Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acorn Squash

Why does the renal diet menus state Acron Squash is bad for us?

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2645/2
    Stage 3 (GFR 35) & Diabetes.

Re: Acorn Squash

Looks like it's high in potassium and also phosphorus.

These were my allowed choices for squash: crrokneck, scallop, and zucchini.

I was told to limit or avoid acorn, banana butternut, and hubbard squash.

Don't you just love our diet
    ~ddarling~

Comment

Looks like Hummus is also. One really needs to look at a site like I posted to determine the content of an item. Standard label does not provide enough info.

Comment

Originally posted by TRB View Post
        Looks like Hummus is also. One really needs to look at a site like I posted to determine the content of an item. Standard label does not provide enough info.
        probably because hummus is made from BEANS! lol
        unless there are some magic good for you beans somewhere?

I still plan on eating hummus and squash I do not eeat truck loads of it anyways.

I find that if you eat mainly what you want but avoid preservativs and artificial stuff your numbers are better.

white bread,t he non naturalkind and "white cakes" that dieticians tell you are ok...those are usually made w phosphorus in them.

samefor bagels, english muffins and any name brand breads almost.

I usually go to a bakery or buy frozen "bake your own" bread and it is all natural..has 3 ingredients and very cheap!

most grocery storesshould havefrozen breads...they are cheaper anyways and keep very well...

Actually do not listen too y our ddietician much.

eat hummus but insteadof having a huge serving use it as a sandwich topping...that is what the "arabic restaurants" in mycity do and it is tasty on grilled chicken pita with whatever elseyou want in it....lettuce,rice whatever.

also the grocery stores here they have a store brand of hummus and it is hummus mixed with mayonaise to make it more creamy for "north american people" I think.

it is tasty and the same as if you made a avocado dip and mixed with mayo.
        actually most mexican restaurants to be cheaper they add mayo to most dips to make them creamy.

mayo is made from eggs and oil usually.

so mix hummus with one of these= mayo, or bread crumbs, oil, rice or just eat less of it.

Comment

Get the Nutrition Counter offered (free) from the American Assn. of Kidney Patients. That's AAKP.org--it will give you mineral info for just about every food.

Janice

Comment

Originally posted by janicejanice View Post
            Get the Nutrition Counter offered (free) from the American Assn. of Kidney Patients. That's AAKP.org--it will give you mineral info for just about every food.

Janice

Is this it? http://www.aakp.org/brochures/nutrition-counter/
            Angie
            Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
            I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
            • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
            • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
            • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

I've been using, http://www.nutritiondata.com/.

I also got this response today from a dietitian.

Hi Tim. Hummus in moderation. Summer squash like crookneck or zucchini are better options, the winter squashes like acorn, hubbard, etc. should be in moderation.

Hannah RD, CSR
              kDEPT Dietitian
              Southwest Kidney Institute

Comment

Moderation is key, and that is very hard to do (at least for me) on some of the food and goodies that I really enjoy. I love nuts and my dietician said that just a handful here and there is okay, but sometimes one handful turns in to two, etc.
                ~ddarling~

Comment

Originally posted by TRB View Post
                  I've been using, http://www.nutritiondata.com/.

I also got this response today from a dietitian.

Hi Tim. Hummus in moderation. Summer squash like crookneck or zucchini are better options, the winter squashes like acorn, hubbard, etc. should be in moderation.

Hannah RD, CSR
                  kDEPT Dietitian
                  Southwest Kidney Institute
                  Wow that is great that you got a response! I love it when we get feedback!
                  Angie
                  Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                  I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                  • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                  • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                  • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Originally posted by angieskidney View Post
                    Wow that is great that you got a response! I love it when we get feedback!
                    Even got a call back from my doctor today. Said not to worry to much as most of my numbers are looking good. Even said my vitamin d was OK! So my fracture was doubtful being a bone density issue. Guess I just need to learn how to ride over the big rocks!

Comment

Angie,
                      Yes, using that link should get you to the AAKP source. They are really nice people and I think you will get a lot of guidance from the nutrition counter. I learned more from that than I did from the renal dietitian.

Good luck,
                      Janice

Comment

If the potassium level in a 125 mL portion is higher than 400 mg, it is considered a high potassium food

Comment

But some diseases of the lungs are. They then have the O2 usage problem they bring to the table. Concrete

Comment