X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just thinking of my Favorit Things

There aren't any favorite foods listed in this thread so I'm gonna take a stab at starting something.

My favorite foods that I am not allowed being non-relevant (unless you tempt me at just the right time with a bowl of ice cream), My favorite food is pretty much any solid meat (steak, pork chop, chicken) cooked on my grill. Usually I add Mrs. Dash and cook it with the lid closed and on the top shelf. Just a cheap Wal-Mart propane grill but it does the trick. I use the steak flavor on red meats, chicken flavor on chicken and pork. I also like to add the original blend and garlic and herb Mrs. Dash flavors for variety to any foods I prepare.

My favorites that I'm not supposed to eat are Tilamok Extra Sharp cheddar, Pizza, Spaghetti with red sauce, and anything sweet.

Don't know about you folks, but being a diabetic as well as ESRD means I'm technically not allowed to eat anything so I just do what I can to reduce all the unwanted pre processed foods.
    Educate yourself, it's the only way you will get complete care.
    Brenden

Re: Just thinking of my Favorit Things

Brenden:

I'm not diabetic, but do miss a lot of foods. After being on the renal diet for so long, I sort of think that even if I were to dive into what I miss, I would be disappointed. The salt content of what I'm looking at would double over a lot of people. Right now, what I miss the most is a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of tomato soup. I don't miss the pizza or the spagetti - just way too much sodium in the sauce and cheese. I also don't miss the chinese food or any fast food. I prefer Sockeye Salmon cooked on a charcoal grill, with lemon dill sauce (weight watchers recipe), a side salad and some corn on the cob.

As far as meat goes, I've cut back so much lately, that I don't even miss my steak. We get the four ounce filet mignons from Omaha Steaks. And yes, anything grilled is 100% better than anything out of a box!

Eat well, stay well.

Comment

Mmmmm..... Steak & corn on the cobb.... I know what I'm rounding up to eat for tonight!
      Educate yourself, it's the only way you will get complete care.
      Brenden

Comment

Well, since you've asked...hmmm...my favorite things:

1. Getting out on a sunny day and riding my motorcycle for miles on end.

2. Falling asleep beside my cat in the living room while watching football..he snores louder than I do!

3. Taking my bible and picking a chapter and reading it, meditating on it and then praying on it. (out on the back porch while feeding the squirrels)

4. Enjoying a glass of wine on a nice summer evening with some jazz music playing in the background and inhaling life for all it's worth. (this was before I gave up alcohol)

Just a note - I gave up alcohol for over 5 weeks now. I FEEL GREAT! I would never thought I had CKD. Keep on chugging....

Comment

Being a dialysis patient for almost two decades now, and not by choice, but that is another topic in itself, but as far as the favorite things that I use to like, and can't no longer indulge in, I truly adore cheese and dishes made with cheese, but I have researched the content of many cheeses and how much phosphorus that they contain, and I have found that mozzarello has 105 mg of ph for a 1 oz serving, brie has 53 mg in a 1 ounce serving, feta has 96 mg in a 1 oz. serving, and cream cheese has 30 mg in a 1 oz. serving, facts about phoshorus: up to 100 mg is considered low phosphorus, and 101 to 200 mg is considered in the higher phosphorus category, and 201mg or more is considered the highest category of phosphorus, there are more but too much to list on this thread. A lot of the dishes that I make like for instance, like when I make a Tuna Casserole, I use shredded mozzarello cheese, cream cheese, and a little brie and half a cup of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, that is how I keep my phosphorus intake as low as possible, but of course when I make that casserole, I limit myself to a cup and 1/2 serving, but the rest of my family can eat as much as they want, because they don't have any renal concerns. When I make a chef salad, I use about a 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarello, and feta cheese crumbled over my salad, which is 96 mg of phoshorus in a 1 ounce serving. I do share some of my recipes in my self-published book - My Renal Life - by Gloria Ann Jeff-Moore, it is online at amazon.com, barnes & nobles, borders.com, and also at the publishing company xlibris.com, - you can view an excerpt and my author bio on this site, if you are interested at your leisure. I'm not a diabetic, but I do know that complex renal diet. I have PKD, but everyone no matter what the nature of their End Stage Renal Disease, have to follow a renal diet, regardless of any other diet that they were following prior to the renal diet. So, everyone don't fret! I know this diet can be quite challenging where the renal world is concerned, but it can be done with a little determination and faith in him, and also knowledge plays a very important role in managing the disease, oh, and don't forget knowing your medication and knowing how to properly take them. All this is in my book. I have a very deep discussion about this.
          I always say to all my fellow dialysis and renal patients, Don't Let This Disease Control You, You Control The Disease, it took me over a decade to finally realize this.
          Glo

Comment

Yes my favorite is my food ........
            I am also new here and I am still in the process of learning things in this site. I just accidentally saw the site and i registered.

