X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jenjen76
    replied
    Re: Confused by the GFR lab results

ok so 1 more question sorry if im being annoying back in 06 i was according o the gfr calculator i was at 58% function now at 52% but i was a smoker my neph.did not tell me i had ckd or anything he did say smoking wasnt good but didnt explain it to me exactly-i quit smoking 1 month ago i smoked for 20 yrs i also drank for 10 yrs heavy on the beer doc.said in 06 that it didnt have anything to do with my kidney so i went on my mary way ...anyways i recently gave up alcohol and just wondering i deff.am going to take the proactive route with diet sodium never over 2000 mg going to a dietician on wed. and i have been going for long 1-2 hr brisk walks {IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD WHEN IM WALKING} ive read you can stay at stage 3 for 20 yrs but is it possible im 33 can i stay at stage 3 for 40 yrs?? is there a max 20 yrs at stage 3? has any1 heard of someone maintaing at say 52gfr for 30-40yrs w/proper lifestyle??please let me know ty!!

Leave a comment:

• jenjen76
    replied

is it possible with good diet excersize i can get my gfr back to a 60 % function and go back to stage 2? or some homeopathic treatment that will make me go back to 60-or better% gfr??

Leave a comment:

• jenjen76
    replied

ok i checked the gfr calculator it said my gfr is 52% but I want to know if I lose wieght like 40-50lbs can my gfr ever get better??

Leave a comment:

• annie
    replied

jenjen,

It sounds like you are not only scared, but that you are in full-on panic mode.

I think that the number one most helpful thing for you to do right now is to make another appointment with your doc or nurse practitioner and have them explain to you exactly what your diagnosis is.

Some of the information you have provided doesn't match up, and I think this may be the result of this overwhelming news for you.

Also, if there is any way you can take a friend or loved one with you to your appointment- and into the room with you- please do so. You need another person there who can also listen and take notes and ask questions.

You could live the rest of your life at 60% kidney function with almost no problems. I have had kidney disease and reduced kidney function for 25 years, but didn't feel the effects until three years ago.

So, you need to find out (among other things):

1- What is your diagnosis?

2- What is the cause of this reduced kidney function?

3- What can you do to maintain a helathy lifestyle knowing that you have reduced kidney function?

Leave a comment:

• jenjen76
    replied

ok im really confused and scared out of my mind im new to this diagnose stage 3 but i was reading that women with this that sit still to long and not excersize enough develop cardiovascular disease much faster but if your creatinine gets to like 2.0 that means dialysis i want to agressively work out like everyday 5 mile walks that was my plan i do need to lose about 50 lbs but i just read to much excersize can make your creatinine high so im super scared dont know what to do??

Leave a comment:

• Gary123
    replied

Originally posted by Gary123 View Post
    Maybe this will make you feel better, my doc says my function is 60 percent according to my 24 hour urine test. My creatinine is 1.8.
    Also your creatinine is preety low. If that went down a little I dont even think you have any type of ckd

Leave a comment:

• Tonia
    replied

jenjen, There is GFR calculator on the Davita website. It will ask you to enter creatinine, age, sex and race. If you read on, it will give you some information about the different stages. Some calculators take BUN and whether there has been kidney damage into consideration also. So even though people have the same creatinine, GFR's can be quite different. I don't know if protein plays a part in calculating how much function is there. Good question.

Toni

Leave a comment:

• Gary123
    replied

Originally posted by jenjen76 View Post
    ok my doc said im between 50 -60 % function is that what your GFR means?? and there is a big diff. between 60% and 50% he said lets just say 50 cuz i like to be pessamistic how can i figure out where im at? my protien in my urine is plus 3 right now wich is high for me but in june is was almost plus 6 wich scared me to death i dont know if theres things im doing to make the protien spillout at higher rates so im scared and my creatinine is 1.2 i saw someone say that there creatinine was 1.2 and they only had 40% i dont understand that that seems to low of function for 1.2 ??im no doc.just sayin.. is it possible that im at1.2 and my function could really be at 40% and the doc. was wrong?? idk
    Maybe this will make you feel better, my doc says my function is 60 percent according to my 24 hour urine test. My creatinine is 1.8.

