Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodybuilding??!

I would love to try bodybuilding, not to the extreme of course but certainly be a bit more focussed on diet and exercise with regards to increasing muscle.

But I'm so confused firstly about diet - being on PD, should I be on high protein? Fruit and veg and potassium/phosphates, just everything is very confusing!

And also weights - on PD you're obviously advised to avoid heavy lifting...

Anyone got any advice on this?

If you don't eat a decent amount of protein you wont see muscle increase. You can get more defined and eat away at the fat. Obviously refer to your bi-weekly blood draw and make sure youre staying within the recommended range.

As for lifting, I lifted hard when I was on PD. Obviously drain out completely before going to the gym, but other than that you should be fine.
    Diagnosed with IGA Nephropathy in May 2010 at 23% function.
    Currently at ~11% function, catheter implanted, training for PD, pre planning stages of transplant
    Preparing for the big comeback

Comment

Yes you need some high protein, Nuts, eggs, milk, meat are great source of proteins

Comment

Proper diet with good amount of protein and carbohydrates.
        It is also very important to lift weights properly in gym.

Comment

Do NOT take any body-bulding supplements without asking your nephrologist first. Many of them will screw-up your blood values.

Comment

Go natural man, do not take body building supplements, do your daily and make
            a good diet plan and then stick to it.
            Last edited by Sara; 06-23-2014, 12:01 PM. Reason: link removed

Comment

Qusestion

Originally posted by proboner View Post
              If you don't eat a decent amount of protein you wont see muscle increase. You can get more defined and eat away at the fat. Obviously refer to your bi-weekly blood draw and make sure youre staying within the recommended range.

As for lifting, I lifted hard when I was on PD. Obviously drain out completely before going to the gym, but other than that you should be fine.
              Were you allow to use free weights or did you use machine weights?

Comment

Proper diet with good amount of protein and carbohydrates. concrete wall

Comment

I would be afraid to seriously engage in bodybuilding in such a situation. First you need to establish a diet and smoothly introduce physical activity into your daily routine, for example, you can ride a bike (like this), walk with your family - something like that. If your condition improves, then you can draw up an exercise plan with the doctor and coach

Comment

Epo raises your blood pressure. When I was seeing a hematologist for Epo shots prior to dialysis, they would not give me a dose if my bp was way high. garage service

Comment