X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epogen injection sites

My insurance company now requires the clinic give my epogen subcutaneously once per week rather than IV per treatment. The Administrator (RN) and the LPN have been giving it in my lower forearm on the inner aspect just like when you get your TB test. It's painful and I dont like it. The new RN gives it in my abdomen and tells me the forearm is NOT an acceptable place to give EPO or any other subcutaneous medicine. I have no problem with it given in my abdomen but the others refuse to give it there and only in my forearm. It hurts and leaves big knots there. Anyone else????

injection

I give myself Procrit (EPO) subcutaineous shots three times a week. I always do it in my upper thigh and it does hurt a little but not for long. When I was first given EPO shots the nurse did give them in my upper arm but never in my forearm. I would try to get the nurses to train you on how to give the shot (it isn't hard) so then you can give it anywhere you want.

Comment

The subcutaneous injections can be given anywhere that there is enough subcutaneous fat. Usually that is the abdomen, the upper arm or the thigh. I wouldn't think your forearm would have enough fat to be suitable, but I am not a nurse or dr. I would talk to your dr. about it.
      To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

When I was in-centre, I got my Epogen IV at every treatment. Since I started NxStage, I've been doing it sub q once a week. I inject it in my left upper arm with a 29 1/2 gauge needle, and I can barely feel it.

Adam
        When my emotions start to cramp, the Lord turns off my UF and gives me some saline.

Comment

I get mine in the back, fatty part of my upper arm. Can't feel it there. In the fat part of the tummy is another good spot. Never in the forearm....
          Shannon
          KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
          If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Comment

Re: Epogen injection sites

So I can ask the Facility Administrator to give me this epogen shot only once a week not every time I come to dialysis. After looking at the side effects of epogen shots I almost do not want to receive this shot at all because I do still have high blood pressure which is not all that controlled at this time, I have heart problems and I have always been anemic. Yes, I think I should just take this epogen medication only once a week.

Comment

Re: Epogen injection sites

Originally posted by Suprduper View Post
              So I can ask the Facility Administrator to give me this epogen shot only once a week not every time I come to dialysis. After looking at the side effects of epogen shots I almost do not want to receive this shot at all because I do still have high blood pressure which is not all that controlled at this time, I have heart problems and I have always been anemic. Yes, I think I should just take this epogen medication only once a week.
              I was switched to Aranesp. I am still on it even after a transplant and my blood pressure is perfect (it was high on hemo dialysis where I had to take 4 BP pills so I thought it was that but now realize it was just my health).

Is there an option to switch? The side effects I think are similar but every med reacts different to everyone and maybe it would not be so bad on your BP? I like Aranesp because I only have to take my shots once a week where as I was taken Epo 3 times a week. So that is why I thought I would mention this to you. Aranesp is longer lasting than Epo is.
              Angie
              Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
              I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
              • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
              • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
              • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

I always do it in my upper thigh and it does hurt a little but not for long. When I was first given EPO shots the nurse did give them in my upper arm but never in my forearm. Windshield Replacements

Comment