Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy.

I wanted to know is it possible to get pregnant while on dialysis. I have been told that it is nearly impossible to get pregnant however, it is possible. I would like to have a child and I just need some pointers on how to increase my chances of having a child. I have been told that it would be better to have a child after a transplant, but I have also heard that it is better to have one before I get a transplant. I would just like to know which is better, before or after the transplant. I would love to hear from anyone that has been pregnant while having treatments and what the experience was like and also from people that have had a child either before or after the transplant. Thank you in advance.

You posted this under the 'nocturnal dialysis' thread. Just what goes on at YOUR nocturnal clinic that makes you worry about getting pregnant???

Comment

mspeechlz,

Pregnancies while on dialysis are NEVER recommended because of the stress it puts the body and heart under. It can be extremely dangerous both to mom and baby. It's very important to take the necessary measures to avoid a pregnancy because it can happen.

You have to keep in mind that it would be extremely hard to know if the patient had gained weight (due to pregnancy) or fluid weight.
      If too much fluid is removed, B/P can drop to dangerous levels for the baby. If not enough fluid is removed it's dangerous for the heart.

Post transplant babies are possible. Women do have to wait after all meds have been lowered or adjusted.
      Usually after a couple yrs OR when TX team recommends it to be safe. While pregnant some meds will have to be adjusted or even changed completely to avoid hurting the unborn child.
      More precautions will have to be taken regarding meds, so patient will need to be in constant contact with the TX team.
      Every move you plan to make that can affect your kidney, will have to be discussed thoroughly with the transplant team.

My advice is to discuss this with your dr.

If you go on facebook and search for transplant groups you'll find women with transplants who have had babies or are currently pregnant.
      Most don't carry to term, not only to protect mom but also the baby.

Take care!
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment