Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Nepro?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is Nepro?

    I have seen Nepro with carb steady in many recipes. What is it and where can I find it. I ahve called health food stores , and no one know s what is is or where to find it. Just starting to get use to the diet. Help!

  • #2
    Re: What is Nepro?

    It is a nutrition supplement and typically requires a prescription. It's specifically formulated for kidney patients. Your physician's office can help with a prescription and you can find more information about its nutrition content online.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    The response of this moderator is not an attempt to address a specific condition. Please note that the DaVita.com discussion forums do not provide medical advice or professional opinions about specific conditions. The purpose of the discussion forums is to provide an opportunity for individuals to discuss end stage renal disease and related topics. The discussion forms are not a substitute for professional medical care. For questions or

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What is Nepro?

      Originally posted by JJ3 View Post
      I have seen Nepro with carb steady in many recipes. What is it and where can I find it. I ahve called health food stores , and no one know s what is is or where to find it. Just starting to get use to the diet. Help!
      Nephro is over the counter sold next to the diabetic nutritional supplements or at least that's where my local RITE-AID store has it.
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What is Nepro?

        Like Marina stated, no prescription required and camn also be ordered from Amazon, BUT be careful.... if you have kidney failure first talk to your renal dietician, very important to know how your labs are before consuming supplements.

        Originally posted by JJ3 View Post
        I have seen Nepro with carb steady in many recipes. What is it and where can I find it. I ahve called health food stores , and no one know s what is is or where to find it. Just starting to get use to the diet. Help!
        My Blog Site
        Http://www.dailyhemo.org
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What is Nepro?

          I used to get Nepro while I was in the hospital.



          Therapeutic Nutrition for People on Dialysis


          NEPRO with Carb Steady is therapeutic nutrition specifically designed to help meet the needs and altered metabolism of patients on dialysis (Stage 5 kidney disease).
          • In a study of NEPRO as supplemental nutrition, patients on dialysis had:
          1. – increased serum albumin
          2. – increased serum prealbumin
          3. – improved nutritional status (as signified by SGA)
          • "Carb Steady" carbohydrate blend contains ingredients clinically shown to help manage blood-glucose response
          Features

          • Contains only 5.9 g of sugar/8 fl oz
          • Excellent source of protein (19.1 g /8 fl oz) to replace protein lost during dialysis and to help maintain lean body mass
          • Contains NutraFlora® scFOS® to promote GI-tract health
          • Low in phosphorus, potassium, and calcium
          • High in folic acid and vitamin B6
          • 100% Natural vitamin E
          • Kosher
          • Gluten-free
          • Lactose-free
          Also here is the Store Finder Tool so you can find where to get it:

          http://abbottnutrition.com/store_loc...relocator.aspx
          Angie
          Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
          I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
          • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
          • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
          • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What is Nepro?

            Originally posted by angieskidney
            I used to get Nepro while I was in the hospital.



            Therapeutic Nutrition for People on Dialysis


            NEPRO with Carb Steady is therapeutic nutrition specifically designed to help meet the needs and altered metabolism of patients on dialysis (Stage 5 kidney disease).
            • In a study of NEPRO as supplemental nutrition, patients on dialysis had:
            1. – increased serum albumin
            2. – increased serum prealbumin
            3. – improved nutritional status (as signified by SGA)
            • "Carb Steady" carbohydrate blend contains ingredients clinically shown to help manage blood-glucose response
            Features

            • Contains only 5.9 g of sugar/8 fl oz
            • Excellent source of protein (19.1 g /8 fl oz) to replace protein lost during dialysis and to help maintain lean body mass
            • Contains NutraFlora® scFOS® to promote GI-tract health
            • Low in phosphorus, potassium, and calcium
            • High in folic acid and vitamin B6
            • 100% Natural vitamin E
            • Kosher
            • Gluten-free
            • Lactose-free
            Also here is the Store Finder Tool so you can find where to get it:

            http://abbottnutrition.com/store_loc...relocator.aspx
            If someone tried to feed me that I think I'd refuse and would rather have a ton of plain rice or cardboard even...

            I'm kinda surprized these products are supposed to be good? for diabetics,with corn syrup, sugar...more sugar...sugar! oil,artificial stuff, preservatives...sugar...,oil.

            You are probably better off buying plain protein powder and mixing that into stuff you already eat,much cheaper also.

            Seems the protein they use from t his is soy and milk based.
            You can buy plain unflavored,unsweetened soy protein from any health store for maybe $5 a pound (used to be that,not sure now),
            you can also buy plain egg protein,rice protein,beef protein powder (never tried sounds too yucky)...popular apparently though.

            I guess this product would be more convenient though.

            Here are some of the Nepro ingredients:

            Water, Corn Syrup Solids (sugar), Caseinates (Calcium, Magnesium, and Sodium), High Oleic Safflower Oil, Canola Oil, Sugar (Sucrose)(sugar-again), Maltitol Syrup(oh and again sugar), Milk Protein Isolate, Corn Maltodextrin (more sugar from corn),

            Not trying to say this product is bad or good,just that it is full of artificial stuff and sugar.
            I think wether you have kidney problems or not too many artificial things in you food can't be good.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What is Nepro?

              Have to confess, I have tried Nepro, but never liked it..... for someone on Short-Daily dialysis like myself "Boost" was my choice, tastes better. Always consult with renal dietician before taking these types of supplements.
              My Blog Site
              Http://www.dailyhemo.org
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What is Nepro?

                I thought "Boost" however was higher in Potassium?
                Angie
                Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What is Nepro?

                  Yes, like I said.... for someone doing Short-Daily ..... remember? Frequent dialysis allows eating better diet.... so that means I can consume more potassium....with Nocturnal thats even better.


                  Originally posted by angieskidney View Post
                  I thought "Boost" however was higher in Potassium?
                  My Blog Site
                  Http://www.dailyhemo.org
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What is Nepro?

                    Originally posted by Gustine View Post
                    Yes, like I said.... for someone doing Short-Daily ..... remember? Frequent dialysis allows eating better diet.... so that means I can consume more potassium....with Nocturnal thats even better.
                    Thanks for the clarification Gus!
                    Angie
                    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree with Ottawagirl I am coaching a new client with kidney disease and am horrified by the ingredients in Nepro. Maybe there is something I am missing and these kidney patients need lots of sugar in their diet? Can someone please explain why the first and main ingredients in Nepro is sugar? I am also told by the patients doctor to avoid processed foods and dairy, which, to me, seems to be the basis of Nepro.

                      Comment

                      Back to Top
                      Working...
                      X