Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mare N

Post How I Break the Boredom

I've only been to dialysis 3 X's, but it didn't take long to know it's a boring wait just sitting for 3 hours. I take a book or magazine, along with my CD player and listen to music & read to pass the first to second hour. Tired of that I go to the TV and daydream for a spell. On upcoming appointments, I have decided to take my little DVD player and catch up on some overdue movie catch up. It works so far, but remember . . . this is still new to me. I should write again in 6 - 12 months, LOL. I'm sure new things will be needed to break the boredom of those. Who knows. I'm not complaining . . . I'm overjoyed that I can do this and enjoy each day I get. Take care all.
    Mare

10 year later :(

Hi,
    I've been doing this for almost 10 years so far!
    Hopefully I can get a break one day....
    (if not I'll go get a kidney in china...jk- well sort of )

I find it quite hard to pass the time.
    I used to be able to bring in schoolwork but find it much to hard to concentrate, esp when you feel so dizzy and with so much noise and no desk to write on.

I am lucky I have been able to buy a laptop and have access to a phone line so I can surf online and play computer gmes while i am there.

I also have alot of magazine subscriptions and sometime pick up the daily newspaper.

I usually leave all my magazines for other people as I am sure they appreciate them there.

I think maybe doing crosswords or word games might be fun too...I'll have to get some to bring in.

Also if you can not afford magazine subscriptions (alot of people can't) there are many good free magazines you can get esp if you live in the US.

What i have done to avoid the "spam"/junk emails is used a separate email address that I check once a week to delete all the crap email from!
    works great!

magazines I have gotten for free right now

Infoweek
    Dance magazine
    Small Times
    Horse Racer
    Golf for Women
    and many many others!

KISSA

Question Passing Time? ....

WELL LET'S SEE HERE....PASSING THE TIME IN DIALYSIS IS NEVER REALLY EASY FOR ME. ESPECIALLY BEING THE ANTSY PERSON THAT I AM. I'M USED TO BEING ON THE GO. SO I TRY TO READ, BUT I FALL ASLEEP. I TRY WATCHING TV, BUT THERE'S NOTHING ON TO MY INTEREST. THEN I PUT ON MY HEADPHONES,BUT THE MUSIC GETS... WELL....I'M SURE YOU GET THE PIC. I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR THREE MISERABLE YEARS. HERE'S HOPING THAT I GETR CLEARED FOR THE WAITING LIST SOON. PRE-TRANSPLANT SCREENING CAN BE A LITTLE ROUGH. THEY KEEP FINDING THINGS WRONG.
    HAVE A GOOD DAY EVERYONE!

Only two years in the chair

First mine is a 4 hour appointment. Second I volunteer at the center for three hours before my time. Its sort of like life and right now it is boring, I'm a type a personality. But
    it is not miserable, it keeps me alive and feeling good. Look forward to many more years of this kind of life. Hope for a kidney, reality says little chance, but still hope.
    A lot of my friends sleep, but it just can't come to me. Right now I'm in my movie watching mode and maybe that'll be my salvation for the next period. I can say there are some dumb ones made.
    So we all have days. Make them days now months, get envolved with something and fill time that way. Write letters to soldiers, become a volunteer for the Red Cross, for United Way, DaVita, or some other and use this 12 hours per week for that.
    But this is our life, be happy and prosper on it. Don't let it control your feelings. It's just our new life, hopefully for a long time.
    May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
    Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
    Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
    Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
    Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Another thing you could do it get books on tape or CD from your library. I love to have someone read to me that way. You can get pretty engrossed in a good story.

I am with Cicero. Find something worthwhile to do for others and do that during your hours on dialysis. To his suggestions I would add: 1) Learn to knit or crochet and make items for the needy or ill, 2) Write cards and letters to people in nursing homes who might not otherwise receive any mail, 3) Help do mailings and other clerical work for the charity of your choice, and 4) Offer to do mending and other small sewing chores for those who are not able to do them for themselves. And one more thing, if you think of the dialysis time as horrible, it will be. If you have a little inventiveness you can make your dialysis time pleasant for yourself and a help to others.
    To the stars through difficulty!

The books on tapes were my saviour.I used to get them at our local library as they can be very expensive to buy. I couldn't concentrate to read but could listen to a book Am now on PD but those tapes and the DVDs on my little player got me trhough some long days on hemo.. Good luck to all.
    Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn1947 View Post
    The books on tapes were my saviour.I used to get them at our local library as they can be very expensive to buy. I couldn't concentrate to read but could listen to a book Am now on PD but those tapes and the DVDs on my little player got me trhough some long days on hemo.. Good luck to all.
    Marilyn

I wonder if there's a place online where folks can exchange books on cd and tape?

Our local library has downloadable audiobooks. All you need is a library card. This is happening all over the country. You might check the website of your local library and see if they have downloadable books. It's free!

It's pretty pricy to buy the books on CD or tape but I'm sure you can find them used on Ebay or Craig's List or Google it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast