X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIPPA Hype

HIPPA...according to Janet Reno, we should enjoy the same confidentiality in our medical records that we do in our financial institutions, our credit lenders, even our local video store...
    Such were the comparisons she presented to the House when she proposed the bill.
    Well, first of all, financial institutions and credit lenders have done a damn poor job of protecting us from identity theft, and confidentiality is a service we pay for when dealing we employ them. And nothing is confidential to the IRS, credit bureaus, or any other institution when we apply for a loan, or come into large amounts of money.
    The other day, I opened a second checking account at my bank, and first things first, they ran a check to see if I had any outstanding accounts in any other banks, which it turns out, I did...$40.00 in fees from an account closed three years ago. I had to settle with them before I was allowed to open a new account.
    And my local video store has turned me over to a collection agency for late fees, and now said agency has my address, phone number, and employer's name.
    Furthermore, they are promising to place the account in my credit record and damage my credit rating.
    The clerk at the video store is (maybe) a high-school graduate, and under no compunction to protect any information she has about me.

But!!! If I want to share personal information about a patient's condition, history or transplant status with any hospitol, clinic or physician, I MUST obtain legal permission or face dire consequences, both professionally and financially!

The purpose of HIPPA is primarily to prevent exploitation of the patient for commercial gain..." Yes folks, Edith Kerbloncovich uses Polysulfone dialysers for her treatment...Shouldn't you?" Gimme a break!
    But Edith just returned from the Chama Chili Festival when the transplant people called, and her potassium is through the roof so she is ineligible for the kidney...and I can't tell them a thing about it!! I can't even voluntarily show that her labs have been in range for the last eight years, and that I know her as an extremely compliant and worthy candidate for transplant! And I can't tell them that Edith is the foster-family placement co-ordinator for three Pueblos where the demographics indicate the highest rate of child abuse in the state. (fictional Name and Chili festival)
    What ever happened to the days when a healthcare giver was treated like part of a family?
    In my humble opinion, HIPPA has damaged the humanity of the patient/caregiver relationship and opened a whole new market for damage seeking attorneys at the expense of overly dedicated, underly paid technicians and nurses.

Rebuttal is invited.

tom of earth

i work in the long term care as a professonial Activities Director. HIPPA HAS CHANGED MY JOB TOO. IT USED TO I COULD TAKE PICTURES, POST BIRTHDAYS OF THE RESIDENTS OR HAVE THE MEDIA COME OUT AND DO INTERVIEWS. SINCE HIPPA STARTED I CAN NO LONGER DO THESE THINGS. I ALWAYS HAVING OTHER FAMILY MEMBER ASK WHY IS SO AND SO SI CK? I HAVE TO TELL THEM THEY MUST TALK TO THEIR FAMILY MEMBER BECAUSE I NO LONGER ABLE TO DECUSS IT WITH THEM MOST OF THE RESIDENTS ARE LIKE FAMILY THEY HAVE TRUE CONCERN FOR EACH OTHER . I DON?"T THINK IT HURT TO TELL ANYONE THAT MAYBE mRS. JONES HAS A COLD. BUT I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY HIPPA IS SO IMPOIRTANT. IN TODAYS SOCIETY PEOPLE ARE SUE HAPPY. PEOPLE ARE SUEING FOR ANYTHING. I F I GET ON A TRANPLANT LIST I DO'T WANT EVERYONE KNOW ALL MY INFORMATION. I FEEL IT UP TO ME TO DECIDE WHOM I WANT TO SHARE MY MEDICAL HISTROY WITH

Comment

Rebuttal permission accepted

First things first, please note that the acronym in your post was incorrect (HIPPA), which can only lead me to believe that you are not aware of its actual meaning. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 has two main functions. First is the Insurance Reform and second is the Administrative Simplification.

Please refer to the CMS website http://www.cms.hhs.gov/hipaa/ for further information.

I work in the insurance industry. I work with both government insurers and commercial insurers. HIPAA was introduced a long time ago. HIPAA was established to protect the rights of patients. The second order of HIPAA business is to have all healthcare providers compliant w/ electronic standards for submitting claims. Medicare, Medicaid and commercial insurers are required to be compliant to accept electronic claims. The submission of electronic claims allows less human contact, less error rate, less chance for fraudulant activitiy.
      Please note that the last (fraudulant activity) is what you should be concerned with. One reason fraudulant activity happens is because patients do not supply their healthcare providers w/ accurate insurance information, dates of birth, or employment information (for Coordination of benefits purposes). Each day at work I see these errors, so instead of saying that Janet Reno had it in for us, please read the law.
      Please also note that HIPAA is meant to protect the patient. How does it do this???? By not allowing their diagnosis to be spread to just anyone. Patients names have been slandered due to no law to keep their illness private. You say that money hungry lawyers set out to destroy. Well, these patients are being protected from the ambulance chasers.
      I apologize for being so hard on your post. However, it appears that you do not understand the true meaning of HIPAA. Once you have visited the CMS website, I welcome your rebuttal.

Comment

HIPAA is a good thing!

I think HIPAA is a great way to keep patient confidentiality. Maybe I don't want my neighbors or co workers to know my business or my health concerns. Without this employers can inquire about your health and hire or fire you or make life harder for you if you do have a health problem. Insurance companies will not insure you. Your health is your own business and nobody elses business. No health care worker should be talking about patients with anyone else but the patient! If you want to share your health info fine--that's your decision. But if I choose to keep my health private my decison should be respected as well.

Comment

How does this law prevent insurance companies collecting your health information? I tried getting an individual insurance coverage, they all had denied me for having a "existing condition".

Comment

Re: HIPPA Hype

Hi,this is alora.HIPAA is a federal law that protects health information. Federal standards are now in place that ensure patients have access to their own medical records while adding new responsibilities to those charged with protecting this information.If you want more please visit us.
            ===============================================
            alora
            hipaa

Comment

Re: HIPPA Hype

HIPAA also allows a patient to review their medical records and to correct any misinformation in them. That was not allowed previously. I work in a large health system in Florida and my Director spends a lot of her time making these amendments to the patient's record.

Comment

It regulates the availability and breadth of group health plans and certain individual health insurance policies. EDI health care claim transaction set is used to submit health claim billing information, proceed information.

Comment

Glad to see people agreeing on this topic. It's great to see movements towards protecting people's confidentiality. If you want to make your cryptocurrency transactions private as well, you will find https://bitmix.biz/en useful for this purpose. It can tumble your Bitcoin, Dash and Litecoin transactions, protecting your identity across the network.

Comment

Working...
                  X