Subscribe to this Thread…
    rahul@rahulsaini.com

Exclamation Heart Attack + Dialysis

Hi my father had a minor attack last night - he is suffering with Kidney problem and undergoes dialysis twice every week, he has a history of a heart value replacement in 1999 since then he was fine untill last year when he had a kidney problem and he started undergoing dialysis which over a period had gone upto 2 times a week.

Last night he had a heart attack for the first time since 1999, somehow we are unable to find the real cause of the attack, would like to know is anyone has a similar case and would like to share experience and we would like to get suggestions on how to improve upon his health.

Thanks
    Rahul

CajunSue
    I don't know what caused the attack but I have learned that if you are having hemo dialysis you should have it three times a week for four hours, more if you are allowed and most centers only have four hours three times a week, I know that dialysis can be bad on your heart. Sue

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSue
    I don't know what caused the attack but I have learned that if you are having hemo dialysis you should have it three times a week for four hours, more if you are allowed and most centers only have four hours three times a week, I know that dialysis can be bad on your heart. Sue
    Sue,

In most cases you are correct, but some patients still have enough residual kidney function that once or twice a week is sufficient. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that if dialysis patients were started on dialysis BEFORE their kidneys fail, it may protect some of their residual function.

You are also correct about dialysis being hard on the heart, in addition to the complications from the original problems which led to the dialysis -- fluid overload, etc.

Lorelle

CajunSue
    Hum!!! I still pee so mayube when my labs are done next will show how good I am doing maybe I can get less days. Sue

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSue
    Hum!!! I still pee so mayube when my labs are done next will show how good I am doing maybe I can get less days. Sue
    It would be great if your Neph changed your dialysis prescription to a couple of days a week but I don't know how often that happens. Maybe one of the "long-timers" here knows.

Lorelle

CajunSue
    Well I can forget about that now, I have stopped peeing so I have to have dialysis three times a week.

CAPD dialysis is best for him as it is stress free and pain free and it can b done at home.

Quote Originally Posted by rahul@rahulsaini.com
    Hi my father had a minor attack last night - he is suffering with Kidney problem and undergoes dialysis twice every week, he has a history of a heart value replacement in 1999 since then he was fine untill last year when he had a kidney problem and he started undergoing dialysis which over a period had gone upto 2 times a week.

Last night he had a heart attack for the first time since 1999, somehow we are unable to find the real cause of the attack, would like to know is anyone has a similar case and would like to share experience and we would like to get suggestions on how to improve upon his health.

Thanks
    Rahul

Sue,

I started dialysis at 3 times a week for 3 hours and by the time of my transplant I did 2 days a week for 1 3/4 hours. Doesn't happen very often but I have heard of others who do shorter times. Takes quite a while for this to happen and labs determine the possibility. Even though OK'd by my neph longer dialysis sessions are advised and should consider this possibility carefully.
    "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
    Linda
    Tx: 7/28/2005
    St. Louis University Hospital

Re: Heart Attack + Dialysis

i just wanted to see the connection with dialysis and heart attacks . I never knew there was a connection til right now...My uncle just passed away last Monday while dialysis were being done..He's been doing this for quite awhile and was always in good spirits..They would drop him off in the morning and grandson pick him up in the evening..3x week..Well he gets there to find out his grandfather was in OR, caught a heart attack , they brought him back, and then caught another one..that was it..I went into search to see if this was common..Lord and behold, there it was..I still cannot understand the connection, but now i know this connection is real. My heart goes to all that have tis condition and if anyone has any information for me to try to understand why and how this happens i would really appreciate it..I dont like wondering, i like to get to the root of things because we never know when something is gonna come and bite us in the butt..Good Luck to all