X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• understanding the recipes

The recipes have a not on portions. If the recipe says two portions, does that mean it provides enough for two meals? Also, if the recipe is from Davits, does it automatically post all incredients to the tracking, including phosphorus?

Do the recipes feature automatically connect to a shopping list?
    What does this mean?
    Renal and renal diabetic food choices

• 1-1/2 meat
    • 2 starch
    • 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
    • 1 fat
    Last edited by Gillette80232; 12-15-2017, 01:03 PM.

I am just learning about the forums and struggling to use it

Comment

If you go to the recipes and look on the left hand side, there is a list of categories you can chose from. Click on one of those categories and it will open another window that has a list of dishes you can make from that category. If you click on one of those it gives you the portion size and the phosphorus, potassium, sodium etc. It also tells you in smaller print if it's suitable for diabetics to eat. I just looked up salad dressings just for the heck of it--basic salad dressing, and all that information was there along with the recipe. I'm thinking that what you are talking about when you say "1-1/2, 2/ 1/2, 1 is the amount of the daily recommendation for that particular item. That I'm not sure about, but it would make sense. Good luck.

Comment

I am confused about this too ... the numbers for Tuna Casserole for example are below. It gives the numbers but where can I find how much I am allowed each day? 2 meats but how many meats can I have? I can't find that anywhere. (Stage 3) Renal and renal diabetic food choices 2 meat 2 starch 1/2 vegetable, low potassium 1-1/2 fat Carbohydrate choices 2-1/2

Comment

For the original question, this site has very helpful recipes that will help with a healthy diet and if the recipe says 2 portions, that is two meals. Or that technically the analysis is based on splitting what was made into two meals - if you're a huge guy, you might be able to eat more than a child. So what you eat is based on what calories, potassium, phosphorus you can eat. In general, assume it makes two meals.

The recipes on this site do list common ingredients tracked by those in CKD. Some sites don't and I add ingredients into the site - they later come up as "my food creation" - under My Creations (under Diet Helper). There may be an app for iphones that also tracks those ingredients and a some cookbooks do, but any recipe can be calculated with all ingredients and all analysis.

For a early stage renal diet only, the most important issues are probably calories (for maintaining weight, losing or gaining), sodium (affects blood pressure which can stress kidneys), potassium (not needed as severely restricted for some stages), and phosphorus. Some people with CKD also have diabetes, which can recommend different foods because of insulin problems - two chronic health issues, two different guidelines. The numbers you list is a traditional "food exchange" equivalent value which originally was part of the diabetic diet (and others!) that followed the old Food Pyramid so 1 meat exchange is generally 4 ounces of meat. 1/2 vegetable , medium potassium is important to later stages of CKD where potassium must be restricted and refers to a Kidney Food Exchange Pyramid.

While I know what those mean, I use calories and mg counts, which this site's recipes provide, and have targets for those. This site also has a planner and tracker under the Diet Helper section where you can input amounts. If you prefer to use the Food Exchange Pyramid for CKD, do a google search, pull down the most recent copy of recommended exchanges per day, print copies, and keep track of your meals by marking off food exchanges as you eat them. If you are not comfortable with numbers and adding and ratios, exchanges is an easy way to limit your servings of the less desirable choices. But I just checked my cookbooks and most of the recipes have the analysis by numbers so it appears that method is more common (if not the easiest) and it IS much more precise than the exchanges method.

Comment

I can?t find my planner and tracker

Comment

Checkout the Diet and Nutrition section to see new features including the Food Analyzer to look up nutrients in foods. The Diet Helper was retired in July. We will continue to create new diet and nutrition resources. Since the Diet Helper meal planner and tracker is not available, you may want to try Cronometer, MyFitnessPal, EatThisMuch or other no charge planning and tracking tools available online.

Comment

Looking for this explanation long time ago!! nice
                Last edited by RDSara; 05-22-2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I use:

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

But it is weak calculating phosphorus. You need to keep you written conversion table handy. you also need to know the number of servings your recipe makes and do the divisions at the end to get what each serving has. ;

Comment

I use information on the Internet and consult with doctors I know about my prescriptions

Comment

I use:

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp too

Comment