Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about sweeteners

Hello, new to the forum here. I spent two weeks in the hospital recently after being initially diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome; subsequent biopsy revealed the diagnosis to be either minimal change disease or membranous nephropathy. I'm currently on a steroid treatment; my creatine level has pretty much stabilized around 1; I'm still throwing a lot of protein in my urine.

Anyway, I'm on a low-sodium, low fat/cholesterol diet; keeping protein intake low as well. Boring diet, no legumes, whole grains, etcetera, stay away from potassium and phosphorus foods.

I'm curious about the safety of sweeteners. I don't consume too much anyway, but does anybody know about the safety of eating honey, agave syrup, and/or stevia, instead of sugar (for my farina, tea etcetera.) I would probably eat less than a teaspoon a day, on average. I know babies and toddlers are supposed to stay away from honey, because of possible botulism contamination; is that something I should be concerned with?

Thanks for any responses!

Jeremy

Re: Question about sweeteners

I'm following you around today on this site...now I know your kidney disease and I gather that your stage is not 4 or higher due to your low (although it's not a safe low) creatinine level. I applaud you for being proactive with your diet, which might really improve your GFR--perhaps next blood work you'll see your creatinine number go down.

Stevia is an old and trusted sweetner; very safe! I would suggest you buy the liquid Stevia; a bottle last around 3 months if you use it sparingly.

I don't know firsthand about Agave but I've heard it is very safe, too.
    Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
    *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
    High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
    ~Corrie ten Boom

Comment

Thanks (again), blessed. Any thoughts on honey?

Comment

A little further research on agave syrup shows that it is all fructose, akin to HFCS, which I try to stay away from. I'll stick with stevia and (minimal amounts of) table sugar; still curious about honey.

Comment

What I know about honey is all good, for adults, especially. Consuming local honey is good for combating and warding off local allergies. Honey is a natural antiseptic which is good. Like all sweetners, using it in moderation is the key. I use it to sweeten tea if I want sweetened tea. Presently, I've practiced reducing all sugar and sweets in my drinks, and am considering reducing it in my half a cup of coffee in the morning--but so far I'm in the thinking stages on that one. I figured that I've already reduced my amount of coffee to just half a cup, and so where's my consolation prize?? To reduce sugar seems cruel.

Whatever you do, Jeremy, don't get to stage 4. There's not much play room there!
          Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
          *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
          High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
          ~Corrie ten Boom

Comment

I applaud you for being proactive with your diet, which might really improve your GFR--perhaps next blood work you'll see your creatinine number go down. Concrete Company

Comment