Subscribe to this Thread…
    chuckswife

dialysis,drug & alcohol abuse, frustrated caregiver

My husband is on dialysis as a result of kidney failure due to years of drug and alcohol abuse. He has recently been to the kidney transplant clinic to start the process in getting on the list. He continues to abuse drugs and alcohol. Last night he came home drunk and had a crack pipe in his pocket. Does anyone know of any rehab centers for dialysis patients? If I can't get him into rehab, I will tell his doctors to take him off the transplant list.I don't think someone who continues to be an abuser deserves to have a new kidney.

Frustrated Caregiver

I wish I could help and point you in the right direction for treatment but have never encountered a person who wanted a transplant and still abused drugs and alcohol. I have met people through dialysis who have and continue to abuse but have decided not to seek help and don't want to be on a transplant list because that would mean an end to what they consider fun. The hospital I chose requires that you be compliant to treatments and treatment plans to even be considered for a transplant. Their thoughts are that if you abuse life now you will abuse the transplant that someone could use and take care of it. When you think about that it does make sense. Do you have any kids? I live for my family and because of my transplant will rejoice at the birth of my granddaughter in Sept. Hopefully, I will enjoy many, many years of watching her grow. Probably nothing will improve until he realizes that the decision to live or die is his. I personally chose life and am doing everything in my power to make my transplant work. My assumption is that he is quite young and while dialysis will continue to keep him alive, a transplant will give him a new life. A transplant does come with things that need to be done and not done haphazzardly. Possibly some counselling is in order and I usually suggest consulting the unit social worker or his nephrologist for a referral. Life has so much to offer and I never understand why a person would intentionally choose the possibility of death with so much to look forward to. You both will be in prayers and please, if you ever wish to vent, feel free to contact me. I also use yahoo messenger as well as aim messenger. Would love to hear from you.
    "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
    Linda
    Tx: 7/28/2005
    St. Louis University Hospital

sallyd

alcohol, drug abuse/kidney transplant

I am sorry to read the problem your husband has with his health and behavior. It seems to me he doesn't realize the severity of his situation. I have been around a wonderful program for years and I suggest you check into it for yourself. (AlaNon for you) His usage is perilous enough and then to be complicated with kidney failure makes it a severe situation. A rehab works on those willing to accept and work the program. Should he go into it I don't see why dialysis could not be included. I would hope he comes to a sober thought in time. As for your own support system, please consider a group who understands the disease of addiction. Your life needs to continue in ways that you can survive whatever time will bring and having support during your own very difficult situation will give you comfort and strength. Blessings to you, my dear. I pray he will come to understand the reality of his life and start to make good choices.

How did he even get on the list with the past that he has and still currently abusing?? I am 19, and have experimented with pot only, and was turned down bc of it, even though I haven't done it in over a year. I passed every drug test they gave me, yet they still turned me down. I don't understand.
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

turned down

Shay, I dont think its the pot use per sey, but the 'experimental' attitude you had. LEGALLY, they cant turn you down for it because every day is an experimentation of life. ETHICALLY, they might be able to. You have to understand that the reqs for receiving kidney transplantation is different now than it was say 28 years ago. There are fewer people on the organ donation program and the number of people wanting a transplant has risen dramatically. But every tranplant center has its differences. If you find that you could not get on the list at one center then I suggest trying another until you can. Remember to work with the system and it will work with you. Next time they ask say NO, I dont do illegal drugs and never will. Then after its all over with, ask for Gods forgiveness and understanding as to why you had to answer that way. When society makes you commit self-incrimenation that is an injustice to you because it 'catagorizes' people from past action or experiences. People can change and I hope this womans husband finds the strength needed to change his life for her sake.

Yeah, my dialysis center told me to lie too. I hate doing that, but, yeah, they forced me to. The transplant center said that they had bad experiences with younger people doing drugs after a transplant and losing the transplant bc of it. I think it was more bc of my age, to tell the truth. (It was the Mayo Clinic, just to let you know since you are from here too.) I went to Shands for another evaluation, and they turned me down bc of my blood clotting disorder. My DR is trying to turn that around. If they don't change their minds, then I have to go to UAB.
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!