Comment

I miss baked beans, bananas, and beef jerky... I must have a "b" thing going on right now! Tomorrow, I'll miss a whole new letter of foods!!!
              MGN diagnosed 1985, non-diabetic,
              NxStage home hemodialysis from Feb thru July 2011,
              Live donor (Mom) transplant on 7/11/11,

Comment

Honestly some days trying to get a decent renal diet on the plate for Dave is really really hard.

Mostly the best diet would only consist of AIR!!!!!
                Vicky

Husband, Dave, IgAN end stage
                PD dialysis since March of 2009.

Comment

my absolute favorite is breakfast with fried eggs, toast, fried potatoes, gravy ....yum! but I only eat this once a month, the day I get my labs drawn, I go out to a restaurant for breakfast afterwards . it's my reward to myself for being "good" (mostly) all month
                  CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
                  since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
                  kidney function improved after 2 years
                  presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
                  diabetic, not on insulin

Comment

patty, Boy do I agree with your food choices! And I love your pic. of the kitty swimming. It gives me a good laugh. He looks just like one of my cats.

Toni
                    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
                    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Thanks Toni, yeah, the pic made me laugh too when I first saw it. it's the way I feel some days when I'm not in the mood to do dialysis....lol
                      CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
                      since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
                      kidney function improved after 2 years
                      presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
                      diabetic, not on insulin

Comment

MY favorite foods are cheese, cheEse, CHeese, oh did I say cheese already???

My fav would have to be extra charp cheddar (no particular brand).

I can't say I miss it, since I've been so good with my Phos for the last 3 months, First month I was told to hold my binders. I asked if I could eat more phos foods instead. Nurses and Dr said "sure"
                        Second month it was 3.2, I was told to continue with what I was doing.
                        Third month it was 2.5 I was told to hold binders altogether unless I over did it.
                        I have re-introduced cheese back into my "renal life" Since I've been on dialysis for 6yrs, it feels odd to eat cheese and not worry about binders. I Still only buy 1oz cheese when I crave it and depending on what else I eat at that time, I may or may night take my binders.
                        It's funny I sometimes feel like I'm cheating on my diet when I do eat cheese.
                        I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

rock, moderation is key, but that chocolate could potentiallly be a killer to renal/dialysis patients, because of the phosphorus it contains, I hope you are aware of what can happen, when you over indulge in too much high phosphoric foods, if you would like to know, I could share it with you sometime, just let me know.

Glo

Comment

FOOD is my favorite thing and it's so hard when you have to follow a diabetic diet, a heart-healthy diet and now a renal diet!!!! I think I"ll be eating iceberg lettuce with air dressing and a glass of water. The diabetic diet and heart diet by themselves were hard and now I'm learning that my favorites are off limits... things like tomatoes, broccoli, leafy greens, etc. all of which I thought were considered "healthy" until now. I know it will be a challenge but I'm willing to learn so that I may live.

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Legswilson View Post
                              FOOD is my favorite thing and it's so hard when you have to follow a diabetic diet, a heart-healthy diet and now a renal diet!!!! I think I"ll be eating iceberg lettuce with air dressing and a glass of water. The diabetic diet and heart diet by themselves were hard and now I'm learning that my favorites are off limits... things like tomatoes, broccoli, leafy greens, etc. all of which I thought were considered "healthy" until now. I know it will be a challenge but I'm willing to learn so that I may live.

Carol
                              Sure, Carol, there are a lot of challenges, but if our American culture practiced moderation, I don't think we'd have a lot of the diseases that we have. This is barring, of course, diseases that we inherit through the blood line. Nevertheless, even if we would go by the guidelines of what a serving is, we'd be a whole lot better off. Right now, I'm practicing with foods that might be off limit to me (I say "might" because it's from quarter to quarter that I know my lab work) as only consuming 3 bites of whatever. Frozen broccoli, I was told by my nephrologist, is fine. It is true that the dark green leafier veggies are more full of phosphorus and potassium, so just take a bite or two, especially if someone has prepared it for you--such as at a church dinner, or a family event.
                              Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
                              *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
                              High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
                              ~Corrie ten Boom

Comment

Working...
                              X