X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• numbness in hands

mt hand goes numb about half an hour into the treatment. sometimes the pain is so bad that we have to cut the treatment short. I've only been on hemo about 4 months and it seems to be getting worse. the doc who did my fistula says it's a low blood flow. does anyoneelse have this problem and what was done to correct it.

I have the same problem except my fingers stay numb all the time.I was tested recently and have not recieved the results yet.My Dr seems to think it's poor circulation also.I know this is no help but at least you know your not alone.

Comment

The solution is to hold on to something warm. At first my tech went and got a glove with hot water in it. Then I saw a hand warmer for the cold weather and I bought them. I just put one of those in my hand starts to numb up. Then I also got some leg socks and put that up to the elbow where the fistula is. That also helps when the lower arm hurts as well. I can put one of those hand warmers in it and the pain goes away. Try to think out of the box is something I do very well and don't mind sharing what I figure works. Hope this helps you.

Comment

This sounds like "steal syndrome" where your fistula is "stealing" the blood supply from your hand. To correct it, your surgeon, may have to
        "tie off" a vessel from the fistula so you have more blood going to your hand.

Comment

Exercise and heat seem to help the steal syndrome for me. I am so glad that after all they did to my arm in the last 5 months that the steal syndrome isn't as bad and just exercising the fingers takes that numbness away or a little heat for a short period of time. (I had three fistula grams, a catheter and a transposition.). Since they took the catheter out a week and a half ago, I am permitted to go back to the Y to do aerobic water walking. I have more energy and feel so much better. I am still tired but that heavy feeling that I had is gone. Also, dialysis isn't bad anymore. They have started the button holes and there is not pain in the lower needle and the top needle is less than a blood draw pain for about 30 seconds and then they tell me that too will have no pain when the buttonhole is established. I am thank God for all the help my center has given me with head nurse, techs, a doctor who knows a lot about PKD and sending me to a vascular doctor who knew what he was doing and was not negative about fistulas. The original vascular doctor was very negative and refused to lift the fistula. I sure didn't need negativity and refusal to fix something he created.
          Of course knowing how much a fistula gram cost, I see he was making money on those procedures. Now I have no future appointments with my new vascular doctor and he is please with my progress. Don't forget to ask questions and advocate for yourself. I am quiet and usually not pushy, put I have learned a lot and will stand up for myself when my health is concerned. I am fighting this disease line, hook and sinker with the support of God, family and church friends.
          Last edited by kcramer; 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I sometimes get that but it resolves by flexing the hand some. Sort of like when your foot falls asleep.

Comment

Do some exercise maybe?
              relationship therapy

Comment