X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food for thought.

Was thinking the other night. How nice would it be if there were either mail order or local kidney friendly meal supplier. Take Davita for instance, they have a large data base of recipes. Food intake is a primary concern for anyone from stage 3 to stage 5. With so many dialysis centers distribution would not be a huge issue. Doctors would know the patients are eating properly. Every day we see some weight lose diet program on TV. Why not have a similar program for us needing some restrictions in our diets. Not everyone has an extra 4 hours a day to prepare meals even though we would like to. I could send in a weekly order to lets say the "Davita Kitchen" have it expressed to my house or even pick it up at a local distribution point. I have a feeling it could be a hit.

Opinions?
    Stage 3 (GFR 35) & Diabetes.

Re: Food for thought.

sounds like a GREAT idea! I'm all for not having to cook.
    CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
    since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
    kidney function improved after 2 years
    presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
    diabetic, not on insulin

Comment

I think it sounds very good There are so many diet companies out there now that will make your meals and deliver. Would be great to have one for us.

Comment

I think this is a great idea. I would get involved in a meal plan if it were available. dottie

Comment

Originally posted by TRB View Post
          Was thinking the other night. How nice would it be if there were either mail order or local kidney friendly meal supplier. Take Davita for instance, they have a large data base of recipes. Food intake is a primary concern for anyone from stage 3 to stage 5. With so many dialysis centers distribution would not be a huge issue. Doctors would know the patients are eating properly. Every day we see some weight lose diet program on TV. Why not have a similar program for us needing some restrictions in our diets. Not everyone has an extra 4 hours a day to prepare meals even though we would like to. I could send in a weekly order to lets say the "Davita Kitchen" have it expressed to my house or even pick it up at a local distribution point. I have a feeling it could be a hit.

Opinions?
          That would be great TRB, but speaking of meal plan, back in Oakland, CA, where i reside, In 1990, Kaiser Hosptial, would provide renal meals for purchase, they were back then, $3.00 a plate, and you would get a three course meal, a choice of meat or seafood, and of course, they also had a diabetic/renal diet plan, this went on, for about four years, because in 1994, when i attempted to order some more of the meals, they had stopped the program, and they never re started the meal program again. So, i really don't know why they stopped, but it would be great if something like this was started up again, at our local hospitals. Just wanted to share this with you, a little about what occur in the past with dialysis.
          Glo

Comment

Hi,

We recently moved here in Japan, our dietitian mentioned the same kind of service.Here this type of service is available, each meal around $6-8, and specially for renal failure patients. They also supply a special rice that has less protein ( .16 gram protein/100 gram) . We are recently using the rice only. Davita sureely can start this kind of service, would be very helpful.

Anwesha

Comment

TRB -
              You must have been hungry, or tired of trying to figure out what to eat I checked out a meal-service that is advertised here as healthy, but the sodium, protein and potassium wouldn't work for most of us.
              http://www.seattlesutton.com

Maybe an existing food company could expand into renal friendly meals... I have a difficult time getting together a lunch. How great it would be to be able to have one prepared.
              Diagnosed FSGS 1998
              Related Transplant 2004
              Unrelated Transplant 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Misela View Post
                TRB -
                You must have been hungry, or tired of trying to figure out what to eat I checked out a meal-service that is advertised here as healthy, but the sodium, protein and potassium wouldn't work for most of us.
                http://www.seattlesutton.com

Maybe an existing food company could expand into renal friendly meals... I have a difficult time getting together a lunch. How great it would be to be able to have one prepared.
                Actually I have the flu. Went to the store for some low sodium soup. Found one I thought was good and they replaced the sodium with 1000mg of potassium. I just look at our food intake as part of our care. Davita is a leader in kidney disease care. While they may not want to be in the food industry. Maybe they could arrange something with someone that could cater to our needs. Be nice if someone from Davita reads this and puts a little thought to it.

Comment

Reading all this, I wish there was a way for me to do it. Spend all day cooking for people? Awesome. I would love that!

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
                  Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
                  turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

I wonder if enough comments on this post would convince a bank that it is a good investment?

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
                    Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
                    turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

Originally posted by OkieCowgirl79 View Post
                      I wonder if enough comments on this post would convince a bank that it is a good investment?
                      More so for a company like e-diets to provide kidney friendly meals. You get a powerhouse like Davita asking them if it is possible. I think they could do it.

Comment

Hello folk great post.

Comment

God bless you
                          dentalimplants | dentalimplant | implant

Comment

Anybody ? Hello ? Any word on the food movement yet ? What a great IDEA

Comment

Well, since the last post was over 2 years ago, I'd have to say that the idea died.

Comment

Working...
                              X