X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaked the Low Phosphorus Fudge recipe

I'm a newbie here, and am finding the recipes to be very helpful. I'm a T2 diabetic, and with a loony, fluctuating creatinine level, and now elevated phosphorus level (not catastrophic, but above normal), I'm finding myself cooking more- and looking for goodies that I can safely eat. My nephrologist hasn't been helpful in giving me a phosphorus limit/day. SO, as a gimpy old-school RN (now disabled), I'm doing my own research and limits.

I didn't want all of the sugar in the fudge as the recipe was written, but knew that cooking with erythritol would create crystals. So, I swapped the 1 1/2 cups of sugar for 1 Tbs of maltilol that I melted into the cream, marshmallows, and chocolate chips- once those were melted, I added 1 Tbs of butter (to help the fudge 'set'), and 1 1/2 cups of POWDERED erythritol, and a tsp of vanilla. No boiling. The flavor on the back of the spoon is good (it's still setting up). I haven't figured out the nutritional stat minus the table sugar (erythritol has zero calories). It's less sweet than table sugar, which I like- fudge can be cloyingly sweet. Worst case senario, I'll have a fudge 'dip' for graham crackers or low sodium pretzels.