Subscribe to this Thread…

Thread: Salt Substitute

ligoh

Salt Substitute

I am used to a diabetic diet, but new to low sodium. What is the best salt substitute?

Thanks

You don't really specify but I'm guessing that since you are visiting this website that you are now on dialysis.

Either way, if you have diminished or decreasing urine output, you probably need to control the amount of potassium in your diet.

Salt, table salt as we know it, is made of two minerals, Sodium and Chloride, hence the "NaCl" abbreviation that you may or may not have seen.

Salt substitute is made of two different minerals, Potassium and Chloride (KCl). The mineral sodium is replaced by the mineral potassium.

So, true salt substitutes are not recommended for dialysis patients or anyone who is controlling the amount of potassium intake. Potassium plays a role in regulating the heartbeat or heart rate, and too much potassium can interfere with the proper rhythm of the heart.

There are, however, a number of herbs and spices that can be used to flavor foods in place of salt. Almost all of them, actually, as long as salt isn't in the name (for instance, use garlic powder vs. garlic salt). Try experimenting with many of them.

Hopefully, in the future, this very website will be able to provide you with suggestions, or link you to them.

In the meantime, try one of these websites for more info:
    culinarykidneycooks.com
    ikidney.com
    kidneydirections.com

Also, maybe you'll get more responses here.
    There are also a few herb-blends on the market that you can try. Just look at the label and make sure you don't see the words 'sodium' or 'potassium' on the list.

Good luck with your herb and spice experimenting!

disndat

salt substitutes WILL kill you

Quote Originally Posted by ligoh
    I am used to a diabetic diet, but new to low sodium. What is the best salt substitute?

Thanks
    Hi,
    I just wanted to let people know about the seriousness of the potassium issue with dialysis. My Mom was on a low salt diet for a good three years before her kidneys finally failed totally after an emergency illeostomy. We were used to using the "no salt" salt substitute before with good results.
    Everyone told us to not use them. I don't have the answers to why we didn't get it through our heads. There may have been contributing circumstances in my Mom's case but now....she is dead!!! The morning before she died...I did not use the salt substitute. But too little too late. My Mom and I were so very close. Especially the last several years as she had battled health problems. She was such a trooper. I am having trouble dealing with the guilt. Her potassium was 8.0!!! I wish I had the chance to tell her how sorry I am. I wish I had the last week of her life to live over...So, please, please, PLEASE...take the potassium threat very seriously. Good luck with your situation. Just know that everything is different when the kidneys are not working at all or at a very dimished rate. I would hate for anyone to go through what I am going through.
    disndat

Thank you so much for sharing this experience which must be so painful for you. Please try not to second-guess yourself, and know that sharing this true-life experience may do more good for others than any words a healthcare professional could say. Our thoughts are with you. Hold on to the happier memories you have, and may they be everlasting.

Zac M.

Salt Free Sugar Free No Potassium Substitute

you might want to try www.bensonsseasonings.com they have a great product line of stuff