X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeling like a human pin cushion

I've only been on diaylsis since 2012 and with davita since August of 2012. I've felt like a human pin cushion since they tried a fistula in arm which didn't work. Sent to another doctor for a second opinion which ended having a graft in. Used it for three times the arm is swollen and alittle bruised.
    My faith and trust in this whole thing is pretty much little to gone. They seem not to care about if their using u a human pin cushion. Am pretty much to the point to saying am done am not your pin cushion am a person. Who feels pain.

hih, good feeling when read your thinking here.

Comment

I feel your pain. I had what a appeared to be an excellent fistula created in my right forearm some 9 months before starting home hemodialysis training (I never went in-center). The HHD training staff had nothing but problems with the venous portion of the fistula, resulting in 5 infiltrations in the span of 2 to 3weeks. They sent me to their vascular surgeon fistulla expert for a fistullogram. He found an 80% stenosis in the vicinity of the anastomosis (where the artery and vein are ligated). He blew the stenosis out, which resulted in an expansive array of new fistula "branches". One of the branches, although rather curvy, proved useable for the venous return site. The immaturity of this new fistula required some care on cannulation - sticking, but the new flow provided enough blood "cushion" to prevent another infiltration (portion of the sharp needle pierces the fistula). After working from 17 GA sharps to 15 GA sharps over the span of 2 weeks in the same arterial and venous sites, we were ready to try 15 GA blunts in the now developed buttonholes. The blunts went in, and shortly after I was putting in my own needles - a vast improvement to having someone else "stick me". There is a vast difference in self-cannulation - it's your arm, your fistula, your buttonholes and you know it best. The buttonholes act as a tract similar to a pierced ear to guide the needle into the "flap" that was created/cut with sharp needles. Once you are using blunt needles, the likelihood of infiltrations is reduced to nil - the blunt needle simply bouces off of the fistula walls if out of position and cannot cut when you withdraw it. Believe me, all of the "pin cushion" memory will rapidly fade when you are using blunt dialysis needles and cannulating your own buttonholes - the empowerment far outweighs the very minimal discomfort that you may feel each time you insert the needles.

Comment

Working...
      X