X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kidney recipe book

The Vegetarian Diet For Kidney Disease Treatment: Preserving Kidney Function With Plant Based Eating (Paperback)
    by Joan Brookhyser (Author)

This book is done by 25 years renal dietian

Re: kidney recipe book

I bought this very book a couple of weeks ago and was so very disappointed in it. There is a total of 15 recipes in it which includes everything I can't eat on Walser's diet plan for preserving kidney function. Including tofu, meat substitutes, strange things I've not heard of like Tuno? Evidently a fake tuna. I was sorry I purchased the book.

I did find another book I was quite interested in having. Written by a dietitian with a child who had PKU. She created low protein recipes for the child and had published a book making the recipes compatible for kidney patients also, listing all the nutrients in the recipes. I went to order it, found it wasn't available at Amazon.com so went the website offering it. https://www.myspecialdiet.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?p=117 The book cost $47! I thought that was too expensive. Still thinking on it. I would love to view it, but that's pretty costly, I thought. The book is: Apples to Zucchini: A Collection of Favorite
    Low Protein Recipes (2005) by Virginia Schuett and Dorothy Corry I did find a page where they had some sample recipes here: http://www.lowprodiet.org/viewSample.htm , with a few more listed on the left side of that page.

Anybody heard of or have this book? If you have, did you find it helpful/useful? $47...... boy, fighting CKD can sure get expensive, huh?
    My Writings

Comment

I found on ebay 1-6-09 Apples to Zucchini recipe book but just type in Apples to Zucchini and and a few came up there cheap to.

Comment

They had two left that were from 2005 but had bids, and some other ones from 1987 1983.

Comment

Thanks, eyeliner. I didn't think of ebay as I always use amazon for buying books. I'll check that out!
          My Writings

Comment

Just checked on ebay. At first there were 2 hits but neither was the book I was looking for. They were by different authors. But thanks again for trying to help me!
            My Writings

Comment

Why is tofu a no-no?

Welcome back Cassie!
              ~ddarling~

Comment

tofu is a no-no because it's a soy product (as in dried soybean) and because of the sodium content.
                Janice

Comment

for me, soy products = ankles like balloons.

i had tofu in a salad some time back and thought my ankles would never get back to normal. haven't had tofu since.

read labels - it a "must" for kidney disease.
                  sigpic "In order to be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid"
                  The words of an old and wise Apache Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by jackbency View Post
                    The recipes featured in this this book are not intended to be a substitute for professional guidance.Tofu is a no-no because it's a soy product and because of the sodium content.
                    Sometimes it amazes me how accurate the things spammers post are (like in this case) but this member's intent is only to post its spam link in its signature and get it to be free linkbacks in search engine rankings. Don't click on it.

(link in signature, not in post).

*reported member to moderators.
                    Angie
                    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Hello all,

Years ago I ate tofu.. and then stopped... I had also used soy milk with my granola.. in the morning.. and found out this is a no no, too. I now buy Rice Dream.. and it's just as good..

There is also a Rice bread... I went to buy it yesterday as it was advertised in the flyer, but this store didn't have it.. I bought Rice cakes instead...

Nice to meet you all and I look forward to discussing more with you..

Comment

Hi ya'll,
                        I'm new in this area of PD, it hasn't slowed me downs so far. I look forward to seeing healthy diets on this sight. After years of veggie diets now I find out most staples are not healthy for us. Jim

Comment

go to National Kidney Foundation web site they have a printable cook book that has lots of recipes with a break down of calories,protien, fats,sodium, potassium and phosphorus

Comment

does this book worth it's price ($47) ? or are they any free shared books in this community ? it is great if we can share those ideas.

Regards,
                            steve barbarich

Comment

Working...
                            X