Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    houston

which Protein is good for PD dialysis patient?

My hubby is on PD for 2 months, he has lost a lot weight, the doctor said he needs some protein powder, and recommended Pro-V60, it is very sweet, and he can hardly take it without 2 glass water, (which is too much liquid at once) so any one know a good brand have high protein, low phro. and no flavor?? I have searched internet and get more confused. thanks for sharing...

There are a number of protein powders on the market: ProMod, ProSource and ProStat are three that I can think of right now.

There are also powdered egg whites, generally in the baking section of the grocery store that can be used to enhance protein intake.

You can also try to increase your protein intake without supplements by trying some of the following tips:

Add an extra egg-white or two to an egg omelet.
    Dip meat in egg-white before cooking (chicken breast, pork chop, etc)
    Add an egg-white to a hamburger patty.

Add chopped egg to a green salad, macaroni salad, etc

Have some deviled eggs or a boiled egg as a snack (the white is where the protein is).

There are also some protein bars that are kidney-friendly. Ask the dietitian in your unit for a list. Good luck.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    The response of this moderator is not an attempt to address a specific condition. Please note that the DaVita.com discussion forums do not provide medical advice or professional opinions about specific conditions. The purpose of the discussion forums is to provide an opportunity for individuals to discuss end stage renal disease and related topics. The discussion forms are not a substitute for professional medical care. For questions or

houston
    Thank you, I will try the egg trick. you sound like a pro. thanks Maria

well try to improve his serum albumin level through diet.
    exact formula is 1.2-1.5gm protein per Kg body weight.
    well u can try AMWAY NUTRILITE PROTEIN POWDER.
    i have a great success in improving my albumin{protein}level from 2.5 to 4.
    have four egg white daily.try protein biscuits.
    diet should not b forced to the patient .
    have non veg daily,soya .

Quote Originally Posted by houston
    My hubby is on PD for 2 months, he has lost a lot weight, the doctor said he needs some protein powder, and recommended Pro-V60, it is very sweet, and he can hardly take it without 2 glass water, (which is too much liquid at once) so any one know a good brand have high protein, low phro. and no flavor?? I have searched internet and get more confused. thanks for sharing...

RiverDog
    Myself I use Next Nutritions Designer Whey Protein. 18 grams of protein per serving and comes in Strawberry and Vanilla and Chocolate. I mix it with 4 oz of water. Usually buy it online for 25.00 for a 5 pound tub of it.

carson
    I have been on PD for 9 yrs now. I have recently found a product (Canadian) that is called Naturels. They are soy based vegetarian products and so far I think they taste the best. I have tried all kinds of veggie products with much success. I know in the US there are Boca burgers, which are also pretty good, and I suspect there are many good meat alternatives as well.
    I also eat alot of egg whites as mentioned in other posts.
    My dietician gave me a protein powder called Bene-something. She said it is flavourless and colourless, but I don't like protein powders too much so I never actually tried it. There are many protein powders out there, just watch out for the phosphorous.

carson
    I forgot to mention cottage cheese. This is one thing the dietician keeps pushing on me. I mix it with a little fruit or some cinnamon or brown sugar to keep it interesting.

Stormorr

Cool Storm

I use ProCell it has no taste... you can add it to soup or potatoes that have been soaked or eggs or salad... cottage cheese... once it is in the food you can not find it.. but it is great...
    Storm

Leafsunbear
    Pro stat is a good protein liquid and it comes in a natural flavor. I can't stand any of the protein powders or liquids and pro stat is no exception, it is horrible too. I just try and shot it in a shot glass and chase it with some juice. Nephro is the name of a ensure like supplement drink that is for diaysls patients. There butter pecan and vanilla are both fairly ok tasteing. Really cold they aren't half bad.

As far as the vegetarian products, stay away from them. They usually contain nuts or soy, both of which aren't good for dialysis patients in most cases. I myself don't have the same issues, because I use Home Hemo. An In Center hemo patient needs to watch what they eat very closely though.

The egg white thing sounds like a good idea. You can sometimes find frozen egg whites in the grocery store. They come in milk carton like containers.

Protein is on of the most importent things to keep up once you start dialysis.
    Good luck;
    LSB

Talking Re: which Protein is good for PD dialysis patient?

AMWAY nut protein is very expensive. Try Glaxo Acti BASE which has the same ingredients with ~ similar composition and at 1/4 the cost.My doc receommended Amway nut protein for my pregnant wife. I found out that he is a AMWAY dalal. So I found this cheaper alternative. Hope this helps someone

Quote Originally Posted by Leafsunbear View Post
    Pro stat is a good protein liquid and it comes in a natural flavor. I can't stand any of the protein powders or liquids and pro stat is no exception, it is horrible too. I just try and shot it in a shot glass and chase it with some juice. Nephro is the name of a ensure like supplement drink that is for diaysls patients. There butter pecan and vanilla are both fairly ok tasteing. Really cold they aren't half bad.

As far as the vegetarian products, stay away from them. They usually contain nuts or soy, both of which aren't good for dialysis patients in most cases. I myself don't have the same issues, because I use Home Hemo. An In Center hemo patient needs to watch what they eat very closely though.

The egg white thing sounds like a good idea. You can sometimes find frozen egg whites in the grocery store. They come in milk carton like containers.

Protein is on of the most importent things to keep up once you start dialysis.
    Good luck;
    LSB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast