

Comment

Originally posted by gopheraj
                Hello all, I am new user here and was wondering how much storage space has to be considered for the NxStage machine and supplies.

Hello and welcome! The answer to that is simple.....the machine itself is small enough to fit any therapy environment...even in the living room! As for supplies, your given the option for supply delivery every two weeks or once a month and basicly it depends what your trained on. if they train you on Bagged dialysate then expect about 60 dialysate boxes per month along with 2-3 cases of cartridges. In my case, I use the closet for boxed dialysate and a hall corner for extra things. Today, am using Pureflow Sl and don't beed so many boxes as I used too.

Our (grown) daughter has been a dialysis patient currently since 2000 after receiving a kidney from here dad in 1992 and then it went south. She is currently on hemo at a facility but had used CAPD before. It was just not working for her as she has MAJOR sleeping problems and was unhooking her self from the bag in her sleep. She is now married and lives in a small one bedroom apartment with her hubby. I was going to talk to her about doing this but wanted to get some more info on storage requirements before I did. She has problem getting to dialysis on holidays and sometimes it is a big hassle, as you all know, just getting up and going! The bus doesn't run on holidays and paying a cab in expensive for her. Appreciate any info you guys can give.

Many people use Nxstage System One at apartments. Try to find out whether she has storage area free? Like a closet, or other free area.
                Thanks for stopping by....
                My Blog Site
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. Her apartment is pretty small and I will talk to her today to see how much room they can spare for supplies. She has some room in her dining area - they eat in the living room most times. Thanks again!

Comment

Hi all,

My husband is at his first training session for home hemo dialysis. He is very excited (well as excited as you can be if you are on dialysis!) that he will be able to do this at home and not have to go to the center. He is planning on using the Nxstage along with the PurFlo. I hope all goes well for him. I am a little scared of the whole thing, but will try to get over it. I am just scared that if any emergency occurs, I will get too freaked out. The idea of taking your blood out of your system and putting it back in again, scares the heck out of me.

Gus, one question I have is what happens if the electric goes out?

Comment

Electricity

Well you didn't ask me but since we have experienced power outages
                      I will add my 2 cents anyway.
                      I hope it is not rude...

There are instructions in the manual about how to do a temporary rinseback if you think the power is going to come back on.
                      There are also instructions about how to do manual rinsebcak if the power
                      is already out.
                      My husband has our machine hooked up to a backup power supply that will buy us about 20 minutes of time.
                      In May we had a huge storm and the power was out for a long time.
                      We just had to abort dialysis that night and use it for our skip night.
                      The worst part was we had just started so the Heparin was going full force and his blood took a while to clot.
                      You will have had all the training for this stuff and be amazed at how much you retain. Trust me, I am no genius.

Don't sell yourself short, you will be amazed at how well you can deal with things.

Comment

Originally posted by redz812
                        Hi all,

My husband is at his first training session for home hemo dialysis. He is very excited (well as excited as you can be if you are on dialysis!) that he will be able to do this at home and not have to go to the center. He is planning on using the Nxstage along with the PurFlo. I hope all goes well for him. I am a little scared of the whole thing, but will try to get over it. I am just scared that if any emergency occurs, I will get too freaked out. The idea of taking your blood out of your system and putting it back in again, scares the heck out of me.

Gus, one question I have is what happens if the electric goes out?
                        Hello and welcome! Just as Nanner60 explained...its not complex at all. Simply you have about 40seconds(default) for power to return and if it does the machine resumes treatment. Now if the outage is more than 40seconds you simply do a manual blood return which is very easy to do. On the other hand, if you opt for a generator or UPS then that could be worthy to have. Also, keep in mind that if the storm and lightning is quite bad then it is recommended to discontinue dialysis.
                        My Blog Site
                        sigpic

Comment

Hello all, just a reminder that I have a few home made videos about Nxstage at youtube...just recently I completed a new video about Pureflow Sl....anyway, here's the links to these videos.

- Pureflow SL
                          - Gus's Buttonhole Cannulation
                          - My Typical Day on Dialysis
                          - Gus Swaps the Jewel Box

Enjoy!

Btw....

For all of you haven't got this Newsletter I've linked it here for your viewing pleasure. Also, if you would like to recieve this to your home address please email newsletter@nxstage.com and let them know you would like to recieve this newsletter to your home address.

Be sure to enter contest!!

http://www.dailyhemo.org/newsletter_nxstage2.pdf

"Smile, your on Candid Camera!"
                          My Blog Site
                          sigpic

Comment

There are instructions in the manual about how to do a temporary rinseback if you think the power is going to come back on.
                            There are also instructions about how to do manual rinsebcak if the power is already out. Costa Mesa Tree Care

Comment

Moving to USA? The Local Observer will help you find the best and worst places to live, raise a family or retire in United States. Find out Pros and Cons of Living in Cities and States of America. Visit https://www.localobserverdaily.com/
                              The Local Observer will help you find the best and worst places to live, raise a family or retire in United States. Moving To USA? Pros and Cons of Living in America. Explore the best neighborhoods to live in the U.S. based on crime, public schools, cost of living, real estate, housing, properties, job opportunities, and local amenities. Ranking based on data from the U.S. Census, FBI, BLS, CDC, and other sources!

Comment