How I Break the Boredom

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do not have internet get a cheap DVd player and a Nexflix membership...unlimited DVDs to your house for $10? a month.

Also Nintendo DS w brain academy has good puzzles and is $100 something...

Comment

OOoh ya, video games are my BIGGEST favorite. Love the shootem ups like those classic alien arcades or the Texas Holden, hahahaha Now if you really wanna get hypnotized while dialyzing try playing Multiplayer games such as CS Source, hehehe

Originally posted by Ottawagirl View Post
      If you do not have internet get a cheap DVd player and a Nexflix membership...unlimited DVDs to your house for $10? a month.

Also Nintendo DS w brain academy has good puzzles and is $100 something...
      My Blog Site
      Http://www.dailyhemo.org
      sigpic

Comment

You can pick up a good late-model laptop with all the goodies (wireless, DVD player, etc.) on Ebay for $200-300.
        Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
        Flip

Comment

If anyone is looking for a website that has fun games and also where you can earn points towards gift cards and prizes I am a member of boomertowne.com and you can earn 1,500 points a day reading articles and playing games. It is 10 points per game (once a day) and you get other points for rating jokes and quotes too.

For 300 points you can get a sunglass car clip and they have a lot of smaller prizes. But for 12,500 points you can get a Best Buy GC

I am at 10,000 points by clicking for about 30 minutes a day.
          If you get 5 refferals in 1 month you get 10,000 bonus points.
          I do not have any refferals yet...

But if anyone is interested and wants to help me out in the points dept, it would be appreciated. If not hopefully the site will entertain you!
          I am averaging 1,000 points a day and managed to get 1,500pts tonite the first time finally!
          By monday or tues I should have enough to redeem for a best buy card

Anyway, hopefully me message is not too "spammy" as I have been a member here for a while.

Comment

Imagination

I get really bored and watch the clock and the time moves slowly. So, I find myself really frustrated. So, what I do sometimes is cover my head with my blanket and imagine myself walking along the shore of some beautiful beach. Once I start imagining, it grows into a great story. I was really surprised that I could see so much in my minds eye. It made the time pass.

Comment

Re: How I Break the Boredom

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and glad that I came across this. I'm going to be volunteering at my dialysis unit and was thinking of some cool, fun and creative ideas for the patients'.
              As a patient myself, I've had ESRD since June 2005 and have been on dialysis since. And YES, it can get boring. I have a mixture of patients from young to older. So I'm thinking of some fun things that we all can do. Since we are confined to our chairs....well you know the rest.
              In the past we have played phosphorus bingo. We used to do that once a month but the girl who used to do it, she is now a tech and is in reuse. So they have been keeping her busy. I've been observing some of the patients' just to see what they are currently doing. You can tell by their faces that they are just as bored as I am.....I've written a list of different activities and things that we can do. Since I go to treatment on Mon-Wed-Fri, I'll be volunteering at my center on Tues. Thurs I have physical therapy.
              So thank all of you for some great ideas!

Comment

Personally, once I am on I put my headphones on hooked up to my iPod and listen to my music and go to sleep.

strings_man62

Comment

I have been on dialysis 10 months and I watch our cable TV programs, read a good book or chat with the nurses and patients. Since I'm right handed and it's difficut getting use to
                  working with my left hand during my 3 hour treatment and awkward, I also get some catch up sleep which helps pass the time. I'm greatul I found this site since many of your ideas I never would have thought of. Thank you for all your ideas.

