Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on how to reduce fluid intake?

I've been on dialysis for about 8 years now, and no matter what I have tried to do over the years, I always come into the center having drank way too much fluid. I typically have to remove 5+kl, which I know is much more than I need to be taking off. What do other people do to reduce their fluid intake between sessions to stay in the recommended 4kl area?

Like I said previously, I've been doing this for 8 years now and haven't found any way to control my fluid intake.

Any ideas will help. Thanks!

Eston Burciaga

Well, what works for me is to rarely drink water. I almost always drink juice when thirsty, so I can get some calories with the liquid intake. Of course, I'm not diabetic, so this wouldn't be a good idea if you were. Some people also say that lemon drops will reduce thirst.

Comment

One way to stick to your fluid intake allowance it to fill a pitcher or bottle with the daily allowed amount.

Don't forget that Popsicles, ice cubes, soup, jello and everything that turns into liquid form at room temp, should also be included in your daily limit.
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I have devised a little system for fluid and I am not on fluid restriction because of this system. I am going on just over a year and a half on HD. I am a very large guy who used to drink a lot of diet soda before this disease hit me.

Right after dialysis (within 30 minutes) I drink 4 to 6 oz of juice. I buy the little kids juices at the 99 cent store. I try to buy the one with the most nutrient/vitamins with no phosphorus. If you are diabetic watch the sugar! Buy one with Cranberry juice in it if you get UTIs.

By replacing a little fluid and nutrients directly after dialysis it tricks my body into thinking it has fluid and it replaces some of the nutrients. If I don't drink this I usually am out of control.

The other thing I do is use hard candies, mints and chewing gum (sugar-free if diabetic). This really helps with thirst.

I also suck on ice.

When I have fluid I fill the cup up with ice and then put in the liquid. After I drink it I suck on the ice.

It was very difficult the first couple of months until I came up with this system by trial and error.

To add to the list above. DO NOT eat a lot of water filled fruits as well (Melons, Grapers, Strawberries etc.).

Always HOPE!

Brook B.
        Last edited by Graphicsguy; 06-30-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Many of yoursuggestions are good although I find myself usingto many sugar free candies during the course of a day .What do you reccomend to aviod getting a sweet tooth Pena47

Comment

Thanks for all of your input, guys. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am a smoker. That makes controlling my fluid intake harder than usual because after every cigarette I always need something to drink to get the "after-cigarette" taste out of my mouth. That translates into several drinks of some sort of fluid every day. Add that to the fluid taken in with meals and it comes out to a lot of fluid.

I also live in Houston, TX which is very hot in the summer. Since I spend a lot of time outside in the heat because I smoke, that leads to serious thirst.

Any ideas for that situation?

Comment

P.S. I am not diabetic!

Comment

Originally posted by estonlb View Post
                Thanks for all of your input, guys. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am a smoker. That makes controlling my fluid intake harder than usual because after every cigarette I always need something to drink to get the "after-cigarette" taste out of my mouth. That translates into several drinks of some sort of fluid every day. Add that to the fluid taken in with meals and it comes out to a lot of fluid.

I also live in Houston, TX which is very hot in the summer. Since I spend a lot of time outside in the heat because I smoke, that leads to serious thirst.

Any ideas for that situation?
                Yes. Quit smoking.

Comment

estonlb, I feel for you, but you truly need to strongly consider stop smoking. As i see you are very much aware, that your smoking leads to more drinking, and that means more fluid intake. Now you live in a very hot and humid climate and that could also add to your fluid restriction issues. I know it is easier said than done, to stop cold turkey with smoking, but if you value the precious life, that God has bestowed on you, you wll find the courage and motivation to quit this bad habit, so you won't have to be so concerned about your fluid intake, especially during the summer months. take care and all the best to you. I hope you make this important decision soon. Glo

Comment

Get rid of large glasses and then only fill your short glass half full. When buying water bottles buy the little ones.

Comment

I take only sips each time. Ilearned not to drink much when on

peritineal, I am diabetic so the brst thing for that is sugar control and just sip even with meals. atch out for hidden salt and fluids in food!
                      Measure out the day's fluid and don't exceed ited

Comment

H i, I've been on dialysis since June and the best method for reducing fluid intake that really worked for me is one that a dialysis nurse gave me. She told me to pour a really cold glass of water and fill your mouth with it and just let it sit there until it warms up and then spit it out. I do this several times a day and just stand by a sink and spit it out. It's kind of gross but it works. Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm only on my 4th week of dialysis and am having issues with fluid intake too...but what seems to work best for me is to buy the 8 oz bottles of Ice Mountain water. I freeze them and take them with me to work, the bottle lasts the whole day, is very cold, and seems to satiate my thirst. I also suck on SF hard candies.

Comment

To control my "thirst" I set out these rules for myself a) always buy water in small bottle b) dont drink directly from d bottle always use small cup and sip c) eat chewing gum with menthol and sugar free e) avoid cakes biscuits sweets and other related products g) most important DO NOT EAT SALT OR SALTY FOOD!!!!!

Comment

This takes much discipline. Pour your alotted liquid for the entire day. Then divide it between each meal.Only allow yourself to drink the fluid measured for each meal. you can either skip the salt and use herbs with salt and count soup as your overall fluid intake for the day. Suck a slice of lemon or eat hard candy.

Hope this helps a little,
                              Hoofpkr

Comment