Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trapped Air Pain

Anyone ever have air in their patient line?

I wasn't paying attention the night before last and started my Baxter cycler. I started to feel shoulder pain with the first fill and it hasn't let up all that much since.

I feel the pain mainly in my upper back and shoulders with the occasional cramping across my abdomen. It is an awful feeling. It wakes me up during the night.

Anyone know how long this air stays trapped in your body?

Re: Trapped Air Pain

Hello,

Boy... that really sounds painful. I haven't any experience with dialysis but I know others have mentioned a toll free number on the machine; maybe you could call and ask them about it or contact your doctor or dialysis facility??

I ran a quick search and found these two links about it:

http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk...pic.php?t=3983

http://kidneypatientguide.org.uk/new...=shoulderhttp/

I hope you get to feeling better but maybe you should seek medical attention if it doesn't get better really soon.

One other thought, you might go to youtube and run a search on the baxter cycler, I know there are lots of videos about the machine there, maybe you can locate some info on the issue.

Please let us know how you are getting along. Feel better soon!
    Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

Hmmm, my boyfriend hasn't experienced that yet. He's been doing PD for 3 months now and so far the only thing that's happened is drain pain but that was only one time.

Do you have an on-call PD nurse you can page? I definately think you should get it checked out just to make sure there is nothing else going on.

Feel better soon hon.
      Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
      Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Comment

Shoulder "air pain" can be pretty painful to say the least.
        My PD nurse said it can take a few days to get rid of it.
        I happened to experience it once and luckily mine was mild and
        it only lasted a couple hours.

The way to avoid it is to prime your line as well as you possibly can. I'm not sure how that works with a cycler since I only did manual exchanges, but believe me that line was primed VERY VERY WELL after the first and only experience with it.

Okay not to get too graphic here ............. but we know of two ways to get rid of "trapped gas" in our bellies.......... that's the best way to get rid of the "air bubbles" that cause the shoulder pain.
        I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

My nurse warned me about it when I was doing training. An air pocket did make it before I could stop it (manual method) and I had pain in my shoulder for 3-4 days. Very hard to sleep at night. I am extremely careful not to let one slip in again.

Comment

The article you uploaded has piqued my curiosity, and I'd like to share it with a variety of other forums. Apart from that, I'd like to share with you a fascinating website. LOL Beans is a hilarious battle royale platformer game. Play as a jelly bean in Takeshi's Castle, It's a Knockout, Wipeout, or Ninja Warrior to win obstacle race courses.

Comment