• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbohydrate counting with chronic kidney disease

carbohydrate counting with chronic kidney disease
    http://kidney.org/atoz/content/carbc...n=CarbCounting

What is carbohydrate counting?
    Carbohydrate counting is a way for you to keep track of the amount of sugar, known as carbohydrates, that you eat. Because you have diabetes, it is important to learn about carbohydrates found in food. Keeping track of your carbohydrate intake will help you control your blood sugar levels.

What is a carbohydrate?
    A carbohydrate is a food that is turned into sugar (glucose) when you digest it. Any carbohydrate food will raise your blood sugar. Complex carbohydrates raise sugar more slowly (it takes your body longer to digest and absorb these) while simple carbohydrates or sugars can raise your sugar level more quickly.

Where are carbohydrates found?
    Carbohydrates are naturally found in many different foods.

CARBOHYDRATE
    BREAD
    ROLLS
    TORTILLA
    RICE
    PASTA
    POTATO
    CORN
    DRIED BEANS
    SODAS FRUIT
    FRUIT JUICE
    MILK
    YOGURT
    CANDY
    CAKE
    COOKIES
    ICE CREAM

NOT A CARBOHYDRATE
    BEEF
    CHICKEN
    FISH
    LAMB
    BUTTER
    MAYONNAISE
    CARROT
    CUCUMBER
    LETTUCE CHEESE
    EGGS
    PORK
    TURKEY
    MARGARINE
    OIL
    CAULIFLOWER
    GREEN BEANS
    ZUCCHINI

Read more
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Re: Carbohydrate counting with chronic kidney disease

Hi, Marina
    With your new pancreas do you still have to count carbs? do any diabetic stuff at all? Hope all is going well for you.
    Cindy
    sigpic

Comment

Hi Cindy,

I've been so blessed with this wonderful pancreas I inherited.

Although due to the diabetes (close to 30yrs) and dialysis (6½ yrs) diet restrictions I had, after transplant I really had fun with food. I indulged in sweets.... I know, not good.
      I gained 15+ lbs............... the TX center wants me to lose a few lbs because if I keep gaining I will be at risk for type 2 diabetes/

I was told to keep on eye on carbs to avoid more weight gain.
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I don't have diabetes, and probably better than half of the people with failing kidneys don't, either. How can you just blithely state that "Because you have diabetes..." when it's in fact, a minority of kidney patients who do? For the MAJORITY of us who DON'T, carbohydrates can be a good part of our diet.

Comment

Carbs in moderation are GREAT for all of us. We need carbs for energy, but...... when we over do it, we tend to gain weight. With weight gain, unfortunately, another set of problems (diabetes and HBP to name a couple ) arise.

Comment

I'm with you on the sweets, Marina! Love 'em. Whenever I see something that looks especially good I tell my husband to add it to my "deathbed list." When my end is near (!) he is supposed to gather up all those forbidden foods for me to eat when it doesn't matter any more. (I know this doesn't make sense, it's just for fun)
            Glad you are doing so well.
            Cindy
            sigpic

Comment

Marina-once again, you make unsubstantiated assumptions. I'm NOT diabetic, yet I'm in stage 4, and I can barely maintain the weight I have. When working, since I can't stop to eat every hour, I MUST eat sweets and cereal bars to maintain my energy. Perhaps this is not good for YOURSELF, but the world does not stop at your front door.

You speak unilaterally, when it's obvious that your knowledge of dietary restrictions is, at best, sophomoric, and limited to only what applies to yourself. You list a bunch of things that are "not a carbohydrate" that are completely incorrect. EVERY plant product is primarily carbohydrate, so your inclusion of cucumber, green beans, lettuce, etc. is WRONG, WRONG, and WRONG! Your knowledge on the subject is miniscule, yet you pass yourself off as some sort of expert.

People like you are dangerous. I hope nobody takes your opinions seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by dac0214
                Marina-once again, you make unsubstantiated assumptions. I'm NOT diabetic, yet I'm in stage 4, and I can barely maintain the weight I have. When working, since I can't stop to eat every hour, I MUST eat sweets and cereal bars to maintain my energy. Perhaps this is not good for YOURSELF, but the world does not stop at your front door.

You speak unilaterally, when it's obvious that your knowledge of dietary restrictions is, at best, sophomoric, and limited to only what applies to yourself. You list a bunch of things that are "not a carbohydrate" that are completely incorrect. EVERY plant product is primarily carbohydrate, so your inclusion of cucumber, green beans, lettuce, etc. is WRONG, WRONG, and WRONG! Your knowledge on the subject is miniscule, yet you pass yourself off as some sort of expert.

People like you are dangerous. I hope nobody takes your opinions seriously.
                dac0214
                Marina is an extraordinary member of this forum. Her valuable knowledge of CKD and compassion to others is remarkable. We the Davita family are fortunate to have her. She is a true blessing to us.

