Subscribe to this Thread…
    sam's daughter

cushion for dialysis chair?

My 92 year old father recently started dialysis and while the recliner at the center looks comfortable, he finds it agonizingly uncomfortable. Someone suggested a gel mat or gel mattress. Anyone have a suggestion about this--where to get one, or perhaps another solution.
    Thanks

Smile

HI!---YA, If you check with a MEDICAL SUPPLY store in your town---they will help you get a cushion for you DAD! Look in your yellow pages of the phone book for the names! OR ask the nurse @ the Dialysis center. They might have a suggestion! SOON, I start Dialysis too, as my kidneys WILL fail during a hip surgery--I HAVE to have . I will get a permacath[neck] started during surgery-when they fail!---SO, I have been wondering about how it will be in the CHAIR for me too! This form has been VERY helpful and educating for ME!----Hope you find some answers here too!---I wish you well, and your DAD can sit in comfort!---HOPE I HELPED with MY suggestion!--Hang in there! GOD BLESS YOU GUYS!----BJ

Hopefully the cusion will help your chair.

I have gotten back problems from the chairs being too big where I go unfortunately.

Hope your sugery goes well and they give you a bed afterwards.

last time i had surgery they had no beds, so I had to be in a chair everytime I went to the unit...it was agonizing!

Smile Hey!!

HI!---THANKS!---I did-NOT know they had beds either! In fact, I should go visit the Department--before my surgery--May 30th. I wonder if they will let me? I can asked==right? How is your back now? Are you more comfortable now during the procedure?---GOOD LUCK to you too! GOD BLESS YOU!----BJ

BJ,

Alot of units have only reclining chairs. Some, in fact most hospital-affiliated facilities do use beds. Where I dialized only the chairs are available and they did a number on my neck. If you find only chair availability, use a pillow that fits under the neck, take a blanket for warmth (dialysis tends to lower the body temp) and sometimes a pillow for the rear end. The chairs recline quite far back and when prepared, can be fairly comfortable. Your hip will probably cause the most discomfort. Talk to you later.
    "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
    Linda
    Tx: 7/28/2005
    St. Louis University Hospital

Smile Hello!

Hey!---I went to visit the Dialysis Unit here in town yesterday! Just to check it out!--I called there first--they said--come on in!--So, I and my Grandaughter went for a visit!---No beds noted--reclining chairs! They will open their NEW unit the first part of JULY!! Might have beds then? Will have more chairs!---BUT, I will BRING MY PILLOWS, and BLANKET!!--Maybe afew MORE things too!----THANKS!! That is GOOD TO KNOW! Have a GOOD-DAY EVERYONE!!!!-----BJ

CajunSue

Smile

It is good for you to go and check out your center before dialysis starts, even talk to a patient to see what they think about the center. In my center there is a room with a bed in there, but only one. We have nice comfortable recliners for the other part of the center. When I started dialysis I was in the hospital so they started giving me dialysis in the hospital, they just wheeled my bed into a room with the machines.Good luck to you and remember to always ask questions if you have any, and learn all you can. Sue

meg43

Smile dialysis chair

My husband found the recliner to be very uncomfortable so I went to a foam place and had a piece of memory foam cut to fit the chair, along with a small piece to fit into the small of his back. It works great. That kind of foam costs about 12.00 for a piece to fit. You can also find the foam at Joann's fabric stores and some other fabric or upholstery stores. If you have a mattress factory near you, you could probably get a nice piece for less than that. Don't go too thin, but at least 2 inches would be good. I made a cover for Bob's cushion out of a fabric remnant and it works better because he can slide on and off rather than sticking to the foam. Hope this helps.