Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confused by the GFR lab results

jenjen, There is GFR calculator on the Davita website. It will ask you to enter creatinine, age, sex and race. If you read on, it will give you some information about the different stages. Some calculators take BUN and whether there has been kidney damage into consideration also. So even though people have the same creatinine, GFR's can be quite different. I don't know if protein plays a part in calculating how much function is there. Good question.

Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Originally posted by Gary123 View Post
      Maybe this will make you feel better, my doc says my function is 60 percent according to my 24 hour urine test. My creatinine is 1.8.
      Also your creatinine is preety low. If that went down a little I dont even think you have any type of ckd

Comment

ok im really confused and scared out of my mind im new to this diagnose stage 3 but i was reading that women with this that sit still to long and not excersize enough develop cardiovascular disease much faster but if your creatinine gets to like 2.0 that means dialysis i want to agressively work out like everyday 5 mile walks that was my plan i do need to lose about 50 lbs but i just read to much excersize can make your creatinine high so im super scared dont know what to do??
        ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

jenjen,

It sounds like you are not only scared, but that you are in full-on panic mode.

I think that the number one most helpful thing for you to do right now is to make another appointment with your doc or nurse practitioner and have them explain to you exactly what your diagnosis is.

Some of the information you have provided doesn't match up, and I think this may be the result of this overwhelming news for you.

Also, if there is any way you can take a friend or loved one with you to your appointment- and into the room with you- please do so. You need another person there who can also listen and take notes and ask questions.

You could live the rest of your life at 60% kidney function with almost no problems. I have had kidney disease and reduced kidney function for 25 years, but didn't feel the effects until three years ago.

So, you need to find out (among other things):

1- What is your diagnosis?

2- What is the cause of this reduced kidney function?

3- What can you do to maintain a helathy lifestyle knowing that you have reduced kidney function?
          Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
          PD March 2009-present
          On Transplant List
          Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

Comment

ok i checked the gfr calculator it said my gfr is 52% but I want to know if I lose wieght like 40-50lbs can my gfr ever get better??

Comment

is it possible with good diet excersize i can get my gfr back to a 60 % function and go back to stage 2? or some homeopathic treatment that will make me go back to 60-or better% gfr??

Comment

ok so 1 more question sorry if im being annoying back in 06 i was according o the gfr calculator i was at 58% function now at 52% but i was a smoker my neph.did not tell me i had ckd or anything he did say smoking wasnt good but didnt explain it to me exactly-i quit smoking 1 month ago i smoked for 20 yrs i also drank for 10 yrs heavy on the beer doc.said in 06 that it didnt have anything to do with my kidney so i went on my mary way ...anyways i recently gave up alcohol and just wondering i deff.am going to take the proactive route with diet sodium never over 2000 mg going to a dietician on wed. and i have been going for long 1-2 hr brisk walks {IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD WHEN IM WALKING} ive read you can stay at stage 3 for 20 yrs but is it possible im 33 can i stay at stage 3 for 40 yrs?? is there a max 20 yrs at stage 3? has any1 heard of someone maintaing at say 52gfr for 30-40yrs w/proper lifestyle??please let me know ty!!

Comment