Comment

Well, I have read some of the post on this subject, How I Break the Boredom. I must admit today and in the last decade, labtops, computers, MP3 Players, and cell phones have come in existence, but those are not the only means of combating the boredom when having dialysis treatment. I could remember when I first started hemodialysis, yes I do admit I became bored after about a week of treatment, the first week was learning to adjust to this new life that I was finding quite challenging. Of course the unit provided individual TV for our enjoyment, and there were those who would be conversating with fellow patients that were in talking view of them, in some cases, right next to them or across from them, and there were those who would be listening to music on their cassette player, or if they are fortunate to have a CD player, and there were some that were just catching zzzz or just chillin. Now, in my case, when I soon discovered boredom where dialysis is concerned, I brought my crafting projects to work on, such as plastic canvas, crocheting, cross stitching, and stenciling, sometimes I would even bring my sewing projects in, but another veteran patient shared her boredom releaser, she would do crossword vigorously, and find it truly passed the time away. Well, I decided to invest in crossword, they come in little booklets and large booklets, I soon became addicted to those booklets. She also told me that she had a subcription for those booklets, and so I became a adamant subscriber, and that is what I did to pass the time away from then on, I even did crossword possible when I was hospitalized for one health issue or another (LOL). And there was this elderly patient that would read the bible, every time he is dialyzing like clockwork. I was curious, I asked him if he was a preacher or something, but he told me that the bible just gives him a sense of inner peace and it truly helps him to relax. There was one young patient, that was around my age, maybe his ealry 30's, that was doing a home business, that did some of his work would on the machine, but he had one of those portable phones, that back then was called the "Brick", so of course it was a little too awkward to be on a phone sitting in the recliner, but he did it for quite awhile. And there was another patient that was a CPA, and did some of his accounting work while dialyzing. So, you see back in the day, we all came up with very unique ways of combating our boredom while dialyzing. I guess some patients that are anzy, do have difficulty trying to keep from getting bored. All in all, there is so much out there to keep from getting bored that you can do on the machine. If you love to write, make up some poems, you would be amazed at how brilliant your mind can be, you may come up with some poems that reflex your life on dialysis (LOL). and also if you bring your computers or labtops to the unit, fill out some of those surveys, but check to make sure there is no profit gimmick attached to it, or you could fill out questionnaires online. That's all I have to say about this subject.
                    Glo
                    A veteran dialysis patient at Davita, Fairfield, CA

Comment

my mom goes 3 times a week and she z really bored
                      she is blind
                      dont know how to help her keep the boredom away
                      God Bless you all

Comment

I'm getting ready for my third week of dialysis, so I am developing a system for keeping busy. I have a backpack I take with me, and whenever I have any "paperwork" type things to do, I put them in the backpack. For example, unless it looks urgent, I put all my mail (bills, magazines, newsletters, etc) into the backpack without opening it. Anything I want to read goes in there. I make lists of people I need to call and put that in my backpack also. Cards I need to send out also go in there. I keep stamps and my checkbook in the backpack. In this way I save all this stuff to do during dialysis and it frees up my time at home for cleaning, yardwork, and other things I need to get done. I do have a laptop and my dialysis center got wireless just for me So that really helps me stay busy emailing, facebooking, and reading on this site and others to learn more about my disease! TV is of no interest to me, so I have to be creative. I also have a little Bible in my backpack and find dialysis is good time in The Word
                        Lori

Comment

xbox 360 and connect it to a portable dvd player...keep it in back of the chair so that it doesn't interfere with the lines...

Comment

Breaking the Boredom

Reading: I'd love to but the techs fuss at me if I move my arm with the needles. That leaves the other arm which will hold a light book or magazine. Problem is it gets tired and frequenlty my hand cramps. When I do get established, on comes the blood pressure cuff which straightens that arm out!

I mentioned my electronic game which has the same problem as books and magazines. Radio works fine; I will try to borrow my daughters DVD player and MP3 player and try them.

And hopefully all those problems will be easier to overcome when I go one home hemo.

Comment

My husband has been on dialysis since 1/11/2002; his clinic was recently purchased by DaVita and they do have WiFi....if any one can figure out the password; the staff has been researching it for 4 weeks. He has used a portable DVD player, has an IPOD touch and tries to sleep. After being on dialysis so many years, you have to continually look for positive things to keep you occupied during the 3 hours of cleansing. I admire everyone on dialysis and know it is difficult to sit for the long periods of time

Comment

Computer tablets are very popular now and makes the perfect tool for dialysis sessions. You can literally do many things with those tablets including games, word search, crossword puzzles, movies and more! If you get one, get one with either 3G or 4G and with wi-fi access so that you can have internet access.
                                My Blog Site
                                Http://www.dailyhemo.org
                                sigpic

Comment