X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonia
    replied
    Re: Confused by the GFR lab results

Hi cowgirl, It's great that your labs showed a decrease in your creatinine level. Sometimes illness or dehydration can effect these numbers. Has it been determined what caused the ckd? My opinion is that lowering your calcium intake will not raise your creatinine. This is something you need to talk to your Dr. about and I would ask him about seeing a renal dietician to get this under control. While your waiting to see him, read labels on food products. Alot of things are fortified with calcium such as OJ and cereal. But don't be overly restrictive, as you need a certain amount of calcium. I believe it's very important to get copies of your labs, but realize that your blood work will slighly fluctuate--so not to panic. I would also suggest that you make a list of questions for your Dr. and don't feel intimidated about discussing anything.

If you don't want to wait till Aug. call and talk with your Dr.s nurse as they can be extremely helpful.

Leave a comment:

• COPPERTOP
    replied

Cowgirl,

I would suggest a proactive diet and approach. My internal medicine physician did not suggest any diet changes or methods to prolong kidney function until after I was referred to a Neph. Too late ...went from 1.7 to 3.4 creatine and a GFR of 20 within a year. I truly wish a more proactive approach could have been taken. Within three months of using the Davita Diet Helper with levels recommended by the kideny nurtionalist, my blood pressure in now low 115/63 and have lost 50 + pounds. Unfortunately did not have anyone willing to put the truth on the table for years of high blood pressure and excess weight. Preserve what you have for kidney function....the alternatives are not a pleasant picture.

Leave a comment:

• cowgirl
    replied

I am new to this CKD. First labs showed GFR as 39 and creatinine at 1.47. This was in March of 2010. Now in July of 10 my GFR os 57 and my cretinine is 1.20. My Doctor (neph) was pleased but when asked why I was confused with the answer. I have too much calcium hypercalcium and hyperthyroidism . I did change my diet, no salt, no cokes, no nuts, no peanut butter etc and work out 3 days a week .Could this make that much of a difference? And how does hyperthyroidism play into this?

Leave a comment:

• Tonia
    replied

Hi Debbie, I sent you a note in PM.
    Toni

Leave a comment:

• hisfaithful1
    replied

So Toni do you follow any certain diet, or do anything else for your KCD ? I'd really like to know from you because your in stage 3 as I am. I was also wondering how often you get tested ? I am wondering if I should ask my Doctor to do a kidney scan to see if anything shows up. I have had off and on pain in the kidney area of my lower left back for over a year now. I did have an MRI recently but have no idea if that would show anything going on with the kidneys or not. It did show a couple bulged disks, but I know this pain is not from them.

Thanks for the encouragement, it really does help. Prayer helps too. He does not promise to keep us from trials, but He does promise to see us through them.

Blessings,
    Debbie

Leave a comment:

• Tonia
    replied

Hi again, The GFR calculators differ somewhat. Some use more info. besides age, sex, race & creatinine. The calculator my doc uses also includes weight, BUN, and kidney damage. The good thing about your creatinine numbers is that they are all low. Mine is 1.2 -- GFR 49, which was determined by all info. stated. My Dr. said I can stay at stage 3 for 20 yrs. I use to worry all the time. And even though I prayed alot, I still worried. I have finally learned to let go and accept that all I can do is do my best to stay healthy by controlling bp and follow other advice.

I hope you can talk to your Dr. about your concerns. Being retested often will give you more security.

Take care, Toni

Leave a comment:

• hisfaithful1
    replied

Thank you Toni and Glo for responding. It's only been about 2 months since my doctor told me that a blood test showed a GFR of 54. And yes, I did get copies of all my lab work, which showed it to be 50, creatinine 1.1 I do not know the why of the discrepency of the numbers. She, my doc. said to do the 24 hr. urine collection, and more blood work which showed the big jump to 74 GFR, serum creatinine, 1.2 She thinks I have this because I have taken alot of over the counter meds for back pain for many years. Anyway she said we will check things in June. In the meantime a free kidney test was offered by the NKF so I did that and the results were GFR 57, creatinine 1.01 So I really do not know if I need to be concerned or not ? And she never said anything about an ultrasound. I just really do not know what to think !! What ever happens I know Gods in control.

Leave a comment:

• Tonia
    replied

hisfaithful 1, Good morning. I agree, don't know why there would be a 20 pt.difference in the GFR. Did you get a copy of the labs? I know creatinine jumps around a little ( as Angie said ) but I would question the Dr. My Dr. stresses to be well hydrated before the test. When I was first diagnosed, it was after an illness. Soon after I saw a Neph. who did 2 ultrasounds and determined my kidneys showed some damage therefore the lost function will not come back. I have read that some people in stage 2 or early stage 3 may regain normal function if the problem causing it is solved. Have you had an ultrasound?

Others may be more of help to you but I would talk to your Dr. about your concerns.

