Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advil or Aleve?

Just started physical therapy for pain in hip and knee. PT suggested I take an anti-inflammatory. Which one? She suggested Advil or Aleve. I want to pick up some today before I go to dialysis. Seeing that I'm already on dialysis, I'm assuming it can't affect my kidneys any more. Please advise.

Oh, I am not so sure about that. My Nephrologis was insistant I only take tylenol, both pre and post transplant. PLEASE call you doctor first, as I doubt they will want you to take either...

Comment

I recently had a bout of muscular based chest pain that landed me in a hospital emergency room, owed to the "chest pain" symptom. After deducing what I had done earlier in the week to produce the muscle pain, I conferred with my nephrologist and requested some form of pain relief. He recommended Aleve. I was quite surprised at this because anyone with renal insufficiency up to an including kidney failure is supposed to stay away from NSAID's (non-steroidal anti- inflammatory drugs). Impaired kidneys cannot "clear" the active ingredients effectively. Because I am on dialysis (HHD) I can take these medications as hemodialysis will clear the drug from my blood. I've grown so accustomed to taking Extra Strength Tylenol for any aches and pains that I couldn't bring myself to take an Aleve, even though I had purchased some.

Comment

I was also told that I could only take Tylenol. Advil and Aleve are probably what caused most of my kidney disease. Since I stopped taking them my GFR has gone from 46 back up to 73. Definally call you Nephrologist before taking either.
        sigpic distal renal tubular acidosis, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, Sjogren's, non-diabetic osteoarthriis and an overactive bladder GFR was 55 as of 8/2/10 Linda

Comment

update: Never have taken Advil or Aleve before, I did get the o.k. from my nephrologist.

Comment

When reviewing the DaVita site I came across a posted about the safety of taken herbs. I myself am very careful to what I am taken to protect my kidney health. What I wanted to ask you is IP6 and turmeric safe to take? I cook with turmeric to bring out the flavor. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Comment

I prefer advil

small business funding

Comment

I was quite surprised at this because anyone with renal insufficiency up to an including kidney failure is supposed to stay away from NSAID's (non-steroidal anti- inflammatory drugs). Impaired kidneys cannot "clear" the active ingredients effectively. Vinyl Fence Installation

Comment