Page Title Module
Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need perspective

I really some advice and perspective. My husband has igan, stage 4 cdk and is being monitored monthly by his neph. Stats are in my signature. He wants to take a business trip this month to New York, we live in California. He does not think he needs to run this by his Neph. I think anyone being monitored by a Neph should call just to make sure they are safe for travel. His last lab work showed he took a big hit to grf (28 down to 23 in one month) and creatinine up to 3.3 from 2.7. I dont know what to do, am I over-reacting by instisting he check with his neph? I feel I am always so worried about him and he seems to be in denial. But maybe I am over-reacting as a caretaker? I am sure travel is safe but I just want him to be prepared. So my question is, should I demand he call and check with his neph or should I let this go? Please help, this is making me crazy!
    husband diagnosed with igaN, May 2011, Stage 4
    BP meds and fish oil x15
    Currently being monitored monthly

Re: I need perspective

As a crazy caretaker myself, i would probably feel like you and I would ask that as a courtesy he just let the neph know he is traveling, however in your case I am the outsider looking in and I bet he would be okay traveling. I would still call the neph just to let him know that he wants to take a trip out of state. They will probably just advise him not to forget his meds, blah blah.

Welcome to the world of the crazy caretakers. I probably drive my boyfriend nuts, I don't care. He's still alive. LOL
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Comment

I am on dialysis and when I go out of town, I call my nephrologist nurse and tell her where I am going and she finds someone who can answer freseneus equipment questions and problems and a hospital that is trained on that equipment in the area that I am going to. That way if something happens while I am visiting then my nephrologist knows where I am and that I am getting the treatment that I need. The only hospital in my town does not do PD dialysis and so if I get sick I have to drive about and hour to a different town to get treatment. She also gives me information that the hospital would need to know about my treatment so I don't miss anything. It is pretty neat. I hope all nephrologists offices are that way. I hope that you have a great and uneventful trip.

Patty
      Patty Lewis
      Stage 5 CKD
      PD Dialysis since Dec 2009
      On transplant list July 15, 2011
      patty.lewis 19@ yahoo.com

Comment

My nephrologist has never told me to tell him when I leave town on a big trip, or any other kind of trip for that matter. The only instruction was to contact him if I had to have surgery of any kind to make sure non inflammatory meds are used for pain. Kidney numbers can jump around all the time, and most often it's because of dehydration at the time of labs. That's not so unusual. Since your husband will see his neph again in a month, there should be no problem. Whenever your husband goes on a trip, he should carry with him information about his kidney function. But, it's like my nephrologist told me, "If you have a life threatening event, it's best that the threatening part is taken care of. There's always dialysis if something happens to the kidneys, but there's not always a second chance on the heart or some other major organ or vascular system." So, good wife and caregiver, try and relax; you already have so much on you right now. Your husband should be fine, and remember to just carry through with his diet. Just encourage him to do so, and leave it be. And, maybe you can get a little rest for a few days. Take care, IAB
        Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
        *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
        High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
        ~Corrie ten Boom

Comment

I would say that he probably should let his neph know, although it's probably not the end of the world if he doesn't. My advice to you: pick your battles girlfriend

Comment

Thanks so much for all your input. I actually left some info out. The reason I am worried sick over this trip is he wants to take our young daughters along with him for summer vacation. The thought of something happening not only to him, but to them (you can imagine all the 'situations' I can create in my head) was making me sick. I think we found a solution. He will have his father join him on the trip, as he lives on the east coast, so he can spend time with his grandkids and keep an eye on my husband and encourage him to eat healthy while traveling. He will also have more lab work coming in before he leaves so I can double check that just to make sure he is stable. The problem with igaN, from what I read, it is can be mild or very agressive. From the way his last labs looked I just want to make sure his igaN is not agressive .That is why he is being monitored...we just dont know yet! I really hate all this anxiety but there are just so many unknowns. I never knew how easy we had it when health was not on the forefront of minds everyday! I do feel a little better though... thanks again for everyones great advice.

Happy 4th
            husband diagnosed with igaN, May 2011, Stage 4
            BP meds and fish oil x15
            Currently being monitored monthly

Comment

There's always dialysis if something happens to the kidneys, but there's not always a second chance on the heart or some other major organ or vascular system. Carpet Cleaning

Comment