Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mushy peas

Are mushy peas kidney friendly

Not sure if anyone's watching this thread, as it's a couple years old, but thought I'd give some kind of answer to this, as this is a traditional British dish.

Be aware that mushy peas will contain sodium bicarbonate. If you are buying pre-made, canned/tinned mushy peas, then read the label to make sure there are no phosphate/potassium additives and that it is low in salt. I don't have any on hand, but somehow I doubt that they'd be low in sodium. There are also pre-packaged dried mushy pea mixes. As always, read the label so you know what's in it. I suppose you can make your own from scratch. These are most often made with dried peas, I think, rather than fresh, so may be high in potassium and phosphate. I know some of us are supposed to avoid beans and peas due to this. I would check with your dietitian to make sure that you can safely replace part of the protein in your meal with mushy peas.

Comment

Originally posted by WanderWoman View Post
      Not sure if anyone's watching this thread, as it's a couple years old, but thought I'd give some kind of answer to this, as this is a traditional British dish.

Be aware that mushy peas will contain sodium bicarbonate. If you are buying pre-made, canned/tinned mushy peas, then read the label to make sure there are no phosphate/potassium additives and that it is low in salt. I don't have any on hand, but somehow I doubt that they'd be low in sodium. There are also pre-packaged dried mushy pea mixes. As always, read the label so you know what's in it. I suppose you can make your own from scratch. These are most often made with dried peas, I think, rather than fresh, so may be high in potassium and phosphate. I know some of us are supposed to avoid beans and peas due to this. I would check with your dietitian to make sure that you can safely replace part of the protein in your meal with mushy peas.
      Thank you for this reminder! Lockout Service Deerfield Beach

Comment