Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Describing Hemo Treatments - The Perfect Video

I get a lot of people asking me what dialysis is like. I'm doing Hemo at the Davita clinic around the corner from my house. My wife drives me everyday and sits there with me. People we know all ask about dialysis and what it's like. I'm still new to it so most days it makes me sick or just wipes me out completely. I usually end up in bed afterwards for the rest of the day and usually part of the next day. The best way I've been able to describe dialysis to people is to show them this video. It's a scene from Princess Bride. Most people just say "jeesh" or "wow". One of my sisters refuses to watch it...

The Princess Bride - The Machine

Jon.

I've been conducting home hemodialysis since mid July 2012 when I started the training for same. I can't say I've ever had an experience that matched Cary Elwes' experience on the "life sucking" machine in "The Princess Bride" during or after conducting an HHD treatment during training or at home on a NxStage System1cycler or in-center on a Fresenius 2008K dialysis machine. This includes an in-center treatment where instead of taking off between 1 and 1.5kg in fluid, they took off nearly 3.0 kg in the span of 3.5 hours. I was a visitor in a DaVita clinic in downtown Kansas City, MO where I was on business for the week and needed two treatments to maintain my 5X weekly regime.

At home I conduct a mix of nocturnal and daily treatments that will last between 2-1/4 to 3 hrs (24 to 32 liter daily) and 7 to 9 hrs (40 liter nocturnal). I will remove between 1.0 kg and 1.3 kg of fluid on most treatments, but have removed up to 3.0 kg. Other than some leg cramping near the end of a treatment, my "life force"/energy level after completing a treatment is unchanged and if anything, I am somewhat energized afterwards.

Hemodialysis clearly affects individuals differently, but the 5X weekly HHD regime that includes a couple nocturnal treatments, certainly is less traumatizing than a 3X weekly in-center treatment regime. This is owed to the amount of dialysis, the amount of fluid removed during a treatment and potentially the psychological effects of the surroundings. I treat in the comfort of my own home with my care partner/spouse nearby and control virtually all the aspects of my treatment. I always make good use of the time I spend during my awake treatments, which makes the time go by more quickly than I would expect.

Comment

One of the worst days I've had was a couple weeks ago. I had a substitute tech who did a terrible job. In 3.5 hours he took off 6 pounds of water. I thought I was going to die for sure. I didn't even know/think that was possible. It took two days to recover.

Jon.

Comment

I was told 4 pounds was the limit they could take at one time.

Comment

The appeal of russian brides is undoubtedly in their warmth and hospitality. They love to host parties, birthday parties and other celebrations with friends and family. They also love to cook, clean and tend to their families. Most Russian wives consider their lifestyles to be highly fulfilling and prefer to stay at home. Their culture promotes women to stay at home and care for their children. This makes a Russian bride an ideal life partner.

Comment