X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balancing electrolites and cramps

I'm new to dialysis, struggling with weight (low), cramping in feet, legs and hands, electrolite balance, fluid intake (allowed a litre a day but that's too much) phospates, potassium, sodium and calcium, and with anemia. of these, right now, my albumin is low and I continue to struggle to bring my weight up.

I need to find a proper balance and amount to my diet to avoid sever cramping and get my weight up...not too much or too quickly. it's a tricky job, balancing everything.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

my basic diet is 2 poached eggs with toast (salt free or multigrain depending on where my sodium level is and what I plan to eat for lunch and dinner) and fruit. I've recently added a small bowl of cereal with rice milk to add some weight and protein.

lunch is protein, usually in a sandwich, again,.salt free or multi-grain depending, sometimes adding a salad with rasberry vinagrett dressing, and fruit.

dinner is a protein, usually chicken but pork, broiled with salt free seasoning and nothing else, lean ground and drained burger with salt free seasoning and nothing else. I haven't tried tomato sauce. lots of salt in most of those. ..I try to vary my diet but it's not easy. I took salad makings and a handful of ground beef and made that a meal, but it lacked a lot. so does a tuna sandwich with just a dusting of maonaise (,sp?) and a few microscopic dots of mustard. Mrs. Dash helped. a lot of the Davita recipes perplex me, they are certainly not allowed on my diet. it's a tightrope diet, because the slightest bit off, or trying to eat as much as I'm told I'm allowed, causes a lot of suffering.

Just a few thoughts. There is a milkshake food supplement my husband drinks. It was recommended by his dietitian. It is called Nepro. It's for people on dialysis.Made by Abbott Labs. It is delivered by Fedex and costs $55 per case of 24. Ask your dietitian, mine had a flyer with a reduced price for people in dialysis. It is high in protein and low in potassium and phosphorus. Another dietitian told me to give my husband a dill pickle when he had cramps. Actually 1/4th of a pickle. It stops the cramps.
    I make soups for my husband. I use a pressure cooker (you don't need one just a large pot), brown 4 chicken legs in it, add a chopped onion and 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning. Put on the lid and cook for 1 hour. Fish our the chicken, cool, pick meat off bones and add to the pot. Then add lots of chopped vegetables. Put back on the heat and cook for 45 minutes. The vegetables you add will change the flavor of each pot you make. Do not use bouillon or canned stock. Just get the flavor out of those chix legs. Use garlic if you like, lots of pepper, hot green chilies, bell pepper, corn,zucchini, celery, green beans, hot paprika, just make it taste good. You should have enough soup for 6 meals. There will be about 2 ounces of protein in each cup of soup. I make beef soup with a 1 inch thick slice of beef shank, but I add red wine to the liquid and add lots of onions and mushrooms. I do the same thing with pork neck bones but I roast them in the oven first until they are golden brown all over. Snacks are important. Rice crispy treats are a safe treat. Apple crisps (like potato chips), snow pea crisps, terra vegetable chips, and corn tortilla chips without salt have all worked for him.

Comment

Originally posted by nekokitty View Post
      I'm new to dialysis, struggling with weight (low), cramping in feet, legs and hands, electrolite balance, fluid intake (allowed a litre a day but that's too much) phospates, potassium, sodium and calcium, and with anemia. of these, right now, my albumin is low and I continue to struggle to bring my weight up.

I need to find a proper balance and amount to my diet to avoid sever cramping and get my weight up...not too much or too quickly. it's a tricky job, balancing everything.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

my basic diet is 2 poached eggs with toast (salt free or multigrain depending on where my sodium level is and what I plan to eat for lunch and dinner) and fruit. I've recently added a small bowl of cereal with rice milk to add some weight and protein.

lunch is protein, usually in a sandwich, again,.salt free or multi-grain depending, sometimes adding a salad with rasberry vinagrett dressing, and fruit.

dinner is a protein, usually chicken but pork, broiled with salt free seasoning and nothing else, lean ground and drained burger with salt free seasoning and nothing else. I haven't tried tomato sauce. lots of salt in most of those. ..I try to vary my diet but it's not easy. I took salad makings and a handful of ground beef and made that a meal, but it lacked a lot. so does a tuna sandwich with just a dusting of maonaise (,sp?) and a few microscopic dots of mustard. Mrs. Dash helped. a lot of the Davita recipes perplex me, they are certainly not allowed on my diet. it's a tightrope diet, because the slightest bit off, or trying to eat as much as I'm told I'm allowed, causes a lot of suffering.
      nekokitty,

Are you on dialysis ? There are several brands/types of protein supplements available. There is an item called protein whey by body fortress usually found at walmart. It contains 58g of protein per serving. I would ask your dietitian before taking any type of supplements to make sure it is ok. Another one is called a protein shot (liguie) by body fortress. It contains 29g per 3 oz service. Nepro and Ensure are also excellent but again, make sure they are ok for you to take... The lack of protein can cause slow healing as well as fluid retentsion as the fluid is unable to transfer out of the tissues.
      NxStage - Since April - 06
      Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

I have some of the same issues as you. Some are completely opposite too.

When I was horribly anemic I was drinking the Body Fortress whey protein. The only issue I had was the amount fo fluid it added. I discussed it at length with my dietician and she thought it was perfectly fine. I also like the Nectar brand which is also low carb. I was adding between 100-150g of protein per day. Getting around 1oz of protein just prior to treatment and if you can, an ounce as a snack during seems to be somewhat effective. Finish up with maybe 2oz after treatment to help recover then.

One of the premade drinks I liked when I was sick was called Zoic. It's low carb and very high in protein.

Where are your potassium and phosphorus now? Do you take binders?

To help with cramping, Vitamin E, D, B (which you should be on already or at least Folic Acid)., may help. I would take the vitamins about and hour before treatment. If push comes to shove, you can ask your Nephrologist for Tramadol for the cramping pain, and Neurontin to help with the spasms. It works quite well for me. The only issue is being doped up.

How much fluid are you taking off per treatment?

Comment

I too have the same issues. Cramping almost every time. They average 3-4 liters of fluid taken off each time.
          1 liter a day is not much fluid intake and sometimes I get so thursty.

Comment

Salt helps with the cramping, but just a tad, or pinch, Do not go overboard with the salt, Salt makes you thirsty, Sugar makes you thirsty, also.

Comment

Yes, The thirst never ends. Salt helps with the cramps, but just a tad or a pinch of salt, Do not go overboard with the salt. Salt, Sugar, make you more thirsty. Try to separate your 32 oz. of fluids farther appart to stay within your fluid limits. Say, Instead of 8oz.x 4, try 4oz. x 4, to help you stay at 32 oz.

Comment

Yes, balance is very tricky, Your kidney used to do the work, that you used to take for granted. Salt helps with the cramps, but just a tad or a pinch, Salt and Sugar can make you thirsty. And the thirst never ends, so take up candy, especially sour candy.Your energy level will drop, cause your body needs Oxygenated blood, but since your kidneys don't do that anymore. You have to push yourself, and push real hard. That builds endurance. Been on dialysis for 20+ years. Dialysis is hard, but doable.

Comment

Keep holding on

couples therapy near me

Comment