X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids' Favorite Foods

If you're a parent, you know that getting your finicky kid to eat is like trying to push a bolder up a mountain of molasses. It isn't easy. A kid's menu, at best consists of about five or six things that he or she will eat. So what's a parent to do? Well, at a recent survey taken in a small US town, about 100 kids gave the answer to their five favorite foods, not counting desserts. While this survey no way dictates that all kids will answer the same, this should give you a pretty decent idea of what you're kid will eat if you're having problems getting food in his or her mouth. So without further ado, our top five kids' goods.

Coming in at number 5 was no surprise. Spaghetti and Meatballs was the overall number 5 choice. Kids seemed to like this more out of the can than home made, however. And no fancy sauces like Marinara. Just plain out tomato or meat sauce was all they needed. Plus, no grated cheese on top. And not too many meatballs. Just 3 or 4 would be enough. Serving your kid a plate of spaghetti and meatballs would be more than enough to put a smile on his or her face.

In the number 4 slot was another food that was no surprise. Hamburger on a bun was a sure winner. Again, nothing fancy as far as condiments. No onions was big on the list of yucks. Kids absolutely hate onions and don't want them anywhere near their hamburger. Just some ketchup is all they require. And the buns have to be hamburger buns. No regular hard rolls and certainly NO seeds. Also, no whole wheat buns or rolls.

The third most popular meal on the menu was the hot dog. It was interesting to see that the hot dog was more popular than the hamburger, but not by much. As for how they liked their hot dog, that varied quite a bit. Some kids liked them just with mustard. Others preferred mustard and sauerkraut. And then there was that group of kids who enjoyed their hot dogs with ketchup. Nobody seemed to like relish or anything fancy on their hot dog and NO cheese dogs. That was another big yuck.

Re: Kids' Favorite Foods

Maybe my children are just weird then. But usually a good way to get them to try a new food is just to eat it in front of them. Often they will want a bite, which usually ends in them conviscating the food in question and not leaving any evidence!

My kids are good at eating fruit and most vegetables. I think it all in how it is presented. If you make a face, or have "that tone" in your voice, it incites a feeling that they won't want to eat this food. When I see corn, I pick it out. Or I just won't eat it. Not surprising, two of the three won't touch it either!

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
    Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
    turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

Parents always care about there kids what they wear or what they eat. Kid's favorite foods are Maggi,noddles,biscuits and the things in which time is not require.

Comment

These are all great tips for getting kids to eat and great ideas for food to eat. I will try anything these days to get my 3 year old to try new foods. My problem now is that she doesn't eat much at meal times and then wants to eat later. I've been telling her that she has to finish her meal before she gets anything else to eat. It has been working a little. Now if I can only get her to eat her veggies. Do you think I should be using supplements such as krill oil?

Comment

Hey, where's the classic mac 'n ' cheese on the list? My 3 year old wants to eat that all the time!

She likes eating veggies and fruit but my problem is getting any meat, cheese or protein into her.. Sometimes she'll eat a scrambeld egg..
          TRANSPLANT SCHEDULED NOV 14, 2011 THANKS TO MY AMAZING HUSBAND!!!
          Today oct 11th.Still no dialysis -and at 9% GFR,
          think i'm gonna make it!!!

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
          Benign Glomulersclerosis- not hereditary, no known cause
          Non-diabetic, normal BP
          Hospital error 2008 caused me to plummet straight to CKD5
          07/2011 -CKD 5 -GFR 11 - Not on Dialysis
          Awaiting transplant, doing eval, hoping for live donor match

Comment

Chicago

I would let her help with her food preparation. Only little simple things that she can do with your help. Yes it will take extra time but the benefits will amaze you. You will have a 3 year old that want to eat what she helped cook. I know that this works because I did it with my granddaughter she is now 4 but she eat alot of vegetable that you would not expect a 4 year old to eat. Things like cabbage, spinach, asparagus, brocculli, brussel sprouts and oh yes the old stand by sweet potatoes, corn, mashed potatoes (they usual don't like the way they feel in the mouth) and all different types of meats.

The other thing you could do is get a book from the library on kids food art, and make age appropriate healthy food that appeals to her.

Bonnie

Diagnosis with Stage 4, GFR 16%
            Glomeruliosclerosis
            Non diabete, normal BP
            November 2007

Today and tomorrow I am blessed by
            God and His Angels

Comment

In my chilhood my favorite foods were:
              Dark chocolate,
              Fruit cake,
              banana shake,