Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home dialysis as good as transplant: study

THE CANADIAN PRESS

A new study suggests that home treatment for kidney failure is just as good for survival as a patient receiving an organ transplant.

In the study conducted by Canadian researchers, a total of more than 1,200 patients were followed for up to 12 years.

Patients who were receiving hemodialysis at home at night were compared to patients who had received a kidney transplant from either a deceased or living donor.

Night home hemodialysis is an intensive form of treatment done while the patient sleeps which lasts for six-to-eight hours a night for up to seven nights a week.

Researchers found survival for patients on night home hemodialysis was comparable to that of patients who had received kidney transplants from deceased donors.

Principal investigator Dr. Christopher Chan of Toronto General Hospital says the study shows home hemodialysis provides a suitable alternative for patients who may not have access to a kidney transplant. The study is being published in the international September issue of Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation.

SOURCE: TheStar
    My Blog Site
    Http://www.dailyhemo.org
    sigpic

Re: Home dialysis as good as transplant: study

Gustine ~ thanks for all the great information you give and the research you do. Keep it coming!
    ~ddarling~

Comment

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing! My husband just came home with his Nxstage machine this week. He does short daily because nocturnal isnt available in our area just yet. I never thought I would say it but it is so nice for him to be able to do this at home. I was so skeptical at first because we have two kids, one of this almost two, etc, etc. His treatments are on hold right now because they are having to send out a new machine. It was pulling off all of the fluid within the first 30-45 minutes and he was feeling pretty crappy because of it. Hopefully we will get it today and he can get back on track. They thought that his cath was infected last week because he was running a fever, so they stopped treatments for a week. He noticed a difference when not dializing. He was anxious to get back and this happens. So I will be glad when he can get back to his normal routine and start feeling like himself!

Comment

Originally posted by christims77 View Post
        Very interesting! Thank you for sharing! My husband just came home with his Nxstage machine this week. He does short daily because nocturnal isnt available in our area just yet. I never thought I would say it but it is so nice for him to be able to do this at home. I was so skeptical at first because we have two kids, one of this almost two, etc, etc. His treatments are on hold right now because they are having to send out a new machine. It was pulling off all of the fluid within the first 30-45 minutes and he was feeling pretty crappy because of it. Hopefully we will get it today and he can get back on track. They thought that his cath was infected last week because he was running a fever, so they stopped treatments for a week. He noticed a difference when not dializing. He was anxious to get back and this happens. So I will be glad when he can get back to his normal routine and start feeling like himself!
        Originally posted by ddarling View Post
        Gustine ~ thanks for all the great information you give and the research you do. Keep it coming!

Thanks alot, glad you liked my updates.... you can even get more latest updates from me by following my Twitter at http://twitter.com/DailyHemo ... other home dialysis patients and Nephrologists follow me there.

Thanks again!
        My Blog Site
        Http://www.dailyhemo.org
        sigpic

Comment

A new study from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine found that home dialysis is just as good as a transplant for many patients. The findings, which were published in the New England Journal of Medicine, showed that over a two-year https://www.dissertation-service.org/ period transplanted kidneys lasted about 20% longer than those on home dialysis. However, when researchers looked at how long people had been on each type of treatment they found no difference between the two groups after one year.

Comment

Best piece of content on how home dialysis as good as transplant. Happy to know about it. - http://www.qualitydissertation.co.uk/

Comment

Amazed to know here about Home dialysis. Very useful discussion I found here. Thanks. - http://www.dissertationhelp.uk/

Comment