Take care, Toni

Leave a comment:

• jeffmoore
    replied

Hi ifathful, I wasn't fortunate enough to be monitored for the progression of CKD by the creation of the GFR, to help in monitoring the progression of CKD, but it is a Godsend creation, which in 1990, I was only told when I had developed End Stage Renal Disease (Stage 5). GFR can bounce back and forth, and it does depend on the preventive measures that the patient is following, and most importantly if they are following a proper diet and/or meds properly. The way you eat, your activiities, and in some cases how much you consume in fluid, could be a factor in the advance stages. Say for example, b/p can change throughout the day, as well as the creatinine, (jumping high and low, and vice a versa). As follows, the GFR Rate in CKD Stages

Stage 1 - 90% - Function - Diagnosed and take preventive measures early on, to try to reverse the cause of decreased kidney function. - 130

Stage 2 - 60-89% - kidney function - try to stem the progression of chronic kidney disease

Stage 3 - 30-59% - kidney function - to prolong this stage for as long as possible - 60

Stage 4 - 15-29% - kidney function - Explore dialysis/transplantation - 30

Stage 5 - Less than 15% - Dialysis/Transplant is required for continued survival - 15-0

By the way ifathful, what is the nature of your development of chronic kidney disease, because this also plays a factor in your GFR progress.

I hope this helps. I have followed my sister through the years of her progression of CKD.

Glo

Leave a comment:

• hisfaithful1
    replied

Thanks for the reply, I just don't understand why there would be that big of a difference? I guess I have to try to be patient and see what happens over time. My doctor even told me she thought this can be reversed. I really do not know what to think. This forum is a Godsend. Just reading on here is so helpful. Blessings to you Angie

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied

Originally posted by hisfaithful1 View Post
    I'm wondering what you guys think of this. I'll try to keep it short. My doctor said I have CKD stage 3, with GFR of 54, ( but when I got a copy of the lab results it said 50?) Anyway a 24 hour urine sample showed my GFR to be 74. Then the American Kidney Foundation were giving free kidney tests only 2 weeks later and I just got those reults which said my GFR was 57. So I guess my question is which one is right? I am confused to say the least, and do not know much at all about CKD, so if anyone can help I would be most grateful. I'm not even sure if its ok to post this here, but I don't know how to start a new one?
    It is important to chart out the progression and not just go by one lab result. Creatinine jumps around so therefor so does GFR. It is effected by how much you drink (if you have kidneys that are working then you drink to flush out the toxins of your body and your Creatinine goes lower. You are dehydrated and Creatinine goes higher.) but if you are on dialysis then it depends on how well dialysis is clearing out the toxins of the body.

Also exercising (if you do a LOT of it) will increase Creatinine.

A doctor can explain this better. Also lab results will different a bit between different testers but should be still around the same.

Mine bounces around 23 and 27 GFR currently (I have an "extended criteria" transplant).

Leave a comment:

• hisfaithful1
    replied

I'm wondering what you guys think of this. I'll try to keep it short. My doctor said I have CKD stage 3, with GFR of 54, ( but when I got a copy of the lab results it said 50?) Anyway a 24 hour urine sample showed my GFR to be 74. Then the American Kidney Foundation were giving free kidney tests only 2 weeks later and I just got those reults which said my GFR was 57. So I guess my question is which one is right? I am confused to say the least, and do not know much at all about CKD, so if anyone can help I would be most grateful. I'm not even sure if its ok to post this here, but I don't know how to start a new one?

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied

Originally posted by Tonia View Post
    Alll the calculators have a GFR for African Americans and a GFR for other races. I have often wondered why. It would be nice to hear from anyone who can answer that.
    Toni
    Yeah as Gary said some races have a higher occurrence of kidney disease than others which directly effects the GFR. He explained it better than me however but I just wanted to make sure you knew why it was important for the GFR calculators to ask for race.

Test it out by putting in a different race and you will see you get a different result.

Leave a comment:

• Gary123
    replied

Alll the calculators have a GFR for African Americans and a GFR for other races. I have often wondered why. It would be nice to hear from anyone who can answer that.

I agree with you about the diet. I'm at stage 3 and would like to be more proactive with a diet. My Neph. says to limit salt and eat a low fat sensible diet. He does not refer paients to a dietician till they reach stage 4. I don't feel that it is healthy to venture into a renal diet without knowing different blood levels. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Gary-- I think aataa71's GFR is correct. My creatinine is 1.2 and my GFR is 49. Some calculators factor in weight, BUN, and whether theres damage to the kidneys or not.

Toni

The MDRD study equation includes a term for the African American race to account for the
    fact that African Americans have a higher GFR than Caucasians (and other races included in the
    MDRD Study) at the same level of serum creatinine. This is due to higher average muscle mass
    and creatinine generation rate in African Americans. Clinical laboratories may not collect data
    on race and therefore may report GFR estimates using the equation for Caucasians. For African
    Americans, multiply the GFR estimate for Caucasians by 1.21. cited below

http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kls/pdf/faq_gfr.pdf[/I][/B][/B]

Leave a comment:

• Gary123
    replied

I agree with you about the diet. I'm at stage 3 and would like to be more proactive with a diet. My Neph. says to limit salt and eat a low fat sensible diet. He does not refer paients to a dietician till they reach stage 4. I don't feel that it is healthy to venture into a renal diet without knowing different blood levels. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Gary-- I think aataa71's GFR is correct. My creatinine is 1.2 and my GFR is 49. Some calculators factor in weight, BUN, and whether theres damage to the kidneys or not.

Toni
    Try this calculator, it asks for more info--http://www.medcalc.com/gfr.html.

Leave a comment: