Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confused by the GFR lab results

Thank you Toni and Glo for responding. It's only been about 2 months since my doctor told me that a blood test showed a GFR of 54. And yes, I did get copies of all my lab work, which showed it to be 50, creatinine 1.1 I do not know the why of the discrepency of the numbers. She, my doc. said to do the 24 hr. urine collection, and more blood work which showed the big jump to 74 GFR, serum creatinine, 1.2 She thinks I have this because I have taken alot of over the counter meds for back pain for many years. Anyway she said we will check things in June. In the meantime a free kidney test was offered by the NKF so I did that and the results were GFR 57, creatinine 1.01 So I really do not know if I need to be concerned or not ? And she never said anything about an ultrasound. I just really do not know what to think !! What ever happens I know Gods in control.

Comment

Hi again, The GFR calculators differ somewhat. Some use more info. besides age, sex, race & creatinine. The calculator my doc uses also includes weight, BUN, and kidney damage. The good thing about your creatinine numbers is that they are all low. Mine is 1.2 -- GFR 49, which was determined by all info. stated. My Dr. said I can stay at stage 3 for 20 yrs. I use to worry all the time. And even though I prayed alot, I still worried. I have finally learned to let go and accept that all I can do is do my best to stay healthy by controlling bp and follow other advice.

I hope you can talk to your Dr. about your concerns. Being retested often will give you more security.

Take care, Toni
      May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
      Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

So Toni do you follow any certain diet, or do anything else for your KCD ? I'd really like to know from you because your in stage 3 as I am. I was also wondering how often you get tested ? I am wondering if I should ask my Doctor to do a kidney scan to see if anything shows up. I have had off and on pain in the kidney area of my lower left back for over a year now. I did have an MRI recently but have no idea if that would show anything going on with the kidneys or not. It did show a couple bulged disks, but I know this pain is not from them.

Thanks for the encouragement, it really does help. Prayer helps too. He does not promise to keep us from trials, but He does promise to see us through them.

Blessings,
        Debbie

Comment

Hi Debbie, I sent you a note in PM.
          Toni

Comment

I am new to this CKD. First labs showed GFR as 39 and creatinine at 1.47. This was in March of 2010. Now in July of 10 my GFR os 57 and my cretinine is 1.20. My Doctor (neph) was pleased but when asked why I was confused with the answer. I have too much calcium hypercalcium and hyperthyroidism . I did change my diet, no salt, no cokes, no nuts, no peanut butter etc and work out 3 days a week .Could this make that much of a difference? And how does hyperthyroidism play into this?

Comment

Cowgirl,

I would suggest a proactive diet and approach. My internal medicine physician did not suggest any diet changes or methods to prolong kidney function until after I was referred to a Neph. Too late ...went from 1.7 to 3.4 creatine and a GFR of 20 within a year. I truly wish a more proactive approach could have been taken. Within three months of using the Davita Diet Helper with levels recommended by the kideny nurtionalist, my blood pressure in now low 115/63 and have lost 50 + pounds. Unfortunately did not have anyone willing to put the truth on the table for years of high blood pressure and excess weight. Preserve what you have for kidney function....the alternatives are not a pleasant picture.

Comment

Hi cowgirl, It's great that your labs showed a decrease in your creatinine level. Sometimes illness or dehydration can effect these numbers. Has it been determined what caused the ckd? My opinion is that lowering your calcium intake will not raise your creatinine. This is something you need to talk to your Dr. about and I would ask him about seeing a renal dietician to get this under control. While your waiting to see him, read labels on food products. Alot of things are fortified with calcium such as OJ and cereal. But don't be overly restrictive, as you need a certain amount of calcium. I believe it's very important to get copies of your labs, but realize that your blood work will slighly fluctuate--so not to panic. I would also suggest that you make a list of questions for your Dr. and don't feel intimidated about discussing anything.

If you don't want to wait till Aug. call and talk with your Dr.s nurse as they can be extremely helpful.

Comment

I gree with Tonia, the calcium will have no effect on your creatinine.
                  The reason to watch your calcium levels is because if you have too much calcium in your blood it can cause calcium deposits in your arteries.

Lower your calcium intake and try to stay out of the sun. All Vit D we need from the sun is about 15min/day.

cowgirl,
                  were you more active in March? When we exercise alot, we have bigger muscle mass, the bigger the muscle mass the higher our creatinine. This is not to discourage those of you who exercise alot. But don't be too alarm if when you're exercising more your creatinine is higher because THAT IS NORMAL.

A few days before your next labs try do drink plenty of fluids (sorry coffee and alcohol are not part of this fluid intake). Dehydration will increase your creatinine and drop your GFR.
                  I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Brand new to a dx of CKD stage 3

My doc told me last week that I've gone from a stage 2 to stage 3 in 6 mo. GFR in Jan. was 61, and now it's 49. All other values are normal. He gave me info on "renal failure diet", said to limit protein, potassium, sodium and phosphorus and he'll have me repeat labs in 2 mo. I have low BP, no symptoms whatsoever that I'm aware of. Can this dx be true???

Comment

Re: Brand new to a dx of CKD stage 3

dorth, Tell your Dr. to give you a referral to see a renal dietician. Your diet will then be customized according to your labs, weight, etc. It's too difficult for you to try and limit what your doc suggested on your own. People do progress at different rates but the right diet for you will help alot. You may be able to improve your GFR in a short time. I don't think too many people have symptoms at stage 2. Anemia is sometimes a problem at stage 3 but is easily treated. Since your not scheduled to see him for awhile, call his office and ask for the referral. Have you seen a Nephrologist at this point? If not, it might be a good time to. They are really thorough with testing and can usually determine what has caused the kidney decline and tell if there is damage to the kidneys. Also remember that you can't take any Ibuprofan (advil. motrin, etc) Use Tylenol for pain.

Stay in touch---and welcome to the forum

Toni

Comment

Originally posted by Tonia View Post
                        Hi cowgirl, It's great that your labs showed a decrease in your creatinine level. Sometimes illness or dehydration can effect these numbers. Has it been determined what caused the ckd? My opinion is that lowering your calcium intake will not raise your creatinine. This is something you need to talk to your Dr. about and I would ask him about seeing a renal dietician to get this under control. While your waiting to see him, read labels on food products. Alot of things are fortified with calcium such as OJ and cereal. But don't be overly restrictive, as you need a certain amount of calcium. I believe it's very important to get copies of your labs, but realize that your blood work will slighly fluctuate--so not to panic. I would also suggest that you make a list of questions for your Dr. and don't feel intimidated about discussing anything.

If you don't want to wait till Aug. call and talk with your Dr.s nurse as they can be extremely helpful.
                        Thanks Tonia, The cause has to be years of High blood pressure. I was amazed that by cutting out salt my b/p is now 120/70 .I have seen a renal dietitian and really just go by the list of foods to avoid (why does ice cream have to on it? lol).

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
                          Thanks Tonia, The cause has to be years of High blood pressure. I was amazed that by cutting out salt my b/p is now 120/70 .I have seen a renal dietitian and really just go by the list of foods to avoid (why does ice cream have to on it? lol).
                          ice cream is loaded with phosphorus,something us renal patients have to watch.

Isn't it amazing what sodium does to our bodies, if we could get manufacturers understand that, and if ofcourse consumers would do our part and stay away from it, not as many would have hypertention.
                          I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I am new to all this and this site but just finding out my medical standings yesterday and wanting to be very active in prolonging my life want to join a gym over the past month I started speed walking everyday for atleast an hr and me and husband decided last night to join a gym to work out 5 days a week for an hr and a half I read someone said alot of excersize causes a increase in your creatine I was just wondering is it bad then to do alt of excersizing??
                            ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

ok my doc said im between 50 -60 % function is that what your GFR means?? and there is a big diff. between 60% and 50% he said lets just say 50 cuz i like to be pessamistic how can i figure out where im at? my protien in my urine is plus 3 right now wich is high for me but in june is was almost plus 6 wich scared me to death i dont know if theres things im doing to make the protien spillout at higher rates so im scared and my creatinine is 1.2 i saw someone say that there creatinine was 1.2 and they only had 40% i dont understand that that seems to low of function for 1.2 ??im no doc.just sayin.. is it possible that im at1.2 and my function could really be at 40% and the doc. was wrong?? idk
                              ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

Originally posted by jenjen76 View Post
                                ok my doc said im between 50 -60 % function is that what your GFR means?? and there is a big diff. between 60% and 50% he said lets just say 50 cuz i like to be pessamistic how can i figure out where im at? my protien in my urine is plus 3 right now wich is high for me but in june is was almost plus 6 wich scared me to death i dont know if theres things im doing to make the protien spillout at higher rates so im scared and my creatinine is 1.2 i saw someone say that there creatinine was 1.2 and they only had 40% i dont understand that that seems to low of function for 1.2 ??im no doc.just sayin.. is it possible that im at1.2 and my function could really be at 40% and the doc. was wrong?? idk
                                Maybe this will make you feel better, my doc says my function is 60 percent according to my 24 hour urine test. My creatinine is 1.8.

Comment