Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• numbness and pain in hand during dialysis

my hubby has been having numbness and pain in his wrist & hand on the arm with his fistula during dialysis and it lingers until after he gets home . he had a fistulagram (i think that was what it was called) and also an ultrasound of the wrist hand and they checked for circulation issues . all tests came out perfect and with no explanation for pain or numbness. has anyone else had a problem with this ? it is so painful he has to stop the dialysis early

anyone have any ideas about this?????

Comment

mrs brown
      I sent a message to your in box since no one answered you. Some things my mom did on dialysis and some things I do since the fistula has been placed in. Hope it helps.

Comment

thanks for your reply we still have no idea what the problem is he had tests done and everything seems fine we are going to his followup now hopefully they will have other suggestions

Comment

nobody has an explanation they are considering putting in a temporary catheter so he can get dialysis an give his arm a break and see if that helps ...worse case they tie off the fistula he has and put one in the other arm

Comment

I had a similar problem. Mine was linked to a back up of my fistula combined with branching. It's could also be the way his arm is placed during treatment because all the blood is running so quickly through his fistula it has a hard time reaching his hand. Try having him put it on his lap, on a pillow, it will make the flow of blood to the arm run easier. I've found warm pack help too.

Comment

I've had the numbness problem also, but if I put my arm on a pillow and cover my hand with a blanket, I don't have the problem. I think the surface of the chair was too hard and cutting off circulation to my hand.

Comment

I have occasional numbness but flexing the hand and/or moving it around solves it.

Comment

Hand and finger pain

Originally posted by mrs brown View Post
                  my hubby has been having numbness and pain in his wrist & hand on the arm with his fistula during dialysis and it lingers until after he gets home . he had a fistulagram (i think that was what it was called) and also an ultrasound of the wrist hand and they checked for circulation issues . all tests came out perfect and with no explanation for pain or numbness. has anyone else had a problem with this ? it is so painful he has to stop the dialysis early

Hi I'm a dialysis patient from the UK and had a similar problem. It was due to the fistula stealing the blood supply so the hand was cold and painfull, (called Steal syndrome in the UK).http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vascula...steal_syndrome
                  Unfortunately this went on for some time and after cutting a finger, that wouldn't heal because of the lack of blood supply It became infected and suffered from necrosis and the fingerwas eventually amputated.
                  I have found that pointing my arm down at the floor brings the blood back and stops the pain.

After discussion with my surgeon about this problem he tied the fistula off and inserted a tunnel line (Tesoi line) into my chest and the pain is going away.

https://www.kch.nhs.uk/Doc/pl%20-%20...20catheter.pdf

Hope this helps
                  Colin Brown

Comment

While "steal syndrome" is quite likely, there is also the chance that he's experiencing Reynaud's syndrome.

Comment

You can also take out X-ray. Sometimes the second advice is also much important. That's all I can suggest you.

Comment