Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• localobserver
    replied
    Doing a little research to find out why you or your partner is having constipation is a good start. The Local Observer

Leave a comment:

• nakanoizetta
    replied
    Please, clear any such dietary changes with your doctor first! Bocce Ball Sports Turf

Leave a comment:

• Speedy1wrc
    replied
    On dialysis "drinking plenty of fluids" may not be an option at all. I can only tolerate minimal amounts of fluid. I just started Home Hemo so that may change, but ordinarily fluids are your nemeisis. Doing a little research to find out why you or your partner is having constipation is a good start.

Leave a comment:

• mab
    replied
    So plums are okay ??? he will be glad to hear that !!! I will look it up tonight. He is such a fruit and veggie lover (espcially tomatoes ) ... that this has been hard.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by mab View Post
    Also Jimmy82 ... ,my husband who is on diaylsis has been told to stay away completely from prunes. They are very bad for anyone with kidney problems !!!!
    Prunes are not kidney friendly due to the potassium they contain. Plums are a great alternative.

Leave a comment:

• mab
    replied
    Also Jimmy82 ... ,my husband who is on diaylsis has been told to stay away completely from prunes. They are very bad for anyone with kidney problems !!!!

Leave a comment:

• dac0214
    replied
    Well, "drinking plenty of fluids" is NOT an option for many dialysis patients who have essentially zero urine output. Have you considered this? Beware of strangers bearing gifts, as the saying goes....

Once again, this is "general advice" which would work for most people but could be deadly for those with kidney disease. Please, clear any such dietary changes with your doctor first! And, furthermore, don't just automatically believe anything you read here.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy82
    started a topic After dialysis constipation problems

After dialysis constipation problems

The better-educated person can make the correct decision on use of laxatives, purgatives and fiber—don't use them. For most people, dietary and lifestyle improvements can lessen the chances of constipation and no actual constipation treatments are necessary.
    Drinking plenty of fluids, preferably water, helps stimulate intestinal activity. Drinking a glass of prune juice daily or eating prunes may help with bowel regulation. Prune juice has almost no fiber, but does have a laxative effect, probably on account of its content of magnesium salts. Prunes are relatively high in fiber (2 Grams)
    Last edited by bdodsworth123; 08-11-2012, 09:42 AM. Reason: removing link