Leave a comment:

• jenjen76
    replied

ok my doc said im between 50 -60 % function is that what your GFR means?? and there is a big diff. between 60% and 50% he said lets just say 50 cuz i like to be pessamistic how can i figure out where im at? my protien in my urine is plus 3 right now wich is high for me but in june is was almost plus 6 wich scared me to death i dont know if theres things im doing to make the protien spillout at higher rates so im scared and my creatinine is 1.2 i saw someone say that there creatinine was 1.2 and they only had 40% i dont understand that that seems to low of function for 1.2 ??im no doc.just sayin.. is it possible that im at1.2 and my function could really be at 40% and the doc. was wrong?? idk

Leave a comment:

• jenjen76
    replied

I am new to all this and this site but just finding out my medical standings yesterday and wanting to be very active in prolonging my life want to join a gym over the past month I started speed walking everyday for atleast an hr and me and husband decided last night to join a gym to work out 5 days a week for an hr and a half I read someone said alot of excersize causes a increase in your creatine I was just wondering is it bad then to do alt of excersizing??

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
    Thanks Tonia, The cause has to be years of High blood pressure. I was amazed that by cutting out salt my b/p is now 120/70 .I have seen a renal dietitian and really just go by the list of foods to avoid (why does ice cream have to on it? lol).
    ice cream is loaded with phosphorus,something us renal patients have to watch.

Isn't it amazing what sodium does to our bodies, if we could get manufacturers understand that, and if ofcourse consumers would do our part and stay away from it, not as many would have hypertention.

Leave a comment:

• cowgirl
    replied

Originally posted by Tonia View Post
    Hi cowgirl, It's great that your labs showed a decrease in your creatinine level. Sometimes illness or dehydration can effect these numbers. Has it been determined what caused the ckd? My opinion is that lowering your calcium intake will not raise your creatinine. This is something you need to talk to your Dr. about and I would ask him about seeing a renal dietician to get this under control. While your waiting to see him, read labels on food products. Alot of things are fortified with calcium such as OJ and cereal. But don't be overly restrictive, as you need a certain amount of calcium. I believe it's very important to get copies of your labs, but realize that your blood work will slighly fluctuate--so not to panic. I would also suggest that you make a list of questions for your Dr. and don't feel intimidated about discussing anything.

If you don't want to wait till Aug. call and talk with your Dr.s nurse as they can be extremely helpful.
    Thanks Tonia, The cause has to be years of High blood pressure. I was amazed that by cutting out salt my b/p is now 120/70 .I have seen a renal dietitian and really just go by the list of foods to avoid (why does ice cream have to on it? lol).

Leave a comment:

• Tonia
    replied
    Re: Brand new to a dx of CKD stage 3

dorth, Tell your Dr. to give you a referral to see a renal dietician. Your diet will then be customized according to your labs, weight, etc. It's too difficult for you to try and limit what your doc suggested on your own. People do progress at different rates but the right diet for you will help alot. You may be able to improve your GFR in a short time. I don't think too many people have symptoms at stage 2. Anemia is sometimes a problem at stage 3 but is easily treated. Since your not scheduled to see him for awhile, call his office and ask for the referral. Have you seen a Nephrologist at this point? If not, it might be a good time to. They are really thorough with testing and can usually determine what has caused the kidney decline and tell if there is damage to the kidneys. Also remember that you can't take any Ibuprofan (advil. motrin, etc) Use Tylenol for pain.

Stay in touch---and welcome to the forum

Toni

Leave a comment:

• dorth
    replied
    Brand new to a dx of CKD stage 3

My doc told me last week that I've gone from a stage 2 to stage 3 in 6 mo. GFR in Jan. was 61, and now it's 49. All other values are normal. He gave me info on "renal failure diet", said to limit protein, potassium, sodium and phosphorus and he'll have me repeat labs in 2 mo. I have low BP, no symptoms whatsoever that I'm aware of. Can this dx be true???

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied

I gree with Tonia, the calcium will have no effect on your creatinine.
    The reason to watch your calcium levels is because if you have too much calcium in your blood it can cause calcium deposits in your arteries.

Lower your calcium intake and try to stay out of the sun. All Vit D we need from the sun is about 15min/day.

cowgirl,
    were you more active in March? When we exercise alot, we have bigger muscle mass, the bigger the muscle mass the higher our creatinine. This is not to discourage those of you who exercise alot. But don't be too alarm if when you're exercising more your creatinine is higher because THAT IS NORMAL.

A few days before your next labs try do drink plenty of fluids (sorry coffee and alcohol are not part of this fluid intake). Dehydration will increase your creatinine and drop your GFR.

Leave a comment: