Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nocturnal

Are you allowed to leave your stuff at the hospital?
    Where I am all the patients have a shelf unit where all their items go, but they have to fit into a plastic bag.
    I don't have anything to leave myself as I do not want my items if i were to leave anything to be mixed up with peoples germy items.
    I think people keep their items here for 2 months then have to bring home to clean....

Comment

We are no at a hospital, but a clinic. Everything is at a premium, especially space, so nothing is left. I have a egg crate mattress, a sheet, a blanket, a pillow, a dvd player w/ear phones (also fits TV), notebook and paper and me. Hard to make one load out of it, but I manage. Also gloves, scarf and knit cap.
      No side tables so I don't bring a drink, can imagine it in bed with me.
      Nice and cool, cold, in our facility
      May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
      Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
      Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
      Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
      Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Comment

Well this is the end of the third week and my wife remarked this AM, "You've got the best color I'v seen on you in years." So I may be dying, but I've got good color.
        Since I have felt so good all along the path, I'm not sure I can say I feel better or not. I know I must, but cant tell you how.
        Can come up with no negatives, I feel good when I leave and when I get there and inbetween, so if its not better its D*** good. Would not want to return to 3x4 under any circumstances.
        Thanks DaVita for another good program. Not only makes life worth living, it also makes it a pleasure. Excuse me now but I must go out and take up the pansies and put in the petunias. I'll have a 4 oz beer for me and you can think about it.

CK

Comment

Please remember I am not a physician, nurse or even a staff member. I assume that if I say something and you want to make a change because of my statement, that you ALWAYS check with your Doctor.
          I believe that Noctornal causes body mass to grow more quickly and you have to pay more attention to your dry weight. We're going to change mine tonight to 69.5 KG (I'll be a fattie one day)
          Keep on keeping on,

CK

Comment

Well today was the day I have been waiting on, my first nutrition report since nocturnal.
            I have Pulmonary Hypertension and it is like ESRD, incurable, but fatal. So when I heard that nocturnal was the best form of Dialysis, I made plans to go in that program to increase the health of my body and thus fight the end of PH. On M/W/F I attend pulmonary therapy and that is for the good of both the diseases.
            My KT/v, the facility value used for the goodness of the dialysis procedure has been running an average of 1.8. This is with a catheter and lower than a fistula. Why I have the catheter is another story.
            Today my KT/v was 2.8, an increase of about 25%. I don't expect it to get much better until I go back to the fistula.
            Even in a staid field such as dialysis you can help your self if you try. In more than one way, you just have to want better.

CK

Comment

Well today was the day I have been waiting on, my first nutrition report since nocturnal.
              I have Pulmonary Hypertension and it is like ESRD, incurable, but fatal. So when I heard that nocturnal was the best form of Dialysis, I made plans to go in that program to increase the health of my body and thus fight the end of PH. On M/W/F I attend pulmonary therapy and that is for the good of both the diseases.
              My KT/v, the facility value used for the goodness of the dialysis procedure has been running an average of 1.8. This is with a catheter and lower than a fistula. Why I have the catheter is another story.
              Today my KT/v was 2.8, an increase of about 25%. I don't expect it to get much better until I go back to the fistula.
              Even in a staid field such as dialysis you can help your self if you try. In more than one way, you just have to want better.

CK

Comment

That's great, Cicero! So the nocturnal dialysis is really working better for you than the regular did. Wonderful!
                My Writings

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean Cicero. I take the ambien and at first it was great. I would fall asleep and wake up from dialysis and the next I know they would be ready to pull my needles. After a while I couldn't go to sleep without the meds. I did like that. It would be hard for me to fall asleep on days that I didn't have dialysis.
                  So now I just take the benydryal

Comment

Its like this whole field. In general there is no right and wrong. There are a lot oof this works for me and the doc says OK, Why don't you try it

CK

Comment

Originally posted by cicero View Post

Cicero-

I just saw your post about your improved numbers. Congratulations! That is so good to hear. You have a great proactive attitude, and that is why you continue to do well.

I do have a bone to pick with you though (regarding ESRD being fatal).....Life itself is terminal....

Please post again when you can and let us know how you are doing.

Be well.
                      Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
                      PD March 2009-present
                      On Transplant List
                      Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

Comment

Originally posted by LindaE View Post
                        Don't forget about home hemo, guys. The NxStage system is portable and easy to transport. It allows you to be home with your family, travel, do water things like fishing, swimming, etc. that PD doesn't.
                        I'd love to "remember" home night time dialysis but my local centers don't support any and won't for at least a year or two or...When might that situation change? I certainly would prefer nighttime dialysis at home when my time to begin dialysis comes. Alice

Comment

Alice, I do NOT suggest this but I got a brochure or two and started speaking to all the patients and getting a list of who loved the thought and who just wanted to find out more about this. After not too much time a week or so I had 15 I'll start tomorrow, and a bunch of I'd like to know more about it.
                          I gave my list to my facility administrator, and she's good. She takes it or she hands it back and says don't mention this again until I tell you you can. About 3 months later we had our first two go on and then our next two go on and so on.
                          Now remember before you start something like this there is an up side and a down side because its a business they run here. I was so disappointed when I found out they were not doing all this for me, there were also other considerations.
                          So you have to be prepared to help in any way you can. Remember they won't say yes unless you ask and they will also say no. Both are valid answers, when they say NO, say Thank you for all the time and consideration you gave to me. That'll get you a telephone call the next time. Good luck
                          Nota Bene: This is how I did my gig with nocturnal dialysis, somebody else was the avenging angle of NxStep

CK

Comment

Nocturnal end of month 2

Its not the land of golden streets, nor the land of Oz. It is just human land with all the normal
                            variations and then some. Life is going good and the days are better, even and superior. I had three days in a row when literally I felt 20 years younger and could almost work that hard.
                            My KT/v has not increased that much it has gone from 2.62 - 2.86. In addition my hemoglobin has increased from 11-11.9 and all the other monthly published variables have behaved them selves more than in the last 3 years.
                            My sleep is more regular and three nights a week I am guaranteed 8 hours and by habit I come close to that at home,
                            I do not mind my diet as close as I used to. I had a Klondike bar the other week. Th first piece of ice cream in over three years. So I am not sticking to me diet as well as I used to on 3x4.
                            I could be doing a lot better than this and the Pulmonary Hypertension could be acting up, but the doctors have not seen fit to say I am better than I feel hypertension or not. Its just the best we can do with two diseases. WANT ONE?

CK

Comment

Re: Nocturnal benefits

Once again not a MD or RN just a CB (country boy).There are so many things to remember, another plus is that phosphorous (I'll kill you slow and miserable) and potassium (ain't nothing slow about me, how about a 7 alarm heart attack) tend to be kept in the middle of the road and so minding them becomes easier.
                              In a nut shell nocturnal dialysis (3x8) is just a better solution to the age old problem, whose turn is it to take out the trash. It gets out and more of it gets out. Its not like stevedores cleaning a cargo ship, its like Clarace's gentle cleaning for gracious homes.
                              Keep smiling and have an eventful month.

CK

Comment

I don't know if this is true everywhere, but I did home nocturnal hemo through davita for a year (I just got a transplant 3 1/2 months ago) and davita required that you have a partner. The big issues are pulling your needles. It's too hard to do alone. Also if you have a problem with the machine or lines during the night you need someone who can act quickly to correct the problems.

Comment