Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The list of SOFT DRINKS you CAN have!....print and enjoy!

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The list of SOFT DRINKS you CAN have!....print and enjoy!

Hi,
    I was doing some food research and finally got around to emailing coca cola about nutritional info for their soft drinks.
    (I couldn't find it online...).

Well, they sent me the direct link to a printout that had all the nutritiion info, phosphates, potassium ect.

here are the links, print these out and post them on your fridge for a reminder!

So, if your dietician tells you you can't have ANY soft drinks they are wrong and have not done their research (I have seen this many times, ppl jump to conclusions w out getting facts/info).

!

Barq's Root Beer has 0 phosphorus and is a "dark" colored drink!

Coke on the other hand has 41 mg phosphorus per 240ml~

Sprite has 0
    Fanta, Mello Yello and GingerAle has 0 also

here is the link so you can see/print for yourself!

http://www2.coca-cola.com/mail/gooda..._nutrition.pdf

also link to all nutrition from the coca cola company:
    http://www2.coca-cola.com/mail/goodanswer/utility.html

Hopefully this is some good news from people on here

There are "some" Root Beers that are acceptable and others that aren't. Read the labels and look for the "phosphate/phosphoric' -type words.

In general, clear sodas like 7-up, sprite, gingerale are ok and so are some of the 'yellow' drinks like Mt. Dew, Sundrop, etc

But -- you never know when a formulation might change, so it's a good idea to read the labels. For example, the Hawaiian Punch drinks were ok for a long while, and now we are learning there is a decent amount of phosphorus in them. Same with some of the lemonades. And the worst part, is that the phosphorus additives are more readily absorbed than the phosphorus from food. This makes a great case for trying to get Phosphorus amounts added to food labels!

Great research and thanks for sharing with others.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    The response of this moderator is not an attempt to address a specific condition. Please note that the DaVita.com discussion forums do not provide medical advice or professional opinions about specific conditions. The purpose of the discussion forums is to provide an opportunity for individuals to discuss end stage renal disease and related topics. The discussion forms are not a substitute for professional medical care. For questions or

Comment

true, you should always read labels!

Hi,
      thanks for pointing that out!
      You are correct that you should always read the labels.

I know for a fact Barq's rootbeer has no phosporus and always check the label every time I buy it.

the other root beers I have seen do contain phosphorus in them.

I am really wondering why there is no "natural" cola available.
      I have seen some a while back- I think it was RW knudsen's and they made an all natural cola with no phosphates or chemicals- it did not taste like "regular" cola at all.
      It is also very hard to find in natural stores.

Comment

Help!! how do you post a new thread?

[New to site trying to figure out how to post new thread. I am a 35 yr old female and jusst recently diagnosed with kidney failure.. I am also diabetic and that is what caused my kidney's to fail How much fluid should you drink and how do you quench your thirs. I use to drink a lot of fluid before my kidney failure. Also, how do you deal with going to do dialysis? Looking into doing the home dialysis so I can do it at home. If anyone has any advice please let me know, having a hard time dealing with the huge changes!!!

Sandi

Comment

In general -- and you know everyone is different and we can't give individual specific information on the site -- but in general, the recommendation for fluid allowance is 1000 cc (about 1 quart) PLUS the urine output (referred to as "residual renal function"). So, if someone still has about 2 cups of urine output, it would be the 1 quart (4 cups), plus the two cups. Again, though, this is just the general recommendation and a physician and/or dietitian can help you more specifically.

The goal of the fluid limitation is to keep blood pressure controlled and to avoid excessive weight gains between treatments, so those are two areas that will let you know if you're doing well with the fluid allottment.

As for "tips for fluid control"... there are several. A few include:
          measure beverages (and foods that are liquid at room temp, like jello, popsicles, etc); use a small spray bottle to wet the inside of your mouth; suck on frozen grapes or blueberries or on a fresh lemon. Ask the dietitian in your unit for other suggestions. (and yes, I know, it's not the same as gulping down a big drink of water... but it does help somewhat - and you have to try hard to only drink when you're really thirsty).

Another tip for fluid control is to limit your sodium (salty food) intake -- the actual salt shaker, cured meats like ham, bacon, sausage and lunch meats; foods in a brine like pickles, olives and sauerkraut; and foods you see the salt on like crackers, chips and pretzels. Again, ask the dietitian for more information.

Fluid control is an important component of the renal diet. We hope these few tips help you meet the guidelines. Your body (heart and lungs especially) will thank you. Good luck.
          ------------------------------------------------------
          The response of this moderator is not an attempt to address a specific condition. Please note that the DaVita.com discussion forums do not provide medical advice or professional opinions about specific conditions. The purpose of the discussion forums is to provide an opportunity for individuals to discuss end stage renal disease and related topics. The discussion forms are not a substitute for professional medical care. For questions or

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for sharing the soft drink nutrition information.