For everyone
                There have been some not so nice posts in the last couple of days on this site. It's fine to dissagree, but we must remain civil without personal attacks and name calling. We are here to share our experiences and offer support. Being disrespectful is rare but it does happen. We can all get riled up and it's easy to type your frustrations away. But keep in mind that "flagging" a post can result in possible membership loss if moderators find a post rude.
                May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
                Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

I have reread Marina's post several times and feel she has been mistreated , she is talking in general ,not saying everyone with kidney problems is a diabetic, My dietetition told me that things that grow in the ground have carbs but not to count some vegetables as their carb value is so poor as long as I stay within a serving I'm OK anyone with diabetes can get this information from the diabetic web site.Marina Please continue your valued support.
                  Diabetic oct 2011
                  CKD Diagnosed 2009
                  GFR range 22-33 goes up and down

Comment

Tonia You made me wonder if my posts to the guys who says he has a book that can cure ckd were rude. If i was out of line and offended anyone other than the one I posted to Im sorry. I did get angry about what he was saying again sorry if I did upset anyone!! Liz

Comment

Thank you Toni and nanbridg!!
                      I appreciate your kind words and support!

To Liz,

I don't think you were rude at all. I would not worry about the posts. I completely agree with you on those post replies to him.
                      I'm happy whatever he did worked for him, but we don't really know what was wrong with him to begin with.
                      We all know that unfortunately there's no cure for CKD, I wish there was, but at this point there isn't.

Comment

Dac0214
                        It’s true that many times I do express my opinion about things. Those opinions I express are based on experiences from my health issues. The info I share is info I have learned on my diabetic and/or dialysis journey. This is Info I have learned from my medical team.
                        I also share info I read, like this article on CARBS, That info I posted is NOT something I came up with, nor made up.
                        If you noticed, I copied and pasted it from NKF for which I also provided a link…
                        That also happens to be part of the dietary guideline used for diabetics.

EVERY plant product is primarily carbohydrate, so your inclusion of cucumber, green beans, lettuce, etc. is WRONG, WRONG, and WRONG! Your knowledge on the subject is miniscule, yet you pass yourself off as some sort of expert.
                        Most vegetables are considered carb free or very low carb, and not only allowed but preferred for diabetic diets rather than carbs.... With the exception of potatoes, and a few other starchy veggies.
                        While on a diabetic diet, cucumbers and lettuce (to give an example) were considered “free foods” meaning that the carb content was/is so minimal, there was no limit as to how much I could eat in a serving.
                        Yes that info in not only available on the NKF site, but also from dietitians.
                        I don't necessarily encourage others to change their diets without first speaking to a registered dietitian like I did several times in my over 30yrs with diabetes.

You mentioned that YOU must rely on carbs and sweets to maintain your energy. Everyone is different, while carbs and sweets do provide short acting/lasting energy, it also promotes weight gain (except for you), you must be exception to this rule.

If I mentioned I must avoid carbs and sweets, it’s not only because I think those are what are making me gain weight, it’s a proven fact that those such foods are the biggest culprits for overweight and/obese Americans. I also mentioned that My Drs told me to limit my carbs, it wasn’t a decision I made on my own.

I’m sorry if you do NOT agree with my post, you’re entitled to think and believe what you wish.
                        I do not appreciate you attacking, I have NEVER claimed to be an expert in the matter, in fact all I did was share an article I read.

I don't have diabetes, and probably better than half of the people with failing kidneys don't, either. How can you just blithely state that "Because you have diabetes..." when it's in fact, a minority of kidney patients who do? For the MAJORITY of us who DON'T, carbohydrates can be a good part of our diet.
                        I’m not sure if you’ve read statistics but, diabetes is the number one contributor to kidney failure, HBP being second.
                        http://www.medicinenet.com/diabetes_...se/article.htm Diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure, accounting for nearly 44 percent of new cases.
                        Of course, that is not to say that ALL kidney patients are diabetics.

Comment

Originally posted by liz
                          Tonia You made me wonder if my posts to the guys who says he has a book that can cure ckd were rude. If i was out of line and offended anyone other than the one I posted to Im sorry. I did get angry about what he was saying again sorry if I did upset anyone!! Liz
                          Liz, cooksey upset everyone with him claims to cure all. I sent you a private message.
                          Toni
                          May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
                          Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Diabetes is a major contributor to development of CKD, and in the early stages of CKD if you have diabetes your primary goal is to get it under control. So I applaud the idea of managing your carbohydrates. Just like with protein, you have to know what is in each type of food. Most colorful vegetables are not considered a huge source of carbohydrate, and because they contain a great deal of fiber they are usually encouraged in a diet. The carbohydrate they contain is not digestible. A meal plan for the day is best to ensure you have the tools and plan to get your needed calories but manage any needed restrictions.

Comment

Hi, I am very new here although I've been a member since 2011. I'm sure I will spend more time looking around, but possibly someone could tell me how I can even use the recipes that I see for stage 3. I am a type 2 NID and have very good control of my diabetes (5.7 Hba1c-new test coming up should give me a 5.1). I don't eat fruits (with the exception of a few berries on occasion), rice, grains, pulses, potatoes, pasta, carrots, peas or bread. A lot of the recipes I see have pasta and fruit. Could someone point me in the right direction on how to eliminate phosphorous (even though I took the challenge, I must have missed something). My potassium is at the upper limit, my gfr is 54 and creatine is 1.01. Drs. have not suggested any specific tests, just said "you have kidney disease" and when I looked at this site, it looked like it must be stage 3. It is hard to believe this was caused by diabetes, since I have been under tight control since diagnosis in 2003.

I bet you get these kind of questions frequently and sorry if I'm a bit confused. Thank you for any response
                              Last edited by waterwoman; 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment