Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pd what do you think

I've been getting Dialysis in Center my brother was going to give me a kidney but the hospital said I am not a candidate for transplant cause of health issues so I have been talking to the center about pd does anyone have any thoughts about this kind of treatment.

I just spoke to my Dr, about starting PD. Been on Dialysis, this time around for 6 yrs. have had 2 transplants. I just had my fistula removed. Had it for 23 yrs. still worked. Just too many aneurysms. Had to go. Kind of tired of being a pin cushion though. So I’m hoping PD works. I wish you the best. Hope all works out for you.

Comment

Thank you wish you well also.

Comment

I switched to PD from in center about a year ago..best decision I ever made as far as treatment goes. Depending on you and your lifestyle it could be very beneficial. I know it's not for everyone, but do your research on it to find out if it's a good option for you. I was having a lot of issues with my graft clotting off when I was in center. Seemed like every time I turned around I was having another surgery to fix my arm. With working full time as well, that really made things difficult. PD has worked out great for my lifestyle and work schedule and I feel like I have a lot more free time along with feeling so much better than I did when I was doing in center treatments. There are some trade offs to doing PD, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

Comment

I've been on home PD for 5 months now, working well. I'm doing 3 days (nights) on, one night off. I do get tired of all the things I have to do just to get up in the morning, though! Setting up at night is easier. I get it all started before watching TV or whatever, then the rest just before bed. Seems to feel like less time involved. Still wish I could just get into bed/get out of bed in the morning. But this is way better than hemo- and being hooked up during the day for several hours. Also better on your body, more like your own kidneys working, and I do whatever I want all day every day.

Comment

Not to push you away from hemo, nor am I not denying its benefits but. I used to work in Interventional radiology, and we got blocked fistulas all the time to open up. This pushed my decision more towards PD. I have been on it for almost a year now and I am very used to the routine, it has been working well, the only issues I have is that mine does not drain well when laying flat and I get numerous alarms that wake me at night., other than that, I wouldn't change it.

Comment

Been on P.D. now two years and compared to what I know about hemo ( I have never been on it) it is definitely the way to go. It allows the freedom to hook yourself up at any time and sleep through the better part of the treatment. I usually hook up just before bed around 10:30 Pm and am asleep by 11:00. Nothing left to do when I wake up except disconnect and make note of machine reading. I then go about anything else I might want to do. There are a couple of problems one being that it does not drain well if I sleep on the wrong side of the bed and the machine will alarm. After a short while I have learned not to sleep that way and the problem is less frequent. Another problem is the storage of supplies. About 35 or 38 boxes of 50 pounds each must be stored along with other care supplies (tape bandages etc..) and one needs the space to store them. Lastly there is a great amount of trash generated and empting of drain bags to be dealt with each day..All that being said the flexability in daily life and travel ease(the machine is portable can be hooked up in a hotel or anywhere else) make P. D the best choice if one is a candidate for it.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I just letting you know that I've did decide to go with PD I've had my catheter in 4 weeks I start training tomorrow. Praying for you all Denis

Comment

Hey Denis, I have been on PD for a little over 15 months. It is preferable. Others have pointed out the good and the bad, so I won't repeat what they've said, just that when weighing pros and cons, I definitely made the right choice in switching. I guess by now you've been on it for a while. I hope it's going well. Let us know.

Comment

Just getting my Pd catheter next week. I guess then the adventure begins. I’ll keep in touch. Thanks for the info...it’s comforting.

Comment

I've been on it since March. I get my fiscal sept 1. We aren't sure how long I'll be able to stay on this. There are good things and bad things about PD. Everyone is different good luck.

Comment

I am interested in going on PD. I think it is the way to go.

Comment

I've been on PD for 4 long terrible years. Cycler every right. I was only on Hemo briefly (via carotid) when I was first diagnosed and hated every single second of it. While I also don't like PD either, (it sucks). I appreciate the freedom and for me it's much better than Hemodialysis in a center.

Comment