Comment

Originally posted by Ottawagirl
              Hi,
              I was doing some food research and finally got around to emailing coca cola about nutritional info for their soft drinks.
              (I couldn't find it online...).

Well, they sent me the direct link to a printout that had all the nutritiion info, phosphates, potassium ect.

here are the links, print these out and post them on your fridge for a reminder!

So, if your dietician tells you you can't have ANY soft drinks they are wrong and have not done their research (I have seen this many times, ppl jump to conclusions w out getting facts/info).
              !

Coke on the other hand has 41 mg phosphorus per 240ml~

Sprite has 0
              Fanta, Mello Yello and GingerAle has 0 also

here is the link so you can see/print for yourself!

http://www2.coca-cola.com/mail/gooda..._nutrition.pdf

also link to all nutrition from the coca cola company:
              http://www2.coca-cola.com/mail/goodanswer/utility.html

Hopefully this is some good news from people on here
              Thanks so much for the links!

My husband likes Sierra Mist Free (Pepsi product). I contacted Pepsi and they said a 12 ounce serving has 99 mg potassium, but no caffeine, no phosphorus, and only 38 mg sodium. Since his blood work shows he has no problem w/ potassium he can drink some when he gets tired of the diluted Northland brand cranberry juice blends (diluted 70% juice bend and 30% water). He sometimes mixes the two over ice and says it tastes a lot like the cherry limeade he used to get from Sonic.

You and I have discussed before how inadequate the dietary advice from the medical professionals has been. This board has been a wonderful source of information -- I guess people w/o Internet access just suffer a poorer quality of life, and some probably die sooner than they should have. Just glad you are here and willing to share info!

Comment

Originally posted by Black
                the diluted Northland brand cranberry juice blends (diluted 70% juice bend and 30% water).
                Hi black,
                is your husband diabetic by any chance???? is that the reason for the diluted juice????? because Ocean Spray makes LIGHT cranberry blends. Just a thought.
                I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Originally posted by Marina
                  Hi black,
                  is your husband diabetic by any chance???? is that the reason for the diluted juice????? because Ocean Spray makes LIGHT cranberry blends. Just a thought.
                  Thanks, Marina, but no, not diabetic. Just trying to keep the potassium down -- if he's gonna have potassium he'd rather eat potatoes He has PKD, his GFR11, on lasix and bicarbonate of soda, he is not yet restricting fluids -- so it's a way to get more water in him as he really doesn't like to drink a lot of water. Plus, the Northland brand has much better numbers than the Ocean Spray.

Lorelle

Comment

Beware the phosphate in some products!

Always check and never assume!!

The bottle of Barq's has phosphate in it yet the cans do not! Interesting eh?

Mug Rootbeer has no phosphate in it. Neither does A&W rootbeer. But other brands of Rootbeer DO have it!

Also I have found that High C Orange Crush DOES have Phosphate in it!!

Originally posted by Maria
                    There are "some" Root Beers that are acceptable and others that aren't. Read the labels and look for the "phosphate/phosphoric' -type words.

In general, clear sodas like 7-up, sprite, gingerale are ok and so are some of the 'yellow' drinks like Mt. Dew, Sundrop, etc

But -- you never know when a formulation might change, so it's a good idea to read the labels. For example, the Hawaiian Punch drinks were ok for a long while, and now we are learning there is a decent amount of phosphorus in them. Same with some of the lemonades. And the worst part, is that the phosphorus additives are more readily absorbed than the phosphorus from food. This makes a great case for trying to get Phosphorus amounts added to food labels!
                    You are sooooo right!! How can we get them to realize that this should be added to the labels??
                    Angie
                    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Thanks!

The Barq's rootbeer I have seen in CANADA...not sure about the US ones has no phosphates in the 2l bottles.
                      Not sure about the other brands, I think AW has phospahates in in in Canada...

Comment

Thanks!

The Barq's rootbeer I have seen in CANADA...not sure about the US ones has no phosphates in the 2l bottles.
                        Not sure about the other brands, I think AW has phospahates in in in Canada...

Umm.. I live in Canada ... A&W do not have phosphate in the cans at least in Canada..
                        Angie
                        Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search

Comment

Potassiium content??

What about Postassium?? Any low potassium soft drinks out there??

Comment

Originally posted by still searchin'
                            What about Postassium?? Any low potassium soft drinks out there??
                            I don't think Potassium is very high in soft drinks. It is more of a problem in juice.
                            Angie

Comment

can anyone tell me if sugar free Redbull is good or bad for a transplant kidney im new to this website.

Comment

Working...
                              X