Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restless leg syndrome

I have RLS something fierce. I'm on 200mg gabapentin, but that's not helping. I exercise, and I've tried massage, hot & cold wraps, too. Nothing really helps. Anyone have suggestions of what's worked for them?

I have read there is a study about pickle juice as a remedy. 2- 3 ounces of pickle juice is said to lessen or eliminate RLS. There is a fair amount of salt in it so I would be careful but if they are making you miserable I would probably give it a try once and see if it helps or eliminates them all together. Hope this helps

Comment

Hi I also have severe RLS. I have been on Cymbalta 60mg for over 3 years and it helped great until my GFR started really going downhill. They say dialysis can make RLS worse. I have started taking 600mg of Gabapentin the last couple of months and they are now a lot better. I don't think you are taking enough Gabapentin to help the RLS. I have had mine for about 30 years. Adding the Cymbalta and Gabapentin together has made a huge difference. Good Luck and Take Care

Comment

I have RLS....I found if I tied my lower legs, ankles and feet with scarves...it would subside. I don't know why...but it works for me.

Comment

I have tried several medicines; including gabapentin and nothing worked for me. Starting getting neuropathy in my feet really bad (and I am NOT DIABETIC) and my DR tried several things for that too; and then we tried LYRICA; once a day...now I have neither...no RLS or neuropathy. If I miss a two days in a row...they both start coming back.
          AV Fistula - Upper Left Arm - 09/09
          Fistula Gram 01/10
          Start Dialysis 05/10
          Fistula Gram 07/10

Comment

OMG, I have RSL something terrible. Happens about 4 to 5 days a week and can start as early as 430 pm and also sometimes. I'm on gabapintine and amatrptaline but I'm not sure either work. During the times it extremely bad, such as having to stand and walk around all night, my Dr gave me zanex 2.5 mg. It seems to work but I don't get enough of it to take it all the time because my Dr is worried about addiction. I haven't tries tying my ankles together yet but at this point I will try anything.

Comment

same here, the only thing that works for me when i get RLS is walking! i am talking gabapentin and some xanax (alprazolam). I usually take the alprazolam (0.5mg) before my hemodialysis treatment otherwise I wouldnt be able to stay in for full lenght treatment.

Comment

I have heard a few things about RLS . I used to have them all the time. Now I take 2 clonazepam and 1 sleeping pill (zoplicone) and I have never had them again.
                I also heard about a strange one but there are people that swear about it. Putting a fresh bar of soap under the sheets. There is no reason why or explanation how but apparently it seems to work for people. Look it up online, you will find it.
                It has too be a fresh bar of soap not a dried up one. Hope you find something that works for you.

Comment

hi @eiforcoop1 .It never happens to me for the first 2 years since i start hemodialysis.but after 2 years when my kidneys completely stoped producing urine my legs getting uncontrol,and i try server kinds of medications but seems doesnt work to me.even my back and arms feel the same way like my legs.and the syndrome getting worse everyday(i cant even sleep in the night and sometimes the syndrome wake me up in the middle of night).one day i visited one of my aunt and i mentioned about RLS,she told me she had the same problem but she's a healthy person,she said u better have a blood test see if u have lower hemachrome.afterward the result proved she was right.and i start taking VC Folic Acid Tablet,a shot of
                  • erythropoietin once a week and drink ginsen tea when i back home.tell u what,those are really work to me.and it didnt come back to me any more.hope u find that useful for u mate.wish u all the best!!!

Comment

I have had had RLS since I was in my 30's. I'm 54 now, and just started hemodialysis about 9 months ago. I take 2 mg. of clonazepam (klonopin) and 100 mg. Of gabapentin right before bedtime. Now my RLS can occur anytime of day, whereas before dialysis it was only at night. Good luck and talk to your nephrologist.

Comment

I have been on hemo dialysis for 21 years, I weigh less than 46 kg, and currently take 500 mg of Gabapentin. For my weight, my nephrologist feels that amount should be the max for me. It greatly helps my RLS, but of greater annoyance is the neuropathy in my feet. I'm not diabetic, but over the years, dialysis has affected the delicate nerve endings. I feel the Gabapentin also helps the neuropathy, but I try to take it only when I absolutely have to (at bedtime). It's easy to build up a tolerance to this medication, and because I can never take a higher dose, I don't want that to occur. Remember, RLS is not only annoying to you, but it also affects your sleeping partner. My husband says I can be kicking all night--and I'm sound asleep, unaware of it all. With the help of my nephrologist, I've tried other meds for relief, but they didn't agree with my system. A little bit of medication goes a long way with me, and most are too strong and intolerable. Talk seriously with your doctor about your symptoms. If one thing doesn't work, be willing to explore other options. I wish you all the best.

Comment

I have had RLS for years. I take 65 mg iron every day but still get it. However, the one thing that cures it fort me is Ropinirole HCL 1 mg. That is the only thing that has helped me in all the years I have had it.

Comment

I had this problem, which turned out to be due to iron deficiency. With iron supplements, the problem disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by eifortcoop1 View Post
                            I have RLS something fierce. I'm on 200mg gabapentin, but that's not helping. I exercise, and I've tried massage, hot & cold wraps, too. Nothing really helps. Anyone have suggestions of what's worked for them?

Do you get leg cramps too? How's your sugar intake? Diet has a lot to do with how you feel. If you ingest a large amount of sugar, that can play heavily on how your body feels. Remember, carbs digest directly into sugar in your body so it's not only the direct sugar you consume, but also the carbs, bread, grains and processed foods you eat too. http://www.experiencepaleo.com/best-paleo-replacements/

Are you also drinking too much water? Sometimes drinking lots of water, which is good for the kidneys, can also flush out nutrients your body needs. Try drinking coconut water or taking a potassium supplement.

What are your workouts like? How often do you exercise and at what intensity? Maybe increasing the intensity or changing the routine will help.

Comment

I have also had restless leg syndrome for years and it has gotten progressively worse as the years go by. I am on Ropinirole10 mg -. pills 3 at a time about 2 hrs. before bedtime. Seems to be only thing that helps. I am also on Gabapentin but not for RLS but for Neuropathy